The Teaser Trailer For Liberace Biopic Movie: Video

DouglasHBO has just released a teaser for the upcoming film, Behind the Candelabra airing on the cable channel May 26. Watch the clip, which includes plenty of piano-playing as well as a shot of Matt Damon and Michael Douglas sharing both a toast and a bath, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. That looks way better than I expected, but it could still be a train wreck. Douglas is far more accurate than I expected---he looks far more like Liberace than I expected. Damon is a good effeminate guy.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 31, 2013 2:43:27 PM

2. Is he impersonating Tim Donut downstairs or the other way round?

Posted by: simon | Mar 31, 2013 3:20:43 PM

3. They are really doling it out aren't they?

Can't wait!!!

Posted by: Ray | Mar 31, 2013 5:07:19 PM

4. This looks very good.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 31, 2013 5:20:18 PM

5. This could be very interesting!

Posted by: ernest1960 | Mar 31, 2013 5:47:00 PM

6. I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch this. Completely baffled by the whole thing.

Posted by: tim b | Mar 31, 2013 6:23:26 PM

7. I'm fascinated in spite of myself. Soderberg is a major director and Douglas and Damon are both A-list actors, so what do they find so interesting in a bio-pic about a camp performer whom most people under 40 (or maybe 50!) barely remember today? And yet, real money and real talent were invested in the project. I do want to see it, just to find out.

Posted by: Profe Sancho | Mar 31, 2013 6:38:54 PM

8. Soderbergh told me it was Douglas that got him onto the project. When he told Soderbergh he wanted to do Liberac biopic Soderbergh told him that he couldn't see it. Then Douglas said "It's a love story" and Soderbergh lit up at the prospect.

From this trailer it looks to be as slick as Lee himself.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 31, 2013 7:33:45 PM

9. Tim B, you can stop imagining, I want to watch it and so does my partner. It looks like fun and might be what movies are made for, ENTERTAINING.

So many judgmental pricks, so few people of substance anymore.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 31, 2013 7:38:26 PM

10. Like it, I will see it.

Posted by: MArk | Mar 31, 2013 8:05:32 PM

11. Like it, I will see it.

Posted by: MArk | Mar 31, 2013 8:05:33 PM

12. Somehow Michael Douglas didn't quite catch Liberace's gayface. He still looks like a straight man in Liberace drag.

Posted by: hamish108 | Apr 1, 2013 12:46:27 AM

13. I'm so excited for this! I've actually heard a lot was invested in it and to me, it looks kind of...riveting.

Posted by: Rio | Apr 1, 2013 1:02:22 AM

14. I loved Liberace. I loved what he stood for..his unapologetic flamboyance. His being true to himself, his style, his taste and back then! In a culture where gay men pride themselves in being "straight acting!" I just really look at a Liberace and think..."you go boy!"

Posted by: Leonard | Apr 1, 2013 1:04:08 AM

15. I'm not at all opposed to straight men playing gay parts and vice versa, BUT...Liberace was one where I always felt a gay actor could really register his heart, his soul, his being. He led a fascinating life. I'm curious to see how this is done and I'm glad it was made.

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 1, 2013 1:07:20 AM

16. This looks embarrassing, just like Liberace was. He was ridiculous. I looked at him as a kid and thought what is it? Now a movie about him? What for? No one wants to know about the private life of a drag queen for Christ's sake. Do they? Why? It's certainly not a love story, it's the mockery of a love story because Liberace was self mockery itself. Plus he was a mockery of being gay, a parody. Gah. I just don't want to see it. Just bring some of the popcorn home, I'll enjoy that.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 1, 2013 1:08:55 AM

17. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/nyregion/dolan-church-should-be-more-welcoming-of-gays.html
    NYT has a similar picture.

Posted by: simon | Apr 1, 2013 1:38:53 AM

18. I still don't understand the casting of Matt Damon. Damon's in his mid-forties, Scott Thorson was a teenager when they meet...and only 22 when he filed-suit against Liberace

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Apr 1, 2013 10:53:38 AM

19. Ted, dear,

This is your fairy godmother.... Do you believe in Movie Magic? LOL

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 1, 2013 2:14:11 PM

20. UFFDA,

Believe it or not, Lee brought some high art in the form of vulgarized classical music to those housewives (For example, the mother of People's Tenor, The Voice, across the pond.), who would otherwise have been stuck only with Lawrenc Welk's.
    I think that's something, even though that gaudiness and outrageous flamboyance are a major turnoff for me, too!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 1, 2013 2:20:40 PM

21. UFFDA,

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 1, 2013 2:20:42 PM

22. Sadly this is based on a book in which I have no confidence. In my opinion the author was trying to shakedown Liberace. He claimed he was seduced as "just a child" trying to get money from Liberace. He also told interviewers he is not and was not gay. Sounds like a hustler. After claiming Liberace was the only man he ever had sex with he then sold a story to the National Inquirer claiming he had sex with Michael Jackson as well. He has been linked several times to criminal elements and had went into witness protection and last I heard he was in prison again for ID theft and using a stolen credit card to pay his bill in Vegas. I just don't think this guy has any credibility and to use his "account" as the basis for the film is highly questionable.

Posted by: James Peron | Apr 1, 2013 3:56:56 PM