Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Gay Marriage | Mike Huckabee | News | Republican Party

Mike Huckabee: Evangelicals Will 'Take a Walk' if GOP Supports Marriage Equality - VIDEO

Huckabee

Mike Huckabee is asked by Newsmax if he thinks the GOP will pivot to support marriage equality:

“They might. And if they do, they’re going to lose a large part of their base because evangelicals will take a walk. And it’s not because there’s an anti-homosexual mood, and nobody’s homophobic that I know of, but many of us, and I consider myself included, base our standards not on the latest Washington Post poll, but on an objective standard, not a subjective standard. I have great sympathy and extraordinary admiration for Sen. Portman. I consider him a friend and I value his work in the Senate and think he’s a great person. The mistake is that we sometimes base our public policy decisions on how we feel, how we think, maybe even some personal experiences, and we don’t regard a lot of these issues from the standpoint of an objective standard."

Comments

1. Good. I'll be more than happy to direct them to the nearest short pier.

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 26, 2013 11:57:15 AM

2. Since when is "gays are icky" and "I don't want to share rights and privledges with perverts" and objective standard? In what way has the anti-gay movement been in any way objective? It's all about feelings of fear, ignorance and hatred, bud. Nice try on that one, and hey, by all means split up the party... Works for me.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Mar 26, 2013 12:18:28 PM

3. Uh... the headline here should be "Major GOP Leader: No reason to be a Republican if you're not anti-gay"

Posted by: BobN | Mar 26, 2013 12:23:25 PM

4. Well, Mike, don't let that door hit you and your conservative buddies in your big, fat, Chick-Fil-A @$$es on the way out.

Oh, and, Mike, you're argument about subjective vs. objective is disingenuous and intellectually false.

You ARE homophobic. You ARE anti-homosexual. And, your opinions are NOT objective but subjective--based on an erroneous belief in a book of myths called the bible.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 26, 2013 12:50:26 PM

5. Speak for yourself, you Huckster!
    An evangelical megachurch pastor, Rob Bell, just came out in support of SSM!
    So, move your lazy fat ass and get on with the program!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Mar 26, 2013 1:34:12 PM

6. Mike's career on the national scene only got a lift when he won in Iowa, and then his campaign tanked everywhere else, losing to a moderate in John McCain. So, if Evangelicals walk, it would only affect the earliest parts of the nomination race. I hardly think Chris Christie is too worried about that. Evangelicals also could not put Romney over the top either in the general election. Finally, the current poster boy for the religious right is Catholic Rick Santorum, from PA, a state that's very socially moderate. In fact, Rick lost an election in his own state, showing that he drifted too far out of the NE Catholic mainstream to win.

Posted by: anon | Mar 26, 2013 1:43:02 PM

7. Some of my friends are gay, I just don't want them to be my equals. That don't fly Huckabee!

Posted by: andrew | Mar 26, 2013 2:26:43 PM

8. Walk where? There is no where to go, Mr. Huckabee.

Posted by: Nino | Mar 26, 2013 2:35:27 PM

9. DONT WALK AWAY MAD. JUST WALK AWAY.

Posted by: tim | Mar 26, 2013 3:13:02 PM

10. And where are there religious bigots going to go-the Vatican?!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 26, 2013 5:20:51 PM

11. Jesus would offer love to the religious right homophobic, xenophobic racists without agreeing with them at all. They are not and cannot be, in any sense of the faith, Christian. All they do is use Christianity to advance their own pathetic fears and political goals. What scum.

Posted by: Swinedance | Mar 26, 2013 7:23:09 PM

12. Taking a walk would do Huckabee some good.

Posted by: Andy | Mar 27, 2013 12:37:18 PM