Film | Liberace | Matt Damon | Michael Douglas | News

Matt Damon Did His Doggie-Style 'Liberace' Sex Scene with Michael Douglas in a Single Take

Liberace

Michael Douglas and Matt Damon's Liberace and Scott Thorson, respectively, come to life on the cover of the new Entertainment Weekly this Friday:

EW writes:

Damon and Douglas give a frank, funny interview about filming one of the weirdest, glitziest gay love stories ever put on film, one that required both actors to do things they’d never done before onscreen. Like, say, wearing a metallic thong — and nothing else. “Every Sunday night, this girl would come to my house and I would stand in my garage and I would hike my boxer briefs up into the crack of my a– and she would give me a spray tan,” explains Damon, who spends plenty of the movie in tiny swimsuits, and wasn’t too excited about his real-life wife seeing his bronzed backside. “We’ve been through three childbirths, we’ve been in the trenches, there are no secrets. But I really wish she didn’t see that. That’s too much.”

And this:

As for their sex scenes together (and trust us, the movie has plenty), Damon and Douglas both say that shooting a moment of passion is always awkward, no matter who’s involved. “The scene where I’m behind him and going at him, we did that in one take,” recalls Damon, laughing. “We do it. Cut. There’s a long pause. And then you just hear Steven go, “Well… I have no notes.”

The film this week got a teaser that didn't show any of that, of course.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I can understand my mother not knowing that Rock Hudson was gay (although I could even as a young boy and my Gaydar went off every time I watched McMillan and Wife), but Liberace?

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 7, 2013 7:51:18 AM

2. Creepy.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 7, 2013 8:08:52 AM

3. I really don't understand all the hoopla about the make-up they had to put on to make them look like Liberace and Scott Thorsen....to me they still look like Michael Douglas and Matt Damon (albiet in wigs).

Posted by: CB | Mar 7, 2013 8:26:24 AM

4. Is Liberace really that interesting to anybody under 64? And I'm including members of the gay community. Is this movie suppose to be anything other than a sideshow spectacle?

Posted by: Mike | Mar 7, 2013 8:29:02 AM

5. If you want to do a good biopic, you either cast an actor with remarkable ability to disappear into a role (see: Meryl Streep) or you cast one that can act well enough but just looks eerily like the subject (see: Jamie Foxx). Douglas and Damon strike me as stunt casting ("look, it's two married, very straight guys in flamboyant costumes and having gay sex!"). It reminds me a bit of Antonio Banderas and Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. And I've never seen Soderbergh depict any adult sexual/romantic relationship, much less handle a major gay character.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 7, 2013 8:53:22 AM

6. Completely agree with you, Mike.
    Although, I hope it really is interesting to anyone under 64. Otherwise I smell an Oscar already...

Posted by: Jeremy | Mar 7, 2013 8:53:39 AM

7. @JEREMY: It's an HBO movie. So Emmy, maybe. I will watch. I know absolutely nothing about Liberace. I want to know what the big deal is/was.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 7, 2013 8:57:25 AM

8. I'm not yet over 64, but I do recall seeing Liberace on TV when I was a kid, while channel surfing (standing right next to the TV back then of course - no such thing as a remote back then!). I never could understand his appeal. Not a great pianist, tacky arrangements, and just plain weird. I do remember the palimony case though. And I was totally on the bf's side.

Posted by: DrMikey | Mar 7, 2013 9:31:17 AM

9. Even my grandmother picked up that Liberace was gay - although she didn't use the term and I don't know about her knowledge of homosexuals. She said he seemed to be too much like a woman or some such thing. And I have to admit at the time I hadn't figured it out.

Posted by: Jim | Mar 7, 2013 9:39:38 AM

10. My grandmother adored Liberace, and I think was completely clueless as to his sexuality. I'm not sure why this is being made. Victor Garber portrayed Liberace in a 1988 made for TV film, "Liberace: Behind the Music". While I'm sure the HBO production will be racier, the 1988 film was excellent and Garber was totally believable as Liberace. As for the comment above about Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas in Philadelphia, I didn't see that as "stunt" casting at all - they were both incredibly believable in their roles; maybe you had to work in law (as I did at one time) to appreciate how closeted men had to be in some professions.

Posted by: Charles | Mar 7, 2013 9:41:43 AM

11. I am under 64 (for another 2 decades) and I remember Liberace very well. Hell, he was even on the Muppet Show!

As to Michael Douglas looking like Liberace, I think he is pretty damn close.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Mar 7, 2013 9:45:45 AM

12. It's very narrow-minded to say that because somebody didn't live during my own lifetime then the biopic of that person is not interesting ...
    I had to force myself to check Liberace out on Youtube and found him very intriguing... therefore I can't wait to see what they come up with!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Mar 7, 2013 9:56:49 AM

13. Seems unnecessarily salacious. Expected more from Damon

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 7, 2013 10:07:23 AM

14. I can empathize with Matt Damon. If I had to do a sex scene with Michael Douglas, I'd try to limit it to one take as well.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Mar 7, 2013 10:25:44 AM

15. From the articles it sounds to me as if our lives are being reduced to salacious sex in this movie. I still wish our stories could be told without making it about sex. Not that I am against sex, it is that our lives are often portrayed as such by the evangelicals, brought into the public sphere with derision, and made a factor in our public portrayal. When I stand at a city council meeting and am known as an out gay citizen, I want people to see me as a loving partner, not a sex partner. Perception becomes reality.

