Brett Easton Ellis | GLAAD | News

Bret Easton Ellis Says He Was Banned from Attending GLAAD Awards

Ellis

The GLAAD Media Awards were held in Los Angeles on Saturday night and author Bret Easton Ellis, whose rancid past tweets that Matt Bomer is too gay to play a heterosexual and that Chris Colfer and Glee give him fright of catching HIV have landed him in hot water, claims he was banned from the GLAAD awards.

Be_ellisWrote Ellis in a series of tweets:

"As a gay man in a domestic partnership who plans to get married I'm sad to hear I've been banned by GLAAD from attending tomorrow's event... GLAAD is supposedly "furious" about my tweets. And I'm guessing not the ones concerning my boyfriend or how sexy I think Adam Driver is... It's GLAAD's party and they can invite whoever they want, but as the guest of someone invited who was told today she can't bring me, well... After GLAAD banned me they told the friend who was bringing me to the event to WARN "Bret not to go public or TWEET about this decision..." Bill Clinton signed DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell and cheated on Hillary. I dissed Glee and Matt Bomer as Christian Grey. GLAAD: RIGHT ON!"

GLAAD vp of communications Rich Ferraro told the Hollywood Reporter:

"GLAAD spoke with the guest who was planning to bring Bret about some of Bret's recent remarks, which the gay community responded negatively to. We also asked for a time to sit down with Bret. They decided to replace Bret with a different guest and there has been no response to the offer of a meeting. We hope his tweets don't overshadow the high-profile allies and everyday LGBT people who will be onstage tonight advocating for equality in the Boy Scouts, marriage and across the country."

A full list of GLAAD Award winners can be found here.

President Bill Clinton's speech accepting his GLAAD award can be found here.

Comments

1. Yes, Adam Driver is a hottie. He's got that perfect off-center, kinda weird looking face.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 11:49:18 AM

2. Don't expect to be invited to parties if you cannot keep a civil tongue in your head.

Posted by: thepolarbeast | Apr 22, 2013 12:03:10 PM

3. Apparently American literature and popular culture has also banned Bret Easton Ellis as it hasn't given a sh*t about him since 1991.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 22, 2013 12:14:58 PM

4. Too bad, so sad. Thanks for reminding me how vile those tweets about Chris Colfer, who was 20 at the time and showed more courage than people three times his age, were.

Posted by: J.M. | Apr 22, 2013 1:26:26 PM

5. I've never had much use for either GLAAD or Ellis. But I think GLAAD has every right to determine who they want at their event.

Moreover, given all the not merely critical but hateful things Ellis has written about other gay people over the years, I don't blame them for not wanting him at their event.

Ellis has every right to say what he wants to say, and to continue saying it. And people have every right to respond the way they want to respond, in including being very critical.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Apr 22, 2013 1:49:52 PM

6. "into law and over 10 years later"*

blah typos

Posted by: Derrick | Apr 22, 2013 2:31:10 PM

7. Complaints from a guy who was known primarily for two books - one where the tortured bisexual character dies of a drug overdose and the other featured a killer who used an electric nail gun to crucify his rape victims. Maybe Ellis als can try using the 'I'm gay & wanna get married card' as a right to be invited to Chris Colfer's next party. STFU already.

Posted by: bret easton ell-was | Apr 22, 2013 2:59:31 PM

8. Why does anyone report on this homophobic loser? He just craves attention. Stop feeding the troll.

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Apr 22, 2013 3:04:39 PM

9. scumbag

Posted by: gomez | Apr 22, 2013 3:15:52 PM

10. Good move GLAAD!

Posted by: andrew | Apr 22, 2013 6:32:46 PM

11. When did gays start liking GLAAD again? I didn't get that memo.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 22, 2013 6:39:52 PM

12. We've gone and upset Ms. Ellis again. The real issue is why anyone still covers what she says and provides her with free publicity.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Apr 22, 2013 7:35:33 PM

13. Okay, I know this won't be popular, and I am just a straight gal who strongly supports gay rights so it doesn't matter, but isn't this going too far? (I always get connected to this site through DListed because Michael K is PURE GENIUS!)

I am black, and I used to work on a black awards show. Famous and semi-famous black people sometimes say INSANE - I mean certifiable - things about other black people, but we never banned anybody from the show. Even the crazy people were invited, and everybody just chilled out for the night and had a good time. I think that was the right decision. That's just my opinion as a member of a marginalized community in which somee community members say psycho stuff all of the time.

I agree that if the GLAAD awards can forgive frigging Bill Clinton for the frankly unforgivable DOMA, then why can't they just let Brett Easton Ellis write crazy things and still come to the ceremony? (I mean the black awards show NEVER, EVER invited Strom Thurmond or gave him an award. I'm just saying.)

Also, I have to say that back in the 80s, Less than Zero was one of the earliest pop culture representations of bisexuality, which was kind of a big deal so let's not forget that. Ellis was ahead of the rest of mainstream culture in terms of challenging heteronormativity, and I think that means something so I have a soft spot for him.

Posted by: DiMi | Apr 23, 2013 12:00:26 AM

14. high-profile allies

*everyday* LGBT people

...

so making more of a fuss about the people that attend the special olympics rather than participate it in?

Posted by: Satyr Troll | Apr 23, 2013 5:50:29 AM

15. GLAAD sure loves licking the ass of het allies. same reason i'm done with the it get better campaign. let them all boil in their own hot dog juice.

Posted by: Plum | Apr 23, 2013 11:25:11 AM

16. I wouldn't invite BEE to his own funeral. So good on GLAAD

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 26, 2013 5:32:39 PM

17. Good for GLAAD!
    Ellis is a whining jerk.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 22, 2014 5:02:22 PM