Military | News | Russ Marine

BigGayDeal.com

Let's Watch Two Gay Marines Talk About Falling in Love and Go on a Nut-Gobbling Adventure: VIDEO

Russmarine

Meet Russ, my favorite gay Marine, and Matt, his favorite gay Marine. Russ is a vlogger who expounds on a variety of topics, but in recent days we've been introduced to Matt, who he met in a Starbucks. In their latest video, they talk about how they met, and answer some questions, and go on a nut-gobbling adventure.

Anyway, let's just all celebrate the fact that Marines can do this kind of thing these days, in public, on YouTube, and suffer no consequences. If you're having a bad day, these two will surely brighten it.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I seriously can't believe these guys find the other marines on their base to be "so supportive" of their relationship.

Posted by: Mike C. | Mar 7, 2013 2:29:57 PM

2. I thought they were related. Guess like attracts like. I'd still watch the sex tape though.

Posted by: Brandon h | Mar 7, 2013 2:37:36 PM

3. RICK--The obsession with beauty is not a gay thing. It's a biological and cultural thing. Babies will respond more favorably to a beautiful person--someone with a symmetrical face, certain proportions between features, etc. And as we pass puberty, we're drawn to physical beauty because it implies someone is healthy. Consciously we know this isn't always true, and gay men may not be breeding, but we're still wired to seek out healthy, virile mates. Studies have shown this, repeatedly. And our culture reinforces it through art and media.

Personally, I don't think these guys are especially adorable or hot relative to other guys. I went to high school with guys that looked like this. I think the positive response is a wistfulness, to use your word, for the simple joy of puppy love and youth. That first love is one of the best feelings in life, even if it doesn't last. Celebrating these guys isn't gay--it's just human. And I think that gay guys, like most people, regularly recognize the "adorableness" of people who aren't young or don't look like models. Those two old guys in Washington with the ZZ Top beards? Adorable. Those two elderly women getting married in NY, one in a wheelchair? Adorable. There's a couple of dads in California, the Lefews. They're not model-pretty, but they're beautiful people with a beautiful family. And we celebrate them too.

I could go on, but you probably get the idea. Go only to clubs or spend time only looking at 95% of the internet or other media, and you might think gay guys are pretty superficial. And that's true of any part of the population. But if you cast a wider view, we're really just typically human.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 7, 2013 2:40:49 PM

4. As I watched all 14+ minutes of this video, all I could think about is how these guys are just coming into the whole "gay lifestyle" and probably from small midwestern towns. Sure, they are "cute" but they are both in their 20s. Not that I am bashing them, I am happy for them. I just wish that gays wouldn't swoon over everything "white, young & innocent." I like to see how comments people of color vs. white people get on Towleroad. Yes, oddly enough "white, cute guys" get a lot more comments posted. Btw, I am not of color, nor a seeker, just an average joe. The thing that actually creeped me out, is the sharing of all their clothes. Reminded me of my sister and all her friends. If my boyfriend ever wore any of my clothes (underwear especially), I would be like...Dude?!!!

Posted by: Bewilderbeast | Mar 7, 2013 3:07:21 PM

5. They are cute and young but they look like twin brothers..scary and a bit gross.

Posted by: John | Mar 7, 2013 3:14:29 PM

6. Really? Obviously you've never enjoyed a three-way with twins.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 7, 2013 3:18:56 PM

7. Isn't there still a rule against fraternization? Or are they in completely separate units??

They remind me of those "World's Most Interesting Man" commercials: "Puppies call them adorable."

Posted by: anon | Mar 7, 2013 3:21:44 PM

8. Out gay marines vlogging on YouTube. The world has changed for the better.

Posted by: bareback rider | Mar 7, 2013 3:43:44 PM

9. @Anon,

They mention in the video that they are in completely different units. Russ is "just" a grunt while it was alluded to that Matt is in "intelligence" as Russ said that he was the "brawn" while Matt was the "brains".

I have been watching Russ' vlog postings for awhile and am very proud of him and our nation for finally allowing gays and lesbians to openly serve in our military.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Mar 7, 2013 3:56:56 PM

10. Sweetness overdose, how cute, I wish them the best. Don't know if they are gonna last but that's OK, as long as they take due care they are young and have the right to have experiences and relations and so forth.
    The best of it all is the normalization of gay relationships, the spontaneity, the guiltless posture, that is what is needed and more.

Posted by: Saythetruth | Mar 7, 2013 4:45:04 PM

11. Let's see ... yes, they are white ... they are cute (though that's always a subjective matter, of course) ... they are young ... and they are gay. Personality-wise and physically, on the other hand, they seem quite their own individuals to me.

