Gay Teen Stoned to Death in Somalia as Village Watched: Report

A gay man was allegedly stoned to death for being gay in Somalia, Identity Kenya reports:

Map_somaliaAccording to Somali Gay Community, the young man, Mohamed Ali Baashi ,18, was buried in a hole up to his chest and then pelted with rocks by members of the Al Qaeda link group Al Shabaab on Friday, March 15, in Barawe, about 50 miles from the capital, Mogadishu.

The group, through its Facebook page, Somali Gay Community, posted three photos of alleging they were from the stoning.

However, Identity Kenya could not independently verify this claims or the alleged stoning and efforts to reach the group have not been successful.

The group said the young man was accused of sodomy and was stoned to death by Islamic rebels while horrified villagers were forced to watch.

According to the reports, a judge announced that Mohamed Baashi, along with a man who had been accused of murder, had both confessed to their crimes. The alleged murderer got a more merciful punishment. He was shot to death, the group said over the weekend.

One of the photos posted by the Somalian group is inset above. The other two are graphic.

UPDATE: At least one of the photos appears to be from this incident in 2009.

Comments

1. George F says

Very disturbing what’s going on in Somalia and other countries where fundamentalists are taking over.
    This kind of bogoted violence does not belong in the 21st century yet it happens too often.

2. 99% says

How sad and how sickening. I can only hope that some day, the pig-brained morons who promoted this and the locals who tossed the rocks will meet the same fate.

I recall the Bible also says “an eye for an eye”, too.

3. says

Religion, fundamentalism, evangelism, one-book-creeds, …….they all have the same sub-text….they’re scared out of their wits of human sexuality….scared of their own instincts, terrified of having feelings for someone of the same sex !!!
    And the Bachmans and the Frothy Santorums, and the Focus on the Family ( our brand only) types are all standing there with the same rocks in their hands.

And the only reason we gays are not being burned in our hundreds like the Albigensians and Cathars, is that the culture has changed, not the putrid hearts of these sick bigots, the Catholics, the Evangelical Protestantrs/ Baptists, the Islamics…..Bachmans, Frothy’s, …
    The killing is now stoning and it has moved south….from the Languedoc to Somalia…
    The poison of the One-Book-Creeds, Bible, Koran, Mormon are all part of the human putrid cowardice……in my opinion !

4. johnny says

Horrifying. Tragic. Mindless. Ignorant.

And the worst part is how often these men who are hiding behind their masks and guns will take a young boy and forced them to have sex. It happens all the time, all over the middle east and all over Africa. And most of them are usually Muslim. (This is not hearsay, it’s well-known and all over the internet.)

Anywhere there is heavy-duty repression, you get these zealot men who are, in effect, trying to kill the gay part of themselves by killing someone else who is gay.

I guess this will never end. Sad.

5. Jon says

I am always curious in reading these sorts of stories what types of comments will then be written afterwards. And without fail, the level of hatred and vehemence echoing from the keyboards of many of you who have posted makes it VERY easy for me to imagine you standing there holding rocks and stoning to death those YOU have a problem with. And the sad thing is, I believe you know it and have already justified it in your minds. Which makes you no better than those who stoned this poor man in Somalia. You make me fearful of any one of you getting into power and then getting on your bad side. Too many of your comments make me just as afraid to live in your country as to live in Somalia. Justified-in-your-minds hatred and revenge. Very sad.

6. says

@ JON :

I can only speak for myself. Nothing in my post suggests or implies the same instincts written in your post.

On the contrary, I sought to state that “the fault lies not in the stars but in ourselves” and in the rottenness of our instincts that such crimes have been and are and will be carried out.
    Unless we give up our delusional obedience to an illusional deity we will never tame our innate violent instincts.

7. David Hearne says

Jon – You sound like Phyllis Schlaffley, ‘You’re being intolerant of my (intolerance)!”

Yeah, Phyll we are.

I realize that the reality of ISlamic countries in in conflict with the warped world view of so-called Progressives. It is what it is.

Islam is not a religion of peace. Moslem countries are not places of peace where peaceful farmers till the soil in quiet acceptance of their neighbors. It is a violent and imperialistic philosophy that does not respect borders and never accepts defeat.

8. SpunkyBunks says

We need to confront all of the anti-gay groups (while they are protesting) with these pictures to let them know what their religion has done around the world. Especially those Westboro a-holes.

We need to hold them accountable.

9. Derrick from Philly says

@Jon

A very thoughtful comment, Jon.

The same people who come on this blog to condemn whole nationalities, whole races of people, whole religions are the same bigots who are capable of the behavior of the stone throwing muderers in Somalia. They’ve done it in the past.

10. says

What a juxtaposition of pics today…..
    the two boys “I’m his”/”He’s mine”,
    and the body of a young man stoned to death in Somalia for being gay.

Can a fundamentalist be so bigoted and blind and vicious as not to see the difference between love and hate ?
    Any rational human would ditch whatever teaches the hate and would embrace the love and affection of the other.

But if you are hearing the voices, or “born again”, or have a “personal relationship” with some ghost,somewhere in the “supernatural”…..you are not rational.

Yeah, good luck Michelle Shocked.

