Gay Slurs | New York | News

Gay Man Gets Called a 'Faggot' Outside His Home, Pursues the Perpetrator, Then Gets Assaulted: VIDEO

Assault Assault2

Yesterday, a sidewalk bigot did not get away with calling a gay man a "faggot".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bigot3Michael Hartney writes:

This afternoon, my partner Turtle walked out of our apartment to grab a bite. Before he even left our block, a man called him “faggot” as he passed. Rather than let the guy get away with it, Turtle decided to confront this man about his hateful behavior. And he filmed it.

Notice how well Turtle handles himself in this video. No need to fight hate with hate; calling him “slick hair” is as hateful as Turtle gets (which is hilarious and awesome). He lets that ignorant clown have it with poise and decency. Not surprising, considering Turtle is the absolute best guy around and I couldn’t be prouder of him.

Our neighbors saw this altercation, and told Turtle that this man has been harassing their thirteen year-old son for years, sometimes even calling him “faggot” while the kid was in recess at school with his peers.  They know who he is and where he lives.  They’ve been too scared for the kid’s safety to do anything about it.  But it’s going to end today.

Turtle is going to be filing a complaint today, according to Hartney:

I don’t know what’s going to happen yet, but hopefully this jerk will learn that we’re not going to put up with this crap in our neighborhood anymore. On the bright side, this charmer is already in talks with DC Comics to illustrate Orson Scott Card’s Superman story. It’ll be the first comic book drawn completely in douchey hair gel.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: The original video was taken down by YouTube. This is a duplicate, posted at another account.

Comments

1. Wouldn't necessarily call that an "assault" but the guy is the creepy poster child for Repulsive Self-loathing Closet Case.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 11, 2013 8:10:58 AM

2. OOHhhhh boy, be spreadin' his face all over the interwebz.

werk.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 11, 2013 8:19:45 AM

3. Totally looks like a closet case to me.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Mar 11, 2013 8:25:51 AM

4. and props to Turtle. I confronted a guy who called me and my friends faggot a couple of years ago, although I didn't have the foresight to film it, and I basically just screamed at him until he apologised. It's a risky strategy and I'd say - if you do confront, make sure there are plenty of witnesses around. There are worse things than pushing and being keyed.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Mar 11, 2013 8:27:35 AM

5. I think that bigot was projecting 'cause my gaydar tingled when I saw the gay in black walking away then it went haywire when he started talking to the dude filming. I wouldn't of followed him for so long...would of just told him to go f*uck himself while filming him - he's a coward!

Posted by: smartphone | Mar 11, 2013 8:29:53 AM

6. It is refreshing to see people take a stand. However,in my neighborhood, I believe I would have been charged for taking a stand. It does give sturdy footing when you have confidence that your local Police or government will actually listen. Many LGBT folks continuously turn their cheek so often their heads are spinning.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 11, 2013 8:48:02 AM

7. his face and that spike in his voice right before he gets physical with the camera guy is PRICELESS.

bullies dish but cannot take. ohhhh he's gonna have a fun few days. this is already making the rounds.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 11, 2013 8:53:39 AM

8. So how is this any different from the women taking a picture of the two guys on the subway?

Looks like two douches douchin' it out. Hartney is totally lucky that he didn't get his lights punched out, and it totally would NOT have been worth it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 11, 2013 8:58:44 AM

9. Yeah, I think he's a pathetic closet case too. It's really sick!

Posted by: Peter | Mar 11, 2013 9:23:34 AM

10. I like how the biggot keeps saying "go away" and "it happens all the time" as if that would make it all OK...

Posted by: MikeKV | Mar 11, 2013 9:31:08 AM

11. Aww, enough of this gay-on-gay crime!

Posted by: brian | Mar 11, 2013 9:31:21 AM

12. "it happens all the time" is the funniest part. as Turtle points out, yeah, it happens all the time, perpetrated by cowards like that fella.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 11, 2013 9:37:47 AM

13. Was that Williamsburg in Brooklyn?

Posted by: RWG | Mar 11, 2013 9:43:23 AM

14. Guy looks like a big ol' nelly swish himself :P

Posted by: LITTLE KIWI | Mar 11, 2013 9:53:43 AM

15. @RWG - totally looks like it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 11, 2013 9:56:37 AM

16. First the walk, then the talk, but what clinched it for me -- that the guy is a closet case -- is his saying "It happens all the time." I immediately thought it happens all the time to him.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 11, 2013 9:58:33 AM

17. I'm all for freedom of speech, but I just do nooot like that word. It makes my blood boil when straight guys use it in an insulting way, which they do around me quite a bit since they assume I'm straight. Haha, it has resulted in quite a few lectures...I just tell them 'yeah, well, I'm telling you so you'll remember : never use that word again. I'm serious. It's offensive and we don't like it. Thanks'.

I't's great this guy did that. Some might think it's dramatic - but this way, that guy will remember his mistake. He shouldn't be able to get away with it, or thinking it's just totally normal and can continue walking around making gays feel like crap. This will leave an impression on him and maybe he'll hesitate next time before using that ugly word again.

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Mar 11, 2013 10:13:34 AM

18. Exactly what kind of complaint can be filed? Somebody said something mean to you [or to me], this is not a criminal offense in NY or the U.S. If anything, the man videoing could be accused of stalking. And if it was in my state, for example, it's illegal to video with audio unless both parties agree to it, and if 'slick hair' didn't and said so, the guy videoing would be the one who gets arrested. I'm not sure how the law is in NY state, it could be the same.

I'm not condemning or mocking anyone from confronting someone who verbally or physically assaulted them, just saying. I would have probably physically assaulted the guy and dealt with the consequences.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 11, 2013 10:19:47 AM

19. Slick Hair couldn't be any gayer if he tried.

Posted by: Laurie | Mar 11, 2013 10:28:47 AM

20. And Ratbastard takes the side of the homophobe.

Just another exciting day on Towleroad.

Posted by: ripper | Mar 11, 2013 10:30:34 AM

21. @ratbastard. I would hope there was something that could be done legally to deter the prick from harassing the 13 year old. Who knows what filing a complaint means but at least it'll put the guy on the radar as someone who could be dangerous if something escalates.

Posted by: Jersey | Mar 11, 2013 10:31:18 AM

22. OMG! I initially thought we were watching the man who would be called a faggot. I was waiting for the macho aggressor to show up onscreen.

You. Are. Kidding. Me.

He's gonna have to put an effort into that walk if he wants to be considered straight. What the...

Posted by: ronette | Mar 11, 2013 10:31:23 AM

23. Grow up, Ripper. I didn't 'take the side' of the mean, old 'homophobe', who appears to be gay himself.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 11, 2013 10:36:24 AM

24. Oh my God, I had to laugh. These haters are so sad! My fiance says he looks like a definite closet-case. What a sad bunch these homophobes are. I have to say however, that I personally wouldn't waste my time pursuing some idiot down the street. Life is too short for such a waste of time.

Posted by: lucas | Mar 11, 2013 10:47:25 AM

25. shame the bigots. more of this, plz.

they're a lot like the Anonymous Internet Trolls. they sure are boastful and confident. except for when their face gets put to their words. then they freak out and run away. every time.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 11, 2013 10:49:38 AM