Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8 | Supreme Court

President Obama Speaks Out About Why He is Opposing Proposition 8 at the Supreme Court: VIDEO

Obama

At a news conference this afternoon, President Obama was asked about his administration's amicus brief to the Supreme Court urging it to strike down Proposition 8.

The specific question presented before the Court right now is whether Prop 8 and the California law is unconstitutional and what we’ve done is we’ve put forward a basic principle which applies to all equal protection cases. Whenever a particular group is being discriminated against, the court asks the question, what is the rational for this. And it better be a good reason. And if you don’t have a good reason, we’re going to strike it down.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And be sure to check out our legal expert Ari Ezra Waldman's ANALYSIS of the brief HERE.

(via think progress)

Comments

1. LITTLE KIWI's slanderous accusation that I am a racist is totally crossing the line, is off base and really childish and stupid.

I am more convinced that KIWI is stuck in a fantasy bubble thinking that I'm a white male whose only purpose in life is to get at Obama for because he's black. FYI, I am a person of color and a gay activist for over a decade.

Now I will just have to take everything KIWI says to be based on his bigoted and ignorant world view. Which I may add, can no longer be taken seriously in a discussion involving legal facts and case law.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 4:24:31 PM

2. Are you Soto or Pietrangello because you're now replyin as if you're both. I've not even being reading YOU, dude. so chill out.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 1, 2013 4:32:30 PM

3. When is Obie going to do something about ENDA?

Posted by: rise | Mar 1, 2013 4:33:11 PM

4. that said, if you think a "person of colour" can't be racist, and even a self-hating racist, i should introduce you to the self-hating homophobic gay men who troll here miserably.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 1, 2013 4:33:21 PM

5. Little Kiwi: Again, most of your last post refutes itself. I will say this. You certainly did not march with Lt. Choi for the last few years if/since you don't know who I am or what I've done for equality or if/since you made that comment about Lt. Choi's breakdown .

Second, no matter how much you try to walk your original comment regarding Lt. Choi and his breakdown back, the simple fact is that you conflated mine and Lt. Choi's criticism of Obama with Lt. Choi's breakdown, i.e., you conflated criticism of Obama with mental illness (and racism). You should be ashamed, esp. given the stigma that the mentally ill face in society due to comments like yours.

Posted by: James E. Pietrangelo, II | Mar 1, 2013 4:36:23 PM

6. @KDNA
    "everyone keeps calling for an executive order"
    ----
    I would be inclined to agree with your sentiment if it wasn't for the fact that he agreed to do it in 2008. Yes he has 3 more years to go. But it is quite strange that it has taken him almost 5 years to sign a simple executive order. I wonder how many more years he needs to do something he PROMISED to the gay community. If he was a true statesman he would come out and say "look you guys I've promised you this, but for XYZ reason I can't do it, sorry..." I think that would be commendable and it is something he rarely ever does: take responsibility. We are talking about Washington though.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 4:39:16 PM

7. Jose: I HAVE been reading your comments, and I find them compelling, as fair and objective. I think it is telling of Little Kiwi (and Obama whom he supports) that 1) Little Kiwi didn't even bother to read your posts, and 2) then had the gall to slander you as racist and self-hating. That's all Obama supporters have as argument--ad hominem attacks. Thank you Jose for demanding full equality for Gay people, rather than laud calls like Obama's for "separate but equal" or limited equality. I'm signing off for now. We've established our point beyond refutation.

Posted by: James E. Pietrangelo, II | Mar 1, 2013 4:47:41 PM

8. @LITTLE KIWI,

I don't think I need to 'chill out.' I'm fine. I'm not the one using the race card or making stupid unfounded accusations about people like myself who disagree with SOME things has done.

I read all the comments. And that specific comment was directed at everybody, don't try an backtrack out of this one.

We are not talking about racists, self hating gays, self hating blacks etc. We are talking about Obama's brief. I am judging the content of such document. I don't view Obama as a 'black' president, but rather a politician lacking any good qualities and character. Didn't MLK say to judge people based on the content of their character and not on the color of their skin? But yet YOU are the one who sees Obama as a 'black President' you look at him and say BLACK GUY!!! I look at him and say: hey what about that executive order you promised?

Please for your own sake, grow up.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 4:48:42 PM

9. Jose: Absolutely well said.

Posted by: James E. Pietrangelo, II | Mar 1, 2013 4:52:08 PM

10. The days while this case is being heard by SCOTUS will be mind destroying......i am not looking forward to reading the smug self righteous words of that "I'm the cleverest bot in the class", bastard, Scalia.

I know in advance that I will be incandescent.....but I will be unable to resist following every bitter Catholic taunt of his pre judged bile.
    Recuse yourself Scalia, have a modicum of self respect.
    President Obama has had the decency to reflect on his views and change them.
    Scalia is locked in vitriol and last century prejudice.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 1, 2013 5:01:09 PM

11. Perhaps they're the same person?

No. But it doesn't matter.

Comments were being eaten today, so I decided to go for the pithy and obvious conclusion. I read the brief last night. And it is far from the wrongheaded readings of it that people whose names begin with J (apologies to JFKNT) persist in giving it. I read the blog. Wrong. I just don't want to waste my time.

Let history judge.

