News | News Clips | North Dakota

Rookie North Dakota News Anchor Begins First Broadcast with 'Gay' F-Bomb: VIDEO

Clemente

NBC North Dakota Anchor AJ Clemente did not have an auspicious first day on the job, beginning his broadcast with the words "gay... f**king... sh*t". On the bright side, North Dakota viewers finally got to see something interesting on the news.

Aj_clementeWatch (warning: language), AFTER THE JUMP...

Clemente has been suspended by the station:

To all of you who are writing in...I want to apologize for an incident that occurred prior to our early newscast this evening, when one of our employees used profanity on the air.

He did not realize his microphone was on, but still, that's no excuse. WE train our reporters to always assume that any microphone is live at any time. Unfortunately, that was not enough in this case. WE can't take back what was said. The person involved has been suspended until we resolve the situation. All we can do at this point is ask for your forgiveness, and I can offer my personal assurance that I will do my best to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again under my watch.

UPDATE: AJ explains himself on Twitter.

"Tough day, Thanks for the support,We all make mistakes. Im truly sorry for mine. I'll try my hardest to come back better and learn from this...I just want to say that I did not say the word gay, I was trying to pronounce the London Marathon winners name Tsegaye Kebede...I would never disrespect anybody in that matter. Once again I'm truly sorry."

UPDATE II: AJ was fired.

Twqeet_clemente

Comments

1. Wow, I don't know what happened to my original reply to David but here's how it went:

I am Asian/Pac and live in a diverse urban metropolis that I love.

I have encountered experiences in the south and midwest where Asians like me (Brown) simply do not exist and I have had to endure weird stares, uncomfortable gawks, and annoying questions like "What the hell are you?" since I do not look Black or Latino.

And where you got "shame" from, I have no idea. I just feel sad that they probably have to endure that crap all the time.

For the record, I don't think Rubio is white and I do not know the ither two you mentioned.

Assuming stuff makes you an ass.

Posted by: Nat | Apr 22, 2013 12:03:55 PM

2. Where is North Dakota?

Posted by: Max | Apr 22, 2013 12:06:04 PM

3. Derrick - Good luck with that Trayvon. BTW, FLorida is 80% caucasian and gets new ones every year. Howbeit shortly I will no longer live in Florida. I am moving to California, a county which has less than 1% negroes. I know you delight in blacks having destroyed major sections of major cities, but you do know that you won't be allowed to do that forever, right? We'll put an end to welfare and you'll have to work to survive.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 12:07:40 PM

4. Max - Canada

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 12:08:56 PM

5. @NAT,

And Japan is 99% Japanese. They like it that way. The Chinese like China to be for Chinese, Koreans Korea, Jamaica for Jamaicans. There are cities in the U.S. that are OVERWHELMINGLY black, or have huge black populations [or Hispanic] even though black folks make up only 13% of the U.S. population. What's the big deal or 'shame' of North Dakota being overwhelmingly white? Or Vermont for that matter.

And yes, Spain, Portugal,Italy,Greece are white, European countries. The descendants of immigrants from said countries are white, unless they intermarried/bred with another so-called race, like Mestizo Indians from Latin America, or with folks of African or Asian descent.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 12:33:52 PM

6. @Nat,

LOL...Rubio is as white as Casper the Ghost.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 12:36:07 PM

7. @Nat,

Guess what? I've been to Japan and Korea. Guess what? I got stared at ALL THE TIME. Because I'm 'white' with funny color hair and eyes [to some Asians at least]. People didn't mean any harm, they're just basically provincial hicks. Asians don't celebrate diversity. But being stared at for non-Asians in Asia is a fact of life.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 12:38:18 PM

8. @ratbastard

And there is that word shame again. Did I mention shame? I must've forgotten that detail, apparently.

