Michelle Shocked | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Michelle Shocked Backpedals on Anti-Gay Remarks in Statement, Says She Was 'Misinterpreted': READ IT

Singer Michelle Shocked has issued a lengthy apology (in two parts), backpedaling on her anti-gay remarks at a Sunday night concert, which caused 10 of 11 venues on her current tour to cancel her show.

2_shockedSaid Shocked on Sunday:

"When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back...You can go on Twitter and say, 'Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.'"

UPDATE: AUDIO has emerged of her remarks.

Here's her explanation, in two parts (via brooklyn vegan):

I do not, nor have I ever, said or believed that God hates homosexuals (or anyone else). I said that some of His followers believe that. I believe intolerance comes from fear, and these folks are genuinely scared. When I said "Twitter that Michelle Shocked says "God hates faggots," I was predicting the absurd way my description of, my apology for, the intolerant would no doubt be misinterpreted. The show was all music, and the audience tweets said they enjoyed it. The commentary came about ten minutes later, in the encore.

And to those fans who are disappointed by what they've heard or think I said, I'm very sorry: I don't always express myself as clearly as I should. But don't believe everything you read on facebook or twitter. My view of homosexualty has changed not one iota. I judge not. And my statement equating repeal of Prop 8 with the coming of the End Times was neither literal nor ironic: it was a description of how some folks - not me - feel about gay marriage.

The show, and the rant, was spontaneous. As for those applauding my so-called stance that "God Hates Faggots," I say they should be met with mercy, not hate. And I hope that what remains of my audience will meet that intolerance with understanding, even of those who might hate them.

Folks wonder about my sexuality, but denying being gay is like saying I never beat my husband. My sexuality is not at issue. What is being questioned is my support for the LGBT community, and that has never wavered. Music and activism have always been part of my work and my journey, which I hope and intend to continue. I'd like to say this was a publicity stunt, but I'm really not that clever, and I'm definitely not that cynical.

But I am damn sorry. If I could repeat the evening, I would make a clearer distinction between a set of beliefs I abhor, and my human sympathy for the folks who hold them. I say this not because I want to look better. I have no wish to hide my faults, and - clearly - I couldn't if I tried.

With love,
Michelle

Read Part Two, AFTER THE JUMP...

PART TWO:

I believe in a God who loves everyone, and my faith tells me to do my best to also love everyone. Everyone: gay or straight, stridently gay, self-righteously faithful; left or right, far left, far right; good, bad, or indifferent. That's the law: everyone.

I may disagree with someone's most fervently held belief, but I will not hate them. And in this controversy, that means speaking for Christians with opinions I in no way share about homosexuality. Will I endorse them? Never. Will I disavow them? Never.

I stand accused of forsaking the LGBT community for a Christianity which is - hear me now - anathema to my understanding of faith. I will no doubt take future flack for saying so. I'm accused of believing that "God hates fags" and that the repeal of Prop 8 will usher in the End Times. Well, if I caused such an absurdity, I am damn sorry. To be clear: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any so-called faith preaching intolerance of anyone. Again, anyone: straight or gay, believers or not: that's the law.

That means upholding my punk rock values in the most evangelical enclaves and, in this case, speaking up for the most fearful of fundamentalists in, well, a San Francisco music hall full of Michelle Shocked fans. As an artist in this time of unbearable culture wars, I understand: this means trouble, and this is neither the first nor last time trouble has come my way. And that's fine by me.

I know the fear many in the evangelical community feel about homosexual marriage, as I understand the fear many in the gay community feel toward the self-appointed faithful. I have and will continue speaking to both. Everything else - facebook, twitter, whatever - is commentary.

Please offer your translations below.

Comments

1. Like so many others, I don't buy her bullsh*t. After listening to the audio, I can't believe what she says now. If she was trying to be funny it didn't work and she should stick to singing. The fact of the matter is, after all those venues cancelled on her she realized, Oh no, my career just went up in smoke! What makes me the most angry in the audio is the audience members that seemed to still want to stay and listen to her. One man towards the end says "Love you Michelle". Disgusting.

Posted by: Charles Walker | Mar 20, 2013 7:09:02 PM

2. She's been misinterpreted about as much as Tracy Morgan was misinterpreted when he said he would kill his child if he were gay. Probably GLAAD will reach out to her and rehabilitate her and her shattered career.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 20, 2013 7:09:56 PM

3. She is a HOT. MESS.

Posted by: Melissa | Mar 20, 2013 7:13:17 PM

4. A lie wrapped in an apology is the devil sweet-talking. Either she needs to take her meds or do a closer inspection of her prayer group to make sure it's not a Westboro Baptist Statanic Group.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 20, 2013 7:30:08 PM

5. She sounds incredibly messed up and confused. If she truly wants to sit on the fence in a "culture war" against gays, racial minorities (immigrants) and womens rights, she is as clearly thought confused as her ramblings. You can't have it both ways, pick a side. Take some time off, some meds, therapy etc. And in 2-3 years, drop some songs. This will either be your "redemption" tour OR your first alt/punk/christian ep and you can tour Liberty U and other like-minded brain-washing schools and appear on Rocking w/ The Robertsons on some fundy cable channel.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 20, 2013 7:33:36 PM

