BigGayDeal.com

'Bridegroom', the Documentary Inspired by One Gay Couple's Love Cut Short: TRAILER PREMIERE

Shane

Many of you are familiar with the devastating video "It Could Happen to You" made by Shane Bitney Crone in response to the accidental death of his boyfriend Tom Bridegroom. The video, which chronicled what happened to Shane after Tom's sudden death has been viewed more than 3.5 million times.

2_bridegroomAfter the video went viral, a producing team led by director Linda Bloodworth Thomason sought funds on Kickstarter for a documentary about Tom's story, a Kickstarter which broke records for the fundraising start-up.

“The prejudice and bigotry that Shane and Tom experienced was not unlike what I witnessed in 1986 when my mother died of transfused AIDS," said Bloodworth Thomason.

Now, Bloodworth Thomason has completed the film and it's set to premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on Tuesday, April 23 where it will have four screenings.

Towleroad is now bringing you the premiere of the trailer for Bridegroom.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bridegroom tells the emotional journey of Shane Bitney Crone and Tom Bridegroom, two young men in a loving and committed relationship that was cut tragically short by a misstep off the side of a roof. The story of what happened after this accidental death – of how people without the legal protections of marriage can find themselves completely shut out and ostracized - is poignant, enraging and opens a window onto the issue of marriage equality like no speech or lecture ever will.

Said Bitney Crone to Towleroad:

"Tom and I were not perfect, but we were perfect for each other. Our love was undeniable, and when I lost him, I lost a large part of myself. No matter how hard Tom's family tries; they can never erase the love that Tom and I had for each other, and the life that we started together. If Tom and I were legally married, I would never have been so easily disregarded, and knowing that Tom would have wanted his family to embrace me, makes me more determined to fight for this cause. I will never be able to hold Tom again, or tell him that I love him, but this movie may convince many opponents to reconsider their stance on marriage equality, not for me or for Tom, but for love."

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the trailer:

Here's Shane Bitney-Crone's heartbreaking video which inspired the production:

Comments

1. Beautiful story. Tom's parents deserve to rot in hell.

Posted by: amber | Apr 4, 2013 11:00:25 PM

2. Dear Shane;

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I am very close in age to you and Tom, and am also Gay. I cry every time I watch your video 'it could happen to you'. I think I have watched it nearly a 1000 times. I was SO worried that my family would react to me the same way that Tom's family did. I have a cousin that came out a few years ago, and she was rejected by her parents. I was so worried that I just wanted peace and attempted taking my own life. Twice now, first when I was 21, and again about 7 months ago. I came out about 2 months ago, and life is finally starting to feel better. YOU helped me to have the courage to come out to my friends and family. I no longer feel broken. I call your video, 'my greatest fear'. I was also recently DENIED giving blood just for being gay... I am standing up now to protect myself and the ones I love. I am happy to be here, but I also want and deserve equal rights.

So once again; THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Posted by: JF | Apr 5, 2013 12:50:53 AM

3. Sorry for your loss. Thank you for persevering through this tragedy. You will make a difference... you already have. Sending all the love and kindness you deserve.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 5, 2013 12:25:46 PM

4. Sweetheart, you make another Facebook page that you control, Post your beautiful pictures of you and your baby. The love you two shared is so obvious and beautiful. It needs to be celebrated. Let no one tell you what you can and cant do or who you can or cant love. Hugs for you. He is always there and never leaves your side. Know you are loved.

Posted by: Jessica | Apr 5, 2013 6:28:46 PM

5. Sweetheart, you make another Facebook page that you control, Post your beautiful pictures of you and your baby. The love you two shared is so obvious and beautiful. It needs to be celebrated. Let no one tell you what you can and cant do or who you can or cant love. Hugs for you. He is always there and never leaves your side. Know you are loved.

Posted by: Jessica | Apr 5, 2013 6:28:47 PM

6. This is a bad taste advertisement for insurance. This could happen to you. Get everything you can -- everything. Obviously one commenter says someone's parents should "rot in hell" Typical gay compassion...

Posted by: Goal | Apr 5, 2013 9:00:16 PM

7. falls off a roof?
    what's that about?
    how does that happen?
    when was the last time you heard of someone falling off a roof
    were drugs involved?
    suicide -
    assume this was investigated
    and to state the very obvious:
    if they weren't white pretty and young the movie would not be made and this site would not be flogging this tiresome story
    who cares
    I mean boo hoo another pretty white blond boy with good teeth dies -

Posted by: jw | Apr 5, 2013 10:08:48 PM

8. Serious!!! Only 6 yrs! try 14 ..

Posted by: my | Apr 5, 2013 10:30:16 PM

9. you all are off, After 14 yrs of struggle with the world and my sweetie almost losing me, you have no idea!

Posted by: my | Apr 5, 2013 10:31:04 PM

10. Heterosexuals are evil. We as a gay community need to start calling out heterosexuals and their homophobic evils andnot standing flippantly as they continue being homophobic.

These two young men are brave and I applaud this powerful documentary

Posted by: Lazerlight | Apr 6, 2013 5:02:50 AM

11. @jw
    well if u n-ggers would stop killing everyone in every neighborhood you all pollute, maybe we'd have more compassion for you monkeys. you sick monkeys should be back in Africa. You black monkeys ruin every region u move your ghetto filth into.
    die of diabetes you ghetto thug. all ur parents are in jail I bet. rotting.
    gays will be gaining acceptance in society more and more...get used to it.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 6, 2013 5:05:12 AM

12. where the hell did that last post come from?? totally 19th century not even worthy of a response. love is love, the details don't matter moron.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Apr 6, 2013 5:55:55 PM

13. I can't wait to see this. Amazing story, Tom and Shane are going to change the world! Lots of love and good energy to all!

Posted by: Sebastian | Apr 6, 2013 6:05:02 PM

14. I saw the film at TriBeCa today and found it deeply, deeply moving. Shane is a truly brave guy for telling his story and for using his tragedy to change perceptions and, possibly, the law. Bravo.

Posted by: Jaan | Apr 28, 2013 3:46:11 PM

15. Young man,
    Never give up on fighting and what you believe in. Although I am eighteen years old, I have had a personal experience with the gays and lesbians at the age of five. After graduating from high school this year, I want to become an activist and fight for the gay and lesbians as well as African-Americans, and other minorities.
    After seeing the trailer, I wanted to shed a tear because although I don't know you or your love personally, I would say he was sent from above.
    If we ever meet in life, I hope you and me can become partners in crime to fight for equality or best of all the best of friends. I must go now and prepare to do my mission for what God wants me to do, but first graduating from high school is what I must complete before I go into the world. May God bless you and your family.

Posted by: Amelia Brianna Rucker | May 12, 2013 12:45:06 AM