I thought the whole point of liberation was not to apologize for who you are? A point long lost to some of the posters here, coming from their various perspectives. From my point of view, nothing but encouragement to these guys.

Posted by: Lance | Mar 7, 2013 5:05:48 PM

12. They're actually engaged. So it might last a bit longer than you think.

Posted by: some1 | Mar 7, 2013 5:25:37 PM

13. the first time i have ever found myself in partial sympathy with @rick. ever! i too came of age in the seventies, and realizing that he is of my generation gives me an insight into why he is such an ass, over and above his loving the attention it gets him. i had a chance to hang out with young marines when i was at the advanced age of 50. nothing creepy, i was the aa sponsor of several of them and they dragged me along on many excursions (not titty bars, and not to the base workout rooms)and yes, they were like a passel of puppies, killer puppies, but puppies. a couple were deeply closeted, and i felt for them. this is better.

i also take some small satisfaction that it is my generation that made this day possible, and am a little sad i never got the chance. at this point i only want to live long enough to have all the rights every natural citizen of these united states is supposed to have.

in my generation we were taught to fear and loathe effeminacy. some of us overcame it, some of us did not, and got lost in a maze of tom of finland funny house mirrors. but we all did the best we could do with the scars that we each carried.

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 7, 2013 5:32:46 PM

14. Yes they are cute young men and what exactly is the problem with that?!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 7, 2013 5:42:07 PM

15. Watching you two boys reminds me of when and where and why I fell in love with an American..... so happy and optimistic and the whole wotld before you.

May you both have a wonderful future.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 7, 2013 5:57:29 PM

16. I don't know if they like being called cute, but they couldn't possibly be any cuter. Its hard to believe that they are trained warriors. Russ get Matt to stop smoking. Have a great time together guys, Young love is so beautiful.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 7, 2013 6:01:42 PM

17. His friends on the Marine base DO seem to be supportive. Russ interviews them in this linked vid. By the way, it's great that gay servicemen are simply recording conversations in Afghanistan and elsewhere & posting to youtube. This does as much for our cause as old-fashioned activism:

Posted by: will | Mar 7, 2013 7:43:01 PM

18. Rick, I really enjoyed your post but I also wanted to respond to you and others.

Why should we care that we idealize them a little because they're so good looking? It is human nature, and I think the problem comes when you think you cannot be happy unless you look that good or you are with someone that good looking.

In my personal life, I have found that when the bonds of affection reach a certain point, no matter what you thought of their looks before, they become beautiful in a way that trumps the natural genuine kind.

So, let our symbols be beautiful couples whose sense of affection seems shallow (it always starts out that way). Maybe theirs will deepen and penetrate the barriers natural to all budding relationships, or maybe it will end in acrimonious divorce.

Our community needs people like these to be visible. This is a very good thing. And, our community needs to convert adversaries to believers, and people like this couple help do it.

W

Posted by: wunderbar | Mar 7, 2013 8:08:25 PM

19. I CAN'T HANDLE THE CUTENESS!

Posted by: Justin | Mar 7, 2013 8:13:58 PM

20. My version of hell is to be in a room with Rick and Kiwi. Forever. The 2 of you deserve each other. I wish you could set up a private chat so that the rest of us don't have to listen to you.

On a more positive note, how great to see 2 happy, healthy, patriotic gay men. And yes, that is gay MEN. Not "queers". Not LGBTQIAAP or any other such nonsense.

Posted by: Danny | Mar 7, 2013 10:00:36 PM

21. this is great! yet not applicable in the Philippines, since a lot are still in their closets!

Posted by: Spike | Mar 7, 2013 10:41:42 PM

22. I watched a few of the other videos Russ has on Youtube. He has a sweet innocence and vulnerability about him. Not everything has been positive for him since coming out. His father did not invite him to his wedding (second marriage) because of, as Russ says: "the gay thing". When you watch that video, although he makes light of it, you can see that it hurts. I wish those bright eyed and bushy tailed Jarheads all the best.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 8, 2013 1:19:22 AM

23. All that ice cream and cigarettes...soon they are going to be out of shape Marines.

Posted by: oliver | Mar 8, 2013 3:52:51 AM

24. Maybe I should enlist to meet a hot man!

Posted by: Seaguy | Mar 8, 2013 4:26:06 AM

25. Rick, why don't you put yourself out of your--and our--misery?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Mar 8, 2013 5:30:43 AM