6. @Jay

Considering GLAAD's record lately, Michelle Shocked will probably be guest speaker at their next soiree.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Mar 20, 2013 7:39:40 PM

7. Who cares. Like anyone has mentioned the name Michelle Shocked in 20 years. She just won herself a world of attention for doing a hateful thing, and now she's lying about it. It's hardly news.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 20, 2013 7:40:30 PM

8. Too late. Career over. Bye bye.

Posted by: Icebloo | Mar 20, 2013 7:45:25 PM

9. What a sad mess. I'm sorry for her consummate skill in firing a big hole in foot. With enough of her kind of faith she'll manage. Didn't really hurt us a bit anyway.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 20, 2013 7:50:36 PM

10. That apology was literally a stream of consciousness. Words without any particular order and not really much sense.

Posted by: Cburg | Mar 20, 2013 7:59:43 PM

11. If I were making a statement I believed to be in support of gays (at a show in GD San Francisco, no less) and people started leaving, I would be very confused, and immediately clarify, believing somehow I was being misunderstood. I think anyone who was honestly doing exactly that would. Who is she trying to kid?

Posted by: antisaint | Mar 20, 2013 8:09:46 PM

12. Having just listened to her hate-filled rant, I clearly believe she is not confused and this "apology" is a lie. She is trying to obviously save her career. Bub-bye and good riddance.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 20, 2013 8:14:52 PM

13. Audio doesn't lie.

This woman has some serious issues and it is clear to me that her intent on that rant was indeed hateful and homophobic. Notice how she used the word homosexuals and not gays. Fundamentalist haters always sexualize the GLBT community because they know our puritanical religious-culture fears anything to do with sex. She also said it is her fear:
    "...and I really shouldn’t say ‘their,’ because it’s mine, too — we are nearly at the end of time...once Prop 8 gets, uh, instated, and once, um, preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I’m pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back...You said you wanted reality."

The rant in Spanish was John 3:16, for God so loved the world...

Posted by: truthteller | Mar 20, 2013 8:18:49 PM

14. "Misinterpreted". Love it. If only she had used that other chestnut, "taken out of context".

My guess is that her next move is to hook up with the "conversion" gang and launch a new career in Christian music.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Mar 20, 2013 8:45:53 PM

15. She's yesterday's news. Lets hope she stays on the back page lining the bird cage. Btch.

Posted by: grego | Mar 20, 2013 8:51:05 PM

16. If she truly felt she was being misinterpreted, or was truly sorry that she had offended, why did she not say so right then, when it was made painfully obvious that she was offending the same people she now claims to "love". Religion twists the mind just as the closet does. When the two combine it is a train wreck. I pity the poor lost woman.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 20, 2013 8:55:53 PM

17. She's like all the rest: Say hateful things, take a hateful stand....then deny having said it after there's a backlash.

Posted by: Geoff M | Mar 20, 2013 9:07:25 PM

18. "My Vantage point too", is hard to apologize for... she's an amazing songwriter, I WAS a fan for @ 25 years...

Posted by: John Normile | Mar 20, 2013 9:14:45 PM

19. She sounds like someone with some pretty profound identity disturbance.

Posted by: KML | Mar 20, 2013 9:28:07 PM

20. "I don't always express myself as clearly as I should."
    Judging from the incoherence of pretty much everything she said, I'm inclined to believe that she really does have trouble expressing herself in words. One does not simply waltz into San Francisco, of all places, and start spouting "God Hates Fags." I'm inclined to believe her apology and that she really did express herself poorly.

Posted by: Steven B | Mar 20, 2013 9:34:28 PM

21. Has she left her church? No. She's a fraud and a bigot. Ironic that her sexuality has always been off the table.

Another thing...the pure irony of a "protest" singer getting all annoyed when people protest her. Kind of love that (her Tweets are bonkers and make Chuck Grassley seem like a poet)

Posted by: Shawn | Mar 20, 2013 9:42:35 PM

22. Ah. I see. She's a crazy, stupid, and incompetent has-been, not a crazy, stupid, and hateful has-been.

I'm so relieved. As always, thanks for keeping me up to date on the truly crucial news.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 20, 2013 9:47:39 PM

23. Come on people, she was just having a bad day, what with her arse having swallowed her head.

Posted by: StevyD | Mar 20, 2013 10:02:10 PM

24. Stick it up Your a$$ BIGOT. Hopefully your career is on the downward slide.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 20, 2013 10:29:39 PM

25. I read about this here in Britain as it's been travelling around Facebook and Twitter a lot over the past two days.
    I have to say how really saddened I am, and how many people are in the UK, by Michelle's behaviour and opinions, both during the gig and afterwards on Twitter and in her statement.

Does she really believe that a God would hate people? Or is it only a God who backs up the world view of scared, narrow-minded people?
    Does she really think that it's okay to condone views of people that, whether out of fear or not, want to hurt, oppress or limit the happiness of others that hurts nobody?

Seems that's a God who doesn't love humanity in all its diversity.

To me, her view on stage is not the truth that any God wants - it's a prejudiced lie she has been brainwashed into believing is truth.

Posted by: Ensor UK | Mar 20, 2013 10:30:39 PM