Anderson Cooper | Brendon Ayanbadejo | Football (American) | News | Sports

Anderson Cooper Talks to Brendon Ayanbadejo About the '4 Players', Being an Ally, the 'F' Word, and His Sexuality: VIDEO

Ac_ba

Former Baltimore Raven linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo sat down with Anderson Cooper last night for a nice interview about his work in LGBT rights advocacy. Anderson asked him what propelled him to be an ally, what he hears in the locker room, whether his own sexuality is questioned in the process of fighting for equality, and about those rumors of the 4 NFL players planning to come out.

Cnn_ayanbadejoAyanbadejo tempers expectations a bit on his more precise statements earlier, and the idea of a 'fantastic four' of gay football players now seems much more hypothetical.

Says Ayanbadejo:

No, actually, what it is is, is there are organizations I'm in contact with, and there are individuals I'm in contact with and collectively we know of some gay players. And these players, some of them are anonymous, some of them we know who they are, but their identity is super secret and nobody wants to reveal who they are, and some of them don't want to reveal who they are, rightfully so because it's entirely up to them what they are gonna do.

What we want to facilitate is getting them all together so they can lean on each other, so they can have a support group. And potentially, it's possible, it's fathomable, that they could possibly do something together, and break a story together. And one of them had voiced that he would like to break his story with someone else and not do it alone....Not all these athletes are in the NFL. Some are in other sports as well.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. By the way, you should all realize, as well, that virtually the only prominent people in any field who have ever come out either a) had very little, if anything, to lose by doing so, or b) had something to gain by doing so.

Nobody is going to destroy their own lives or their livelihoods for the sake of making some out-of-touch, out-of-the-social-mainstream gay activists happy (most of whom are only out because they are so socially marginal to begin with that they, themselves, have nothing to lose by doing so). And nobody who is being reasonable should ever expect that of anyone.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:22:43 PM

2. This guy should have a very secure position in corporate America now that he has retired from the NFL just from the intelligent confidence he radiates on TV. He would be an asset to any cause, company or team. Lucky for us we have him. As a straight, biracial man he could have enormous potential influence in winning over allies to our cause. May I also say, he sure is handsome;)

Posted by: John | Apr 6, 2013 3:26:03 PM

3. I just don't understand why my constant posts ever day about how much I hate effeminate gay men has not stopped those gay men from being effeminate. Whether it's some teenager who gets bullied at school, or some "fabulous gay diva man", none of them seem to be intimidated by my hatred toward them. Even when I wish that effeminate kids get beaten up and bullied, it always seems there are gay people and straight people who support that fem kid anyway, so if you liberals who worship effeminacy would simply join me in hating on effeminate men maybe my dreams will finally come true.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:26:55 PM

4. garth and rick = same poster.

Anyone notice the string of negative comments always seem to follow rick back to back? Gee, I wonder if it's him using one of his MANY screenames on here

Posted by: Jones | Apr 6, 2013 3:27:37 PM

5. By the way, does anyone recommend a brand of adult diapers? I have a serious problem with my pooper.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:28:28 PM

6. Rick: get off the wheel chair already and go garden or soemthing. You old fart. NO ONE hear actually reads your tirades dumb@$$

Posted by: Klien | Apr 6, 2013 3:28:51 PM

7. If you liberals did what I did, and anonymously told effeminate men that they're ruining things for the rest of us, then maybe they'd go away and let us masculine gay men come out.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:31:59 PM

8. @Jones You may not have been around long enough to realize that Little Kiwi frequently posts under my name as am impostor. The only two comments in this thread that are by me, the real Rick, are the one beginning "Well, if anything..." and the one beginning "By the way, you should all realize...."

The others are by Little Kiwi posting under my name. Most intelligent people can tell the difference.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:34:22 PM

9. Rick: It is a strange blend this masculine and feminine gay battle. I agree with Rick that it should not be a masculine gays job to come out just to prove that masculine gays exist -- making it easier for the "brunch" crowd.

Posted by: Garth | Apr 6, 2013 3:46:35 PM

10. Of course, I'd put a face to who I am to prove that this is the real Rick typing right now, but as I said earlier it's not up to masculine like myself to come out and be visible as gay men, it's up to masculine gay men like myself to tell effeminate men that they're effeminate from the anonymity of my computer.

And for some reason, not matter how many times I type it those effeminate men dont' seem to be going anywhere. I tell them every day that they're the reason men like me can't come out and they're so selfish that they continue eating brunch and holding their boyfriends' hands in public while truly masculine gay men like myself are left sitting by our computers realizing that life has passed us by.