Posted by: KevinVT | Mar 1, 2013 5:21:26 PM

12. @JACKFKNTWIST

Scalia is a fascist, plain and simple. I read a lot his rants (or opinions as he calls them) and they are borderline lunacy. If you really want to see an activist Judge, well here you have one.

I will be attending the hearing myself. Though the stakes are high it is really who has the best argument justices Kennedy and Roberts can rely on. The four justices on the 'liberal' side have no doubt already made up their minds before going to sleep last night if not in fact years ago. Scalia Musolini, Thomas the Mute, Alito the Altar Boy can all pretty much bite me.

We are literally INCHES away from making history. We don't need politicians throwing bones at gay people. Yes Obama, we know you LOVE us, blah blah blah... We need ACTION. Legalize gay marriage across the nation, uphold the 14th amendment, call it a day, and move on the other important issues that also need our attention, not pandering.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 5:22:31 PM

13. @KEVINVT

"Let history judge."

By that time it would be too late if this thing gets screwed up. I prefer to judge right now in the present so that 'history' will worth wild teach to future generations. It is very promising. The comments on Towleroad are simply rolling off my back, though I find the religious defense of a politician who has been caught lying to be titillating.

And of course some commenters have failed to address the *NEW* legal theory proposed by Obama.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 5:29:29 PM

14. Jose Soto - "too late to stop this thing??" Huh? Are you implying your comments posted to a story on gay blog on the internet are going to halt a Supreme Court clerk's consideration of the amicus brief filed by the President of the United States? Get over yourself.

Go ahead and have all the opinions you want, but have delusions of grandeur somewhere else, huh?

These are all just exchanged of opinion here, but it's not helped by people hearing and reading entirely different things in English from the same exact sources (in this case, the interview and the legal brief). I leave that nonsense to the Teapublicans. I've no stomach for it here among purported progressives.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 1, 2013 6:03:55 PM

15. I can't read all of these rants...life is too short. I just come to the conclusion that mental illness attaches itself just as easily to the gay gene as the straight gene. I can only suggest that maybe someday, gene therapy will include culling the nutjobs from both persuasions. Bye, bye...James & Jose.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Mar 1, 2013 6:05:16 PM

16. But Jose, it's you and your alter ego James that chose to put this in a historical context by comparing Barack Obama to George Wallace.

For the purposes of my argument I am conceding a Wallace/Obama comparison (which is, in actuality, ludicrous on its' face).

For example, I really didn't like it in 2008 when candidate Obama talked out of both sides of his mouth on Prop 8...that is, he was against gay marriage but also against Proposition 8.

So never let it be said that I haven't had my beefs with the president on a number of things.

But Obama, like George Wallace, came around to a position on the right side of history.

Yet you don't give the acknowledgement to Obama that black people did give to George Wallace when George Wallace joined the right side of history.

I wonder why that is.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 1, 2013 6:10:00 PM

17. Ok. Clint Eastwood has just added his name. That's a BIG one, too, publicity-wise! This will insure other names and groups hop onto the bandwagon.

I hold NO GRUDGES, either, for past stanced (ie, David Frum!), I want ALL to hop onto this bandwagon! Time to come out of the woodwork! ♥ ♥

Posted by: will | Mar 1, 2013 6:10:42 PM

18. Weird, AFER--you know, the people behind the Prop 8 case and presumably pretty familiar with it--have issued a statement applauding the Obama administration's brief. Somehow they don't see it as Obama missing the boat or throwing useless bones to gay people, but hey, what would they and the plaintiffs know?

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 1, 2013 8:24:24 PM

19. "I've no stomach for it here among purported progressives."

Fair enough. If that is all you have to offer then pretty much you have wasted your time. This sentence pretty much sums up your whole argument in a nutshell, just like this brief, basically useless.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 11:10:30 PM

20. "I can't read all of these rants...life is too short. I just come to the conclusion that mental...'

Truly fascinating. You have no time in this "short life" but you do have enough time to make psychological evaluations.

I think that you are just upset that I'm not worshiping a politician. It's okay you'll get over it.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 11:15:11 PM

21. "But Jose, it's you and your alter ego James that chose to put this in a historical context by comparing Barack Obama to George Wallace."

Oy vey...

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 11:16:34 PM

22. @ERNIE,

"Weird, AFER--you know, the people behind the Prop 8 case and presumably pretty familiar with it"

Well, you presumed wrong my friend.

AFER are NOT directly involved with the case, and they are NOT the plaintiffs. They are a non profit that is raising money for the case and the plaintiffs and other projects. I support them every six months or so.

Yes, I've received their email about the brief and how much they appreciated, which is fine and that is, of course expected. Like any other gay org they have issued a standard statement of appreciation. AFER's statement, though as much you want it to be, does not go into detail, nor do I expect it to, with regards to the new legal theories that the White House is proposing.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Mar 1, 2013 11:24:00 PM

23. Once again, Mr Obama shows us that he is indeed the best friend that LGBT people have ever had in the White House. I am proud that I was able to vote for him in both his election victories.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 2, 2013 2:09:52 AM

24. GREAT DISCUSSION, although it doesn't need to be so nasty.

would it be better for Obama to file a brief in the doma case? Please respond:

qequality4 at aol

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 2, 2013 6:10:31 AM

25. Obama has already filed a brief in the DOMA case which I, personally, think is a more important case.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 2, 2013 10:33:52 AM