Gay Marriage | News | Rhode Island

BigGayDeal.com

12-Year-Old with Two Moms Gives Amazing Testimony at Rhode Island Marriage Equality Hearing: VIDEO

Lennon

Sixth-grader Matthew Lannon testified at yesterday's marriage equality hearing in Rhode Island (which lasted until 5 am), telling the panel:

"If there's one thing you don't mess with in life, it's love. My parents and all the other gay and lesbian people here want to be happy, just like you. All they want is to be treated fairly. But unlike most of you, they have to come again here year after year and explain over and over why their love is equal to yours. This year, you have the opportunity to change that. I say, choose love.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's a line-up of bigots telling Lannon his mothers aren't worthy of marriage:

Bigots

(h/t david badash)

Comments

1. The saddest part of his testimony is when he explains how they have to keep coming back, year after year, trying to persuade a bunch of old bigots that their family is legitimate.

As inspiring as a lot of the testimony is at these sorts of hearings, it pisses me off that we are forced to beg and plead, to approach on our knees with cap in hand, all in a (often) vain attempt to be treated equally. It's degrading and dehumanizing.

Posted by: Lars | Mar 22, 2013 2:28:31 PM

2. But Matthew is a rock star.

Posted by: Lars | Mar 22, 2013 2:29:35 PM

3. Beautiful speech! This is so heart warming!

Does anyone have info on the family situation: his having "two moms and two dads"?

Posted by: A | Mar 22, 2013 3:34:29 PM

4. Kids like these will make the wild a better place.

Posted by: David | Mar 22, 2013 4:15:36 PM

5. * world (DYAC).

Also, he looks like a young brunette male version of Taylor Swift.

Posted by: David | Mar 22, 2013 5:32:16 PM

6. An amazing young man! What poise and serenity. A testament and tribute to his family, in all its permutations.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 23, 2013 9:32:08 AM

7. I am an 85 YO Gay man. Imagine a life time of being Gay and living in a world populated with these now tired old f*rts. Visualize a world where if a person like me fell in love we risked spending our lives in prison or an insane asylum. Fight on, victory is in sight! To see a boy like that from a Gay home join the fight for our freedom brings tears to my eyes. I feel I have years to go before I sleep, but when that time comes I will die a happy man saying as Dr. King suggested, “Free at last, free at last, thank God all mighty we are free at last.”

Posted by: Ray T. | Mar 23, 2013 10:41:19 AM