I would watch Liberace any time I could, because I enjoyed his comfort with himself and with playing music at the piano. Something I had much difficulty with on both accounts as a young boy.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 7, 2013 10:32:12 AM

16. Why did they have to include sex scenes, anyway? Who's been dying to see Liberace getting plowed? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see a naked Matt Damon, but come on!

Posted by: Paulie | Mar 7, 2013 10:32:15 AM

17. I think Victor Garber was more of a dead-on ringer for Liberace, but some of the clips I've seen of Douglas (aside from that dreadful cover shot where he's obviously wearing a rug) have been more than passable. And Damon (though at least 10 years too old) is pretty darn close. I vaguely remember the TV movie, but you can bet this will be a lot more of a warts-and-all look.

Oddly, I was showing "Good NIght and Good Luck" to a bunch of high school Social Studies students this week, which has a prominent bit with Liberace being interviewed (circa 1954) and gushing about someday hoping to find true love ("I've heard Princess Margaret is still single!"). The kids, of course, completely missed the irony and dark humor of this, having thankfully grown up in a world now where gay people (including our adorable Marine couple today) are now commonplace. I mentioned who Liberace was in passing, so it's a kick to know that now those kids will see this EW cover.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 7, 2013 11:01:05 AM

18. If you watch "Out Of Sight" with Clooney and J Lo, Soderberg does know how to bring the sexy.

Posted by: e.c. | Mar 7, 2013 11:13:52 AM

19. Interesting that no one has commented on the underlying homophobia (fear/discomfort of homosexuality) presented by Matt Damon in mentioning the discomfort with the sex scenes, having done it in one take, as well as Soderburgh, saying he had no notes. It reminds me of those interviews in which actors who do gay scenes have to giggle and reiterate that they are straight and are holding on for dear life a wife or girlfriend during an interview. I still find it disturbing that men do these parts but clearly are not mature enough to deal with it. Certainly the Milk actors never displayed this behaviour in interviews.

Posted by: Critifur | Mar 7, 2013 11:27:51 AM

20. This was filmed with the intent of a theatrical release, so at least it should be of high technical quality. I barely remember Liberace, but he was quite a character - and thus worthy of a bio-pic whether any particular audience member personally remembers him or not.

Steven Soderbergh directed, which I thought was a badge of automatic quality - until I saw "Magic Mike." But I still have high hopes for this. Most of Soderbergh's stuff is good.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 7, 2013 1:40:18 PM

21. I'm interested in seeing a good movie and I think this one will be good and probably funny too. I'm 46 and remember a little about Liberace and hearing about the lover when Liberace died.

Why are there always the negative nellies on this site?

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 7, 2013 2:24:45 PM

22. I'll love this movie because it will fly in the face of everything about today's gays. Who would dream being gay would turn into this uptight "marriage" culture. You can argue "rights" but we didn't feel not having them -- and we know they're merely a guise to feel "accepted" by the straight world. (good luck with that one) Being gay took a lot more guts then than many of you possess today. It was a different experience -- a better one. We knew the rules.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 7, 2013 3:06:06 PM

23. Another version of "The Birdcage". Step and Fechit gays that the straights can laugh at/with and feel good about themselves...I'll pass

Posted by: Whatever | Mar 7, 2013 5:16:38 PM

24. @Charles: I also worked in law. The movie Philadelphia did ring true to me in how it portrayed what it meant to be gay and working in a firm in that era (and still today in most firms). Hanks and Banderas seemed like a stunt because I didn't see either really fleshed out as a full character, and they generated no chemistry on screen (not because physical intimacy wasn't depicted much, but because there just wasn't that intangible "spark" you get with some pairings). I feel like two other actors would have served the roles much better, but they were chosen because they were big names. To me, Denzel was the one character that didn't feel like a caricature.

That's my long way of saying that I think this could be a good movie, but I don't see a spark between Douglas and Damon, and I don't have any evidence that either is enough of an actor to convincingly be half of a gay relationship on screen.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 7, 2013 5:25:57 PM

25. Where are today's good examples? They seem to be coming out of one man's imagination. TV characters on "Glee" and "The New Normal" Normal is funny, but of course the couple is so rich and successful "they don't need anything." (Baby shower episode) They had a puppy (prep for the coming baby) but it got run over. May be time for the vomit bag when the baby does indeed arrive.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 7, 2013 5:27:39 PM