Posted by: Nat | Apr 22, 2013 12:39:41 PM

9. They fired him

Posted by: CAnaivePete | Apr 22, 2013 12:39:53 PM

10. The GM and news director of this station should both be fired. Neither knows nothing re. hiring on-air talent. Apparently, the pickings are very slim in ND if they have to hire from so far outside like WV. Watch the mea culpa follow-up by her with the weather guy. More awfulness. Just tragic.

Posted by: CVP | Apr 22, 2013 12:40:53 PM

11. At :20 or so, "gay fu**ing s**t" is quite clear followed by his practice of the runner's name.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 22, 2013 12:50:12 PM

12. Is this NBC affiliate run by the local high school? Van Tieu sound awful as well. Maybe I CAN still make it as a news reader, but I wouldn't want to live in the Dakotas.

Posted by: Critifur | Apr 22, 2013 1:29:33 PM

13. Nat - You said "it's sad" . "It's sad that" and "it's a shame that" both mean "it's regrettable" in ENGLISH. Learn English, it will be useful to you.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 1:42:53 PM

14. Nat - The South is the origin of a disproportionate percentage of the American military. The American military are perhaps the most give to miscegenation of any group of Americans. In short, the South is crawling with Orientals, Amerasians, Vietnamese, and Filipinos. No one ever looked at you and asked "What the hell are you?"

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 22, 2013 1:50:12 PM

15. Most reporters swear worse than drunken sailors, so this is hardly a shock. It's also true that ND is the least visited state in the nation, so my guess is that it's normally very dull.

Posted by: anon | Apr 22, 2013 3:00:26 PM

16. This makes the local news in my hometown (Knoxville, Tennessee) look pretty slick.

Posted by: Marty | Apr 22, 2013 3:02:43 PM

17. I'm not sure why he was so concerned about pronouncing the name correctly. It's North Dakota -- if he mis-pronounces it, how will anyone know? Or, if they do, I can't imagine anyone will care that much. I live in Atlanta -- a MAJOR market, and broadcasters mis-pronounce things all the time. Big deal!!!! Lame excuse.

Posted by: Gregor | Apr 22, 2013 5:09:08 PM

18. Tank is right- Mr Clemente comes across as hot dumb jock type.

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 22, 2013 5:31:22 PM

19. @Nat -- "Lol, kind of sad that they are probably the only non-white people in all of ND."

Ehrrr, Nat: did they finally kill off the rest of the Indians while I was not looking?

Posted by: Bob | Apr 22, 2013 5:42:23 PM

20. Aw, I feel sorry for him. It was his first day, and what a major screw up. He's a cutie, though.

Posted by: Lilnemo | Apr 22, 2013 6:52:55 PM

21. LOL, I feel for the guy. It's obvious he just wasn't able to get his bearings back after realizing that they were on air during his gaffe.

Posted by: jim | Apr 22, 2013 6:56:29 PM

22. I thought i was watching a clip from Murphy Brown,

Posted by: grego | Apr 22, 2013 7:47:35 PM

23. in other words it never happen, let it slide and get on with the day...hey its on live TV news how the hell could he not know his microphone was one when he blurted out the those hateful and hurtful words. his sorry homophobic comeback is all just a slap to the face apology. he should be fired but then again he would known as the news idiot who said.

Posted by: albertam | Apr 22, 2013 8:28:33 PM

24. This is so sad... We just watched a young man 'blow' a chance at a career! What are we focused on? The CHANCE that he MAY have said the word gay... I listened to the tape and I can't tell what he was saying, but in today's politically correct climate, the poor guy has to do damage control and worry about if he's offended our community instead of bemoaning the fact that he was nervous, said "f**king sh*t" under his breath and lost his job. Then ( in order to keep stereotypes strong) all we can do is discuss how hot he is... I'm sickened..

Posted by: rd | Apr 22, 2013 9:58:45 PM

25. Oh... And @ TANK... I'm a 'Bitter old Queen' who is in his 50's and the thought of sex with this young man never occurred to me... Like you, just 'keeping it real'.

Posted by: rd | Apr 22, 2013 10:10:45 PM