A$AP Rocky | Gay Rights | News

Rapper A$AP Rocky Speaks Out for Gay Equality

Rapper A$AP Rocky sits down with Interview magazine and touches on his support for gay equality:

RockyFor me, growing up in Harlem and then migrating down to SoHo and the Lower East Side and chillin' down there and making that my stomping ground . . . That was a big thing, because I'm from Harlem, and downtown is more artsy and also more open-minded. So I got the best of both worlds. It was like being on the streets and then being in school at the same time, and I tried to keep my hands in everything just so I wasn't missing out on any fun. I just always wanted to be knowledgeable of my whereabouts, my surroundings, and what was going on with our generation.

So now that I'm here and I've got a microphone in my hand and about 6,000 people watching me, I need to tell them how I feel. For instance, one big issue in hip-hop is the gay thing. It's 2013, and it's a shame that, to this day, that topic still gets people all excited. It's crazy. And it makes me upset that this topic even matters when it comes to hip-hop, because it makes it seem like everybody in hip-hop is small-minded or stupid—and that's not the case. We've got people like Jay-Z. We've got people like Kanye. We've got people like me. We're all prime examples of people who don't think like that. I treat everybody equal, and so I want to be sure that my listeners and my followers do the same if they're gonna represent me. And if I'm gonna represent them, then I also want to do it in a good way.

The rapper was interviewed by Mr. Porter in February. He told them:

"People say I'm gay sometimes, but I have a lot of bitches so why would I care? It doesn't bother me at all. You know why they say that? Because they can't say that I suck, they can't say that I'm not handsome, and they can't say that my lyrics are wack, so they say that I'm gay because they don't have anything on me."

Comments

1. You know, Harlem has had a gay community as long as Harlem has existed... I hate when people try to frame Harlem as anything badass. It's a total wasteland of 30-45 blocks, very little community or nightlife. There are lots of house parties to make up for that and a lot of gay ones. Next magazine has a dispenser at Pathmark for gods sake.

Posted by: Fenrox | Mar 25, 2013 1:55:53 PM

2. and now we need more male country singers to similarly get on board.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 25, 2013 1:59:54 PM

3. He's awesome!!!

Posted by: Mel Smith | Mar 25, 2013 2:01:37 PM

4. Good for him! I'd much rather have him on our side than those two talentless, egomaniac morons he mentioned.

Posted by: Chris K | Mar 25, 2013 2:01:38 PM

5. It's a really, really big deal to see guys like ASAP Rocky, Macklemore, Jay Z or Kayne West speak out for the community. The whole urban music industry definitely still has it's issues but Frank Ocean coming out and getting the love he has, has definitely made things better. The more people speak out the more things will improve. We're breaking down barriers in all cultures and it's awesome to see.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 25, 2013 2:14:00 PM

6. We're celebrating an endorsement from somebody who calls the women he dates b*tches as a matter of routine? FORGET ABOUT IT. This is what's wrong with the current crop of Gay "activists": They are too desperate for Straight approval. Sometimes I think if the Devil himself came out for marriage equality, we'd jump for joy.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 25, 2013 2:22:16 PM

7. Wait a minute, Stuffed Animal. What did our generation call women? I'll give you a hint. They live in rivers, lakes, seas, oceans, etc.

Posted by: Derrrick from Philly | Mar 25, 2013 2:25:56 PM

8. People seem to forget that he did an episode of Kathy as in Kathy Griffin's Bravo show. Pretty sure Kathy would not allow an anti-gay person on her show.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 25, 2013 2:51:19 PM

9. Now that I have listened to his music I care a bit more, pretty good!

Posted by: Fenrox | Mar 25, 2013 4:13:28 PM

10. cool

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 25, 2013 4:30:34 PM

11. Anyone who calls women "bitches" is trash regardless of their attitude to gay rights. Shame on Towleroad for virtually glorifying this A$AP goose. Desperate for straight approval, are we?

Posted by: rise | Mar 25, 2013 5:03:31 PM

12. We are deeply troubled by your use of the discredited term "gay" in your headlines and writing at Towleroad. You are hereby notified that any further use of the oppressive and discriminatory hate speech known as describing oneself or others as "gay or lesbian" will be reported to your Trans masters.

Posted by: niles | Mar 25, 2013 6:24:20 PM

13. @ Niles

F*** that "LGBT" S***

Posted by: Audi-owner | Mar 25, 2013 7:13:09 PM

14. if you wanna see some of the biggest wimps in our community, look no further than anti-LGBT gay men.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 25, 2013 7:16:41 PM

15. @ Little Kiwi:

You are just as extreme and holier-than-thou as Rick. Which in theory,doesn't make you right or better than he is. Just so you know!

By the way,I stopped taking your comments seriously a long time ago. I just laugh at yours just as I do at Rick's!

Posted by: Audi-owner | Mar 25, 2013 10:35:38 PM

16. Except unlike both of you my balls have dropped and I don't need anonymity when making my comments. :D

I'd laugh at guys like you, but that'd be mean. Why laugh at a boy who'll never be man?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 25, 2013 10:47:33 PM

17. awesome!

Posted by: Reality | Mar 25, 2013 11:41:24 PM

18. Little Kiwi has shown his contempt for humanity in general and has mocked gay servicemen and women in particular calling them the most foul names imaginable. This little troll who has polluted this site will eventually dissipate like the disgusting fart that he is.

Posted by: niles | Mar 25, 2013 11:42:12 PM

19. Andy needs to exterminate these trolls once and for all.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 25, 2013 11:52:42 PM

20. ...and yet he refers to women as 'bitches'. Somewhat of a contradiction in his attitude.

Posted by: mick | Mar 26, 2013 2:51:51 PM

21. He sounded so mature up until the "bitches" part that I thought for a second that he might have been making some kind of ironic point.

Posted by: Kakapo | Mar 26, 2013 3:10:45 PM