California | Michelle Shocked | News

Michelle Shocked Said She'll Be Showing Up to Her Canceled Show Tonight; Venue Tells Her 'Don't Come'

Mccabes
(image source)

Michele Shocked told followers on Twitter yesterday that she would show up at McCabe’s in Santa Monica despite the fact that they had announced cancelation of her show over her anti-gay remarks (listen to them HERE), according to the Hollywood Reporter:

2_shockedFriday afternoon, the beleaguered singer tweeted that she would be appearing at Saturday night at McCabe’s in Santa Monica for a “speaking engagement” on the subject of “Effects of Gay-Bashing on the L.A. Mayoral Race.”

This came as news to the club -- and not good news.

“She is not welcome at McCabe’s,” said the venue’s angry concert director, Lincoln Myerson, who had just learned about Shocked’s vow -- or threat -- to show up after he got calls regarding the singer’s mysterious tweet.

McCabe's had not heard from Shocked since they announced her show's cancelation. Neither had any of the other 10 venues which canceled.

THR adds:

“Had Michelle attempted to talk to me [about taking part in some kind of nonmusical forum], I might have attempted to work something out with her." Myerson said. "But for her to go rogue on this shows that she’s her own sheriff. If she wants to do it at the park down the street, she can do it there, but she can’t do it at McCabe’s. I’m not intending to clean up this mess for her. I wish I could get on and tweet, ‘Hey, it’s at her house -- here’s her address.'"

Asked by The Hollywood Reporter via Twitter if she intended to make her "appearance" some sort of guerrilla action, Shocked, who was arrested two years ago at an Occupy protest, responded: "OK, OCCU-PIE!!" She also retweeted a fan who said: "You mean like on the sidewalk in front of @McCabesGuitar? It doesn't get much more punk rock than that. I'm there."

The police have been alerted to a possible appearance by Shocked and/or angry activists.

Stay tuned...

Comments

1. Just because she needs help doesn't mean I'm going to suffer her insults.

Yeah, I agree with the post above; go back to Jesus.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 23, 2013 1:59:55 PM

2. @Arrant: Looks like I'm not the only one who uses the phrase "Anne Heching" (AKA Going lesbian to advance your career)

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 23, 2013 2:24:00 PM

3. Uhhhh...yea. And have the department of mental health there with a straight jacket ready to take her away.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 23, 2013 2:31:11 PM

4. No pun intended....straight jacket...lol

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 23, 2013 2:31:31 PM

5. Michelle was no doubt shocked when the Rapture claimed all her remaining tour stops.

Who's sorry now? Who's sad and blue? Who's cryin', too?

Posted by: Ninong | Mar 23, 2013 2:40:27 PM

6. She should go on the road with the Westboro Baptist Church. She would fit right in.

Posted by: Ninong | Mar 23, 2013 2:44:56 PM

7. Your so-called career is over, Michelle. But don't worry, it's in God's plan. ;-)

Posted by: Ottograph | Mar 23, 2013 3:13:47 PM

8. So bizarre. I had forgotten about her sometime in the very early 1990s, and before that was sure she was a lesbian. Huh. Odd. Had no idea she turned into some reborn fundie homophobe.

I agree with another poster though, after I heard her rant, it does indead sound as though she is having some sort of emotional or mental difficulties. If that's the case, I can't really hate her. People with mental illness need to be helped, not chastised. I had a cousin with schizophrenia who, in less lucid states, would believe that Jews were following him in cars and trying to destroy him. Not that I condone what she said, mind you...I think she needs to go away and get some treatment. She doesn't sound well at all. But, I don't think she's deserving of hatred, as she sounds quite ill.

Posted by: Einar | Mar 23, 2013 3:36:41 PM

9. She long ago was out about being bisexual. They are trouble. In and out of the closet they go. They also love to say they are not gay.

Posted by: RJP3 | Mar 23, 2013 3:45:22 PM

10. I slightly hate to admit it, but I'm with RJP3. Bisexuals have caused a lot more trouble in my life than gays, lesbians, or transsexuals.

And a lot of people think that I'm bi. Which I find hilarious.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 23, 2013 4:24:56 PM

11. I think she's a couple of tacos, an enchilada and a side of beans and rice short of a combination platter.

She needs to get on some meds. Now.

Ironic that it's hard to tell the difference between mental illness and religious fundamentalism. Or, maybe not so ironic...

Posted by: Jacknasty | Mar 23, 2013 5:17:58 PM

12. This is what happens when Republicans allow health insurance companies to deny mental health claims.

Posted by: Icebloo | Mar 23, 2013 5:31:33 PM

13. "She's just one more self entitled angry dyke
    Posted by: chasmader | Mar 23, 2013 12:00:35 PM"

And you perhaps are just one more misogynistic gay male?

With "friends" like you, who needs the bigoted, women-hating, Christian-right?

You and Ms. Shocked have something in common, chasmader. You're both idiots.

Posted by: Kip | Mar 23, 2013 5:34:27 PM

14. Shocked is just a PUNK!

Posted by: andrew | Mar 23, 2013 5:36:15 PM

15. Why hasn't the gay media criticized Rihanna for expressing admiration for murder musicIans who advocate the killing of gay people? Too big of a target for you?

Posted by: Adam | Mar 23, 2013 5:38:10 PM

16. I expect Rihanna will turn up in the morgue any day now.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 23, 2013 6:35:42 PM

17. I hope the police use a Taser on her so the headline will be "Michelle Shocked Shocked".

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Mar 23, 2013 6:42:26 PM

18. Who is this idiot and why is Towleroad paying so much attention to her?? Consign her to the dustbin of history and be done with it.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Mar 23, 2013 7:42:07 PM

19. Shocked's actions seem very erratic. She must have some sort of mental disorder.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Mar 23, 2013 8:32:23 PM

20. Pico Blvd. is pretty busy on Saturday night. She'll be lucky to find a place to park.

Posted by: Rexford | Mar 23, 2013 11:11:41 PM

21. So...Did she show up at McCabe's?

Posted by: Bill | Mar 24, 2013 11:15:55 AM

22. Steve Scarborough: the "medication" in this case is her damnable evangelical christianity, which is an odious mind drug that corrupts anyone who chooses the evangelical lifestyle.

Let her show up. I'm sure there's enough of us who can show her that maybe she should just stick to the evangelical coffee club circuit, which is more her speed.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 24, 2013 12:57:28 PM

23. Next year, she'll be like Sarah Palin: doing anything just to get some attention. Woman, you blew, now crawl back under your rock with your religion.

Posted by: darkmoonman | Mar 24, 2013 2:14:07 PM

24. I strongly suspect she had a manic episode and needs help, but all of the anti gay talk was hating her own gay side which she is trying to suppress. You put religion with bipolar conditions and you get trouble. I am speaking from experience. I think she has killed her career unfortunately for her. She is getting help too late.

Posted by: John | Mar 24, 2013 8:05:08 PM

25. @ Bill

This is what the San Francisco Examiner reported about Shocked's no-show at McCabes.

"In the end she appeared at another event for homeless people instead, according to music writer Chris Willman on Twitter."

Source: http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainment/scoop/2013/03/michelle-shocked-continues-behave-erratically-after-anti-gay-rant-san-fr#ixzz2OinmBzHU

Posted by: Rexford | Mar 27, 2013 3:10:05 AM