Crime | News | Somalia

Gay Teen Stoned to Death in Somalia as Village Watched: Report

A gay man was allegedly stoned to death for being gay in Somalia, Identity Kenya reports:

Map_somaliaAccording to Somali Gay Community, the young man, Mohamed Ali Baashi ,18, was buried in a hole up to his chest and then pelted with rocks by members of the Al Qaeda link group Al Shabaab on Friday, March 15, in Barawe, about 50 miles from the capital, Mogadishu.

The group, through its Facebook page, Somali Gay Community, posted three photos of alleging they were from the stoning.

However, Identity Kenya could not independently verify this claims or the alleged stoning and efforts to reach the group have not been successful.

The group said the young man was accused of sodomy and was stoned to death by Islamic rebels while horrified villagers were forced to watch.

According to the reports, a judge announced that Mohamed Baashi, along with a man who had been accused of murder, had both confessed to their crimes. The alleged murderer got a more merciful punishment. He was shot to death, the group said over the weekend.

One of the photos posted by the Somalian group is inset above. The other two are graphic.

UPDATE: At least one of the photos appears to be from this incident in 2009.

Comments

1. "You are a serious POS"

And you are a not-to-be taken seriously old-azz Nazi b.tch.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 20, 2013 1:16:53 PM

2. no wonder the country is run by pirates. these people are animals` at heart . why do we pour money into these jerk water country where civilization is almost unheard of?

Posted by: walter | Mar 20, 2013 1:23:08 PM

3. Derrick -

"As far as inviting me to leave the nation that my ancestors helped to build...well, I'm always ready for that kind of comment from Rick or that Old B.tch Hearne."

Derrick, while amused and flattered I am nonetheless disappointed that you apparently completely misread who and what I am. I would never tell you to leave this country. Your ancestors and mine colonized this land together. IN fact, you and I might well be related given that you are from Philadelphia and I am from Delmarva. Got any Purnells in the family?

You're family baby. We're stuck with each other.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 20, 2013 1:24:00 PM

4. Derrick, I am not a nazi. My mother had me tested.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 20, 2013 1:25:26 PM

5. @JON Being gay is infinitely less offensive than murdering gay people. And, therefore, hatred of murderers is far more justified than hatred of gay people. Your comment is as self-righteous as it is illogical.

Posted by: Kyle | Mar 20, 2013 1:25:34 PM

6. This is a tragedy. It's awful how far BEHIND the United States some of these primitive nations are.

Oh.

Posted by: Albatross | Mar 20, 2013 1:30:26 PM

7. Albatross - I"m sure you think that's clever. However, the comparison is not simply that someone was killed and in the case of the mayoral candidate the possibility that the murder was driven by a hatred of gay people. The young man in Somalia was executed by his government and community. The function od stoning is a ritual expulsion the the deviate from doctrine or object of superstition.

Fail

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 20, 2013 1:35:41 PM

8. What's sad is that the Quran itself does not promote stoning to punish or execute "sinful" people. Some muslims think they've found justification for it in certain verses, but from my understanding the idea is taken way out of context.

Here's a link to compare what it says in the Quran versus what it says in Hadith: http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur%27an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:Stoning

The real problem of stoning comes from the Hadith, which is basically more akin to the Bible than the Quran is, in that it's been updated and changed to suit their ideas, which leads to a corrupted message.

Personally, and speaking as a muslim myself, I think the Hadith needs to be burned and forgotten just as much as the bible does. Neither of them serve any good purpose. And it's shameful that so many muslims seem to put more importance on the Hadith than the Quran itself.

Even though I often speak out of anger (such as when I call christians "lion's food") I honestly cannot believe that all of this cruelty, hatred, and violence is actually what God had in mind for us. And the idea that homesexuality is a sin makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe in terms of sex out of wedlock, but that should apply to everyone. And that problem is solved by allowing gay marriage.

rant over.

Posted by: Bravo | Mar 20, 2013 3:47:55 PM

9. @Jon and Derrick from Philly:

Thanks for being sane and rational and, you know, human.

For all (most of) the others:

Do you really think that people are incapable of this type of activity in the absence of religion? Maybe it satisfies some narrative in your head, but it's just not reality. Viewing an entire group as deserving of your hate because of some story you've set up in your head about who "they" are or what "they" think is the type of animal mentality that leads to riots, religious persecution, racial profiling, gang rapes, witch trials, and public stoning. It's all part of humans not wanting to make the effort to understand the "other."

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 20, 2013 3:53:33 PM

10. Civilization at it's finest.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 20, 2013 5:34:22 PM

11. @"You're family baby. We're stuck with each other."

No, Old Hag Hearne. I am not Sally Hemmings.

@THOMAS,

thanks. I get carried away on topics such as this. I DESPISE these fantatic Muslim monsters, but I don't like arrogant White supremacists either.

Thanks for understanding.

JAMAL49,

it took me a while to realize that a argument against Islam is not necessarily an argument against Muslim people. I've calmed down. I'm ok.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 20, 2013 5:45:57 PM

12. From now on you are Sally.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 20, 2013 7:13:14 PM

13. Out of Africa. What else can you expect? From the Mediterranean to the Cape of Good Hope it is a wasteland when it comes to progress and human rights. And it ain't all or nearly all the fault of the European Imperialists!

Posted by: andrew | Mar 21, 2013 4:49:23 AM

14. @andrew: you know NOTHING about world-systems theory and neocolonialism.

READ UP, WHITE BOY!

Posted by: redball | Mar 21, 2013 4:27:23 PM

15. @Jon: The only way the eliminate parasites is to eradicate them!

Posted by: ohm | Mar 25, 2013 3:34:17 PM