News | News Clips | North Dakota

BigGayDeal.com

Rookie North Dakota News Anchor Begins First Broadcast with 'Gay' F-Bomb: VIDEO

Clemente

NBC North Dakota Anchor AJ Clemente did not have an auspicious first day on the job, beginning his broadcast with the words "gay... f**king... sh*t". On the bright side, North Dakota viewers finally got to see something interesting on the news.

Aj_clementeWatch (warning: language), AFTER THE JUMP...

Clemente has been suspended by the station:

To all of you who are writing in...I want to apologize for an incident that occurred prior to our early newscast this evening, when one of our employees used profanity on the air.

He did not realize his microphone was on, but still, that's no excuse. WE train our reporters to always assume that any microphone is live at any time. Unfortunately, that was not enough in this case. WE can't take back what was said. The person involved has been suspended until we resolve the situation. All we can do at this point is ask for your forgiveness, and I can offer my personal assurance that I will do my best to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again under my watch.

UPDATE: AJ explains himself on Twitter.

"Tough day, Thanks for the support,We all make mistakes. Im truly sorry for mine. I'll try my hardest to come back better and learn from this...I just want to say that I did not say the word gay, I was trying to pronounce the London Marathon winners name Tsegaye Kebede...I would never disrespect anybody in that matter. Once again I'm truly sorry."

UPDATE II: AJ was fired.

Twqeet_clemente

Comments

1. Another lobotomized news reader.

Posted by: Chief | Apr 22, 2013 10:21:31 AM

2. He seems berry berry berdation.

Posted by: Lars | Apr 22, 2013 10:21:37 AM

3. The guy is so nervous he can't even say his own name. He can't even say where he is from. You can imagine the show producers yelling in his ear and her ear too. He saw a long confusing name and exclaimed the f bomb...the real issue is his diction and pronunciation for a news professional. All around, he needs work

Posted by: kenneth | Apr 22, 2013 10:23:43 AM

4. He is clearly as dumb as a rock. Hard to imagine they couldn't find anyone better to be a weekend anchor... even in North Dakota.

Posted by: Adam Sank | Apr 22, 2013 10:25:29 AM

5. Poor dumb thing, God love him. I hope he doesn't lose his job over this, but if he does, hey, look at the bright side. He'll have a really funny story to share with his new co-workers over at the Fargo Piggly-Wiggly.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 22, 2013 10:26:17 AM

6. What's to be upset about here? First day job jitters gone totally bad. And few among us haven't let out a few four letter words. A suspension seems like overkill. I'd bet he learned a valuable lesson - and is pretty unlikely to do it again.

Posted by: Mitch | Apr 22, 2013 10:26:50 AM

7. Nat - In the first place, North Dakota has something like 75,000 nonwhite people (give or take depending upon whether you are using "caucasian" or some BS definition of "white people") . In the second place, I don't know why you would think that A.J. Clemente is not caucasian. Do you also consider Mel Martinez, Columba Bush, and Marco Rubio to be nonwhite? Finally, exactly why would it be a shame if these were indeed nonwhite people and the only nonwhite people in North Dakota? You talk like a fool.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 10:28:08 AM

8. Ok. This is both funny and stupid. But it is not mean. The guy is just a beginner. On his first day. One would think all of you started out fully competent, mistake-free. This station, like others around the country, is where those starting out cut their teeth. I believe him when he says he will try to learn from this, and maybe he will, assuming he ever gets the chance.

Posted by: CAnaivePete | Apr 22, 2013 10:32:22 AM

9. Seems like a nice enough guy...and the blunder with the microphone being on or off is a minor thing...I get he was just frustrated with what he had to read....however once he started talking I thought is there a gumball in his mouth....he hardly moves his lips and does not announciate clearly...did not understand him at all...so the question is...who put him in that place to begin with....that is the person at fault here..

Posted by: Lukas | Apr 22, 2013 10:34:17 AM

10. Womp womp.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Apr 22, 2013 10:34:56 AM

11. Upon reviewing....the guy just looks super, super nervous. He was paranoid that he would trip over the marathoner's name, and it was all downhill from there.

Feel bad for him.

Posted by: Lars | Apr 22, 2013 10:42:32 AM

12. And to think people have been making fun of Ryan Locthe's interview skills! All joking aside...I've worked in local TV and this stuff happens all the time. Smaller stations are understaffed and the anchor people (and production staff) are green most of the time. I'll give him a pass on this one.

Posted by: Tony | Apr 22, 2013 10:42:38 AM

13. Putting his comments aside, he is just a lousy newscaster. Clearly, this is not an occupation he is suited for. What was station management in North Dakota thinking of when they brought him in and hired him....diversity, maybe? Well, they are not very good at it.

Posted by: TantumErgo | Apr 22, 2013 10:46:26 AM

14. Note to on-air commentators: Always read your copy before going on. Even "pros" have stumbled over a name, but without the color commentary, haha.

If things don't work out in North Dakota, I'm sure there's a place for him at Fox News.

Posted by: Interested Observer | Apr 22, 2013 10:55:29 AM

15. Oh gurl. First and last day on the job.

Posted by: Sam A | Apr 22, 2013 10:55:59 AM

16. You can tell he's nervous as hell and reading over his script, trying to get the names right so he won't stumble when it's time for him to speak. What's odd is that he's looking down and practicing his script after the newscast has clearly started! Did he think the camera was ONLY going to be on her?

Poor guy. No harm, no foul really, but he really needs more practice, better direction, and some enunciation lessons.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 22, 2013 10:58:35 AM

17. *Other people, not urge. Weird auto-correct.

Posted by: Nat | Apr 22, 2013 11:09:15 AM

18. I think the "I'm used to being...ya know...from the East Coast" is the best part. His future at the Kia dealer is solid.

Posted by: RBB | Apr 22, 2013 11:15:52 AM

19. @David HAGATHA Hearne.

Soon you'll be the only White person left in Florida. And we're going to whup your flat azz.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 22, 2013 11:17:50 AM

20. I feel for the guy. First day on the anchor job, moved half-way across the country to be there. He was nervous, struggling so hard to be perfect. My heart goes out to him.

I sent an email to the general manager at the station hoping he gives AJ a break.

The only thing he did wrong was to get so focused on trying to pronounce "Tsegaye Kebede" that he was a bit oblivious to everything else going on.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Apr 22, 2013 11:29:53 AM

21. I feel bad for the poor guy - it reminds me of the scene in Broadcast News where Albert Brooks takes over the weekend anchor desk and sweats out a storm. Glad he clarified the "gay" comment and it definitely makes sense. Unfortunately trying to pronounce the runner's name tripped him up. Hopefully the station gives him a second chance. Almost all the Facebook comments are supportive of him. However, if he screws up again then give him the heave ho.

Posted by: KT | Apr 22, 2013 11:52:46 AM

22. I buy his explanation. Its his first show, of course he is rehearsing his script and an African name would send most of us into "repeat until correct" mode. Hell, even the top anchors mess up foreign names (remember the Icelandic volcano?). I just find it funny he was so clueless that the show was starting.

LMFAO

Posted by: Clyde | Apr 22, 2013 11:52:57 AM

23. Hilarious! Poor guy, I feel sorry for him.

Posted by: mikep | Apr 22, 2013 11:53:29 AM

24. Awww..he is cute. I bet the station manager has him doing some "extra chores" :)

Posted by: andrew | Apr 22, 2013 11:56:31 AM

25. I feel bad for the guy, mostly because he is "used to living on the East coast" and now he's stuck in North Dakota. Gotta be a culture shock there.

Posted by: Inis | Apr 22, 2013 11:57:09 AM