So, no. I will not be giving any shred of proof that I am what I say I am because my job is merely to use the internet to tell effeminate gay men that it's their fault that my balls never dropped.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:48:28 PM

11. Rick: I like Jason better. Garth just doesn't suit you. It doesn't have the same ring Jason or David Hearne have. just my opinion though, seeing how next week you'll be Tank or Tori anyway.

Posted by: HP | Apr 6, 2013 3:51:33 PM

12. Garth, the effeminate brunch crowd already has it easy. They're the ones who are out. It's masculine gay men like yourself and I who are put at a disadvantage. And yes, we don't need to come out. The real solution is for those effeminate gay men to hear our words and realize that for us to come out it will require all of them to go back in the closet and STAY THERE. I wonder when that will happen. When happy, out, proud gay effeminate men will finally care about our anonymous postings online and go back into hiding so that we can come out and do masculine things together as masculine gay men.

We don't need to come out as gay men. Those effeminate types need to do what we do and start hiding every day.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 3:54:33 PM

13. God I love that the fem part of gay culture will never go anywhere, and that fem gays will ALWAYS be part of the gay community. I freakin love it. If for nothing else, because "str8 acting" Rick types have to go 6 feet under in their masculinity and die knowing their war against fem gays went nowhere, because fem gays will always AND I MEAN ALWAYS be part of our community.

Stress does cause an early grave, so keep digging Rick :)

Posted by: Oienstien | Apr 6, 2013 3:57:24 PM

14. You're partly right, Oienstien. I was talking to a bunch of butch manly gay men recently and I tossed out one of my standard "I just hate those effeminate types!" comments and those men lambasted me for being a "self-hating homosexual." See? Effeminates are even making naturally-masculine gay men feel like they need to defend effeminate gay men! Can you believe it!? They DEFENDED effeminate queens! I was so upset I went back home and masturbated to images of my mother just to wash the shame away.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 6, 2013 4:06:33 PM

15. Who cares about these idiots? I mean really.

Posted by: Kevin thor | Apr 6, 2013 5:10:57 PM

16. I still hate her eyebrows.

Posted by: Hagatha | Apr 6, 2013 5:18:53 PM

17. I think other posters made a good point: the world is A LOT more homophobic than people think, especially if they live in more liberal areas. It's disgusting that there are threats against openly gay American Football players. Perhaps it's time to switch to rugby--that sport seems to be more open, anyway.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 6, 2013 7:18:51 PM

18. Garth is Garth, not Rick. But some of you are "so sure". Proves how "wrong" your responses are. Gay marriage is going to make gay life boring, and being gay boring. Hope you're all happy. So many comment come backs deal with death. That's one topic you guys seem to be experts on. If someone doesn't agree -- bring them death.

Posted by: Garth | Apr 6, 2013 7:44:26 PM

19. Rick is having another Michelle Shocked break down folks. LOL look at his hysteria over our beautiful fem gay brothers and butch lesbian sisters. Rick, commit yourself in an institution already.

Posted by: Face 4 | Apr 6, 2013 8:58:21 PM

20. @ Garth
    Just because no one wants to touch you with a 500 foot long pole doesn't mean you need to pour your miserable existence on other loving gay couples who want to get married, and our community will see to it ALL same sex couples in all 50 states are given the constitutional right to marry the one they love. I've met miserable gay souls like you who preach against gay marriage. Funny how y'all are always repulsive, bitter, unappealing inside and out. Gee, couldn't be that misery loves company?

Posted by: JoJo | Apr 6, 2013 9:01:26 PM

21. How could you love anyone JoJo? You sound like a very bitter know it all. Unfortunately it's not going to play out as you desire. I'm no unappealing miserable soul like you speak of. If you saw me you'd be interested. Really? An attractive enemy within? Imagine.... Kiss your mirror fool. You may be all you wind up with. Evil weirdo.

Posted by: GB | Apr 6, 2013 11:33:38 PM

22. Anderson isn't doing anything for the gay community...The GLAAD award always proves it...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Apr 7, 2013 11:55:50 AM

23. Is it a coincidence he did all of this just as he ready to be retired??

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Apr 7, 2013 12:04:25 PM

24. The whole thing was a lie. No NFL player is about to come out. This lie was perpetuated so it would look like the NFL was a welcoming place after last month it was revealed that players were being asked if they had girlfriends.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Apr 7, 2013 7:54:33 PM

25. Wouldn't it be interesting if Brendan were to be hired by the NFL as liaison to the lgbtq community. Or hired by HRC or another fine lgbtq community to be liaison to Professional Sports.

Posted by: Bob Kegeles | Apr 7, 2013 8:05:50 PM