11. jamal49 says

Jon and Derrick. B.S. It’s called outrage. It’s an outrage that is the result of a decadent religion that justifies its cruelty on some alleged revelation from “god” contained in a “divinely-inspired” book. Would I throw the first stone? In self defense, hell yes I would. The days of tolerating such barbarity are long over. There is no damned reason that a young man of 18 should have been buried up to his neck and have large stones thrown at his head as “punishment” for the sole reason of his humanity. You find something to tolerate in that Islamic council’s judgment? Move to Somalia then and let us know how it all works out for you.

12. Onnyjay says

Too outrageous, too sad, when will the hatred stop? Any god worthy of the name could not possibly condone such vicious murder. We love whom we love and it is not a choice but a fact, a truth. Humans are our own worst enemies.

13. Derrick from Philly says

Jamal49:

It’s called bigotry when you use the behavior of the worst elements a group of people and blame the entire group. It was the same strategy used to send Jews to the gas chambers. It was the same strategy used to bring about the slaughter in Rwanda. And the atrocities happened because a whole nationality, race or religion could be blamed and demonized.

Did you read the following part of the article:

“while horrified villagers were forced to watch.”

Obviously, there are many people in the Islamic world who do not agree with torture and murder just because someone commits same sex activity.

“You find something to tolerate in that Islamic council’s judgment?”

What kind question is that, JAMAL49? Just because one is against bigotry toward one billion Muslims does not mean that we want to see people murdered.

As far as inviting me to leave the nation that my ancestors helped to build…well, I’m always ready for that kind of comment from Rick or that Old B.tch Hearne. Coming from you that was unexpected.

I’ll leave here when other motha’ f.ckas who have no more right to be here than I do pack up and leave.

14. walter says

no wonder the country is run by pirates. these people are animals` at heart . why do we pour money into these jerk water country where civilization is almost unheard of?

15. David Hearne says

Derrick –

“As far as inviting me to leave the nation that my ancestors helped to build…well, I’m always ready for that kind of comment from Rick or that Old B.tch Hearne.”

Derrick, while amused and flattered I am nonetheless disappointed that you apparently completely misread who and what I am. I would never tell you to leave this country. Your ancestors and mine colonized this land together. IN fact, you and I might well be related given that you are from Philadelphia and I am from Delmarva. Got any Purnells in the family?

You’re family baby. We’re stuck with each other.

16. Kyle says

@JON Being gay is infinitely less offensive than murdering gay people. And, therefore, hatred of murderers is far more justified than hatred of gay people. Your comment is as self-righteous as it is illogical.

17. David Hearne says

Albatross – I”m sure you think that’s clever. However, the comparison is not simply that someone was killed and in the case of the mayoral candidate the possibility that the murder was driven by a hatred of gay people. The young man in Somalia was executed by his government and community. The function od stoning is a ritual expulsion the the deviate from doctrine or object of superstition.

Fail

18. Bravo says

What’s sad is that the Quran itself does not promote stoning to punish or execute “sinful” people. Some muslims think they’ve found justification for it in certain verses, but from my understanding the idea is taken way out of context.

Here’s a link to compare what it says in the Quran versus what it says in Hadith: http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur%27an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:Stoning

The real problem of stoning comes from the Hadith, which is basically more akin to the Bible than the Quran is, in that it’s been updated and changed to suit their ideas, which leads to a corrupted message.

Personally, and speaking as a muslim myself, I think the Hadith needs to be burned and forgotten just as much as the bible does. Neither of them serve any good purpose. And it’s shameful that so many muslims seem to put more importance on the Hadith than the Quran itself.

Even though I often speak out of anger (such as when I call christians “lion’s food”) I honestly cannot believe that all of this cruelty, hatred, and violence is actually what God had in mind for us. And the idea that homesexuality is a sin makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe in terms of sex out of wedlock, but that should apply to everyone. And that problem is solved by allowing gay marriage.

rant over.

19. Thomas says

@Jon and Derrick from Philly:

Thanks for being sane and rational and, you know, human.

For all (most of) the others:

Do you really think that people are incapable of this type of activity in the absence of religion? Maybe it satisfies some narrative in your head, but it’s just not reality. Viewing an entire group as deserving of your hate because of some story you’ve set up in your head about who “they” are or what “they” think is the type of animal mentality that leads to riots, religious persecution, racial profiling, gang rapes, witch trials, and public stoning. It’s all part of humans not wanting to make the effort to understand the “other.”

20. Derrick from Philly says

@”You’re family baby. We’re stuck with each other.”

No, Old Hag Hearne. I am not Sally Hemmings.

@THOMAS,

thanks. I get carried away on topics such as this. I DESPISE these fantatic Muslim monsters, but I don’t like arrogant White supremacists either.

Thanks for understanding.

JAMAL49,

it took me a while to realize that a argument against Islam is not necessarily an argument against Muslim people. I’ve calmed down. I’m ok.

21. andrew says

Out of Africa. What else can you expect? From the Mediterranean to the Cape of Good Hope it is a wasteland when it comes to progress and human rights. And it ain’t all or nearly all the fault of the European Imperialists!