Gay Marriage | News | Paraguay

Paraguay's Presidential Frontrunner Says He'd Shoot Himself in the Nuts if His Son Married a Man

Paraguay's is holding presidential elections on Sunday and its frontrunner, Horacio Cartes, was asked to react to Uruguay's recent passage of marriage equality, the NYT reports:

CartesIn a radio interview this month, Mr. Cartes, 57, theatrically threatened to inflict harm on his own private parts if his 28-year-old son were to seek to marry another man.

“I would shoot myself in the testicles, because I do not agree,” he said, using slightly more colorful language to describe how he would react to such a possibility.

Cartes also "set off a fierce controversy...after publicly comparing gay people to 'monkeys' and likening the support of same-sex marriage to believing in 'the end of the world.'"

Cartes' opponent is also opposed to same-sex marriage, but, the paper reports, has adopted a "more nuanced stance."

Comments

1. Typical latin american macho idiot

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 17, 2013 5:49:57 PM

2. I am mentally ill. Please ignore me.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 17, 2013 7:51:09 PM

3. What a terrible thing to say; however, it would be ironic if his son were to come out as gay...

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 17, 2013 9:14:16 PM

4. Well now I just want his son to come out.

Posted by: Artem | Apr 17, 2013 9:19:27 PM

5. If all homophobes shoot themselves in the testicles to prove that they're real men, I'm fine with that.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Apr 18, 2013 3:13:23 AM

6. @ElCid: just out of curiosity, is "shooting yourself in the testicles" a figure of speech in your country? If not, that guy really went off the deep end!

BTW, I saw a free play by a left-wing theater group that described the U.S. as a banana republic without the bananas. Plus there is a store named "The Banana Republic" that claimed to have started by picking up out-of-vogue uniforms from countries that have frequent revolutions, and would resell those uniforms at very low (but actually not so low) prices.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 18, 2013 3:18:55 AM

7. So his son is gay????

If not then it's not likely he's going to marry another man. What an idiot.

Posted by: mmike1969 | May 1, 2013 5:41:15 PM