Mike Fédée | France | Gay Marriage

A Gay Frenchman's Gorgeous Message to Homophobes About Marriage: VIDEO

Frenchman

Mike Fédée has a message to French people afraid of same-sex marriage: Fear Not.

Turn on the English subtitles by pressing CC on the video.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I speak French and let me tell you his text has extraordinary eloquence. And supreme tone and diction.
    Vraiment fabuleux!

Posted by: Michel | Apr 19, 2013 2:45:35 PM

2. Would the message be different if he were unattractive and/or ethnically French?

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 19, 2013 2:58:18 PM

3. Sorry to learn of the remaining hurdles. Apparently, some members of the lower house came to physical blows over this issue at the session's end. Wow. Well, best of luck to this cutie pie and all the French people.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 19, 2013 5:41:14 PM

4. Are people that shallow that all that they can see is that he's shirtless and that he has a pretty face? Never mind that the message is important. So what if it feels "rehearsed" or staged. The message is the important thing. If you cannot see that you really are jaded.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Apr 19, 2013 7:11:38 PM

5. I'm with you, Joseph. I get tired of all the supercilious, jaded criticism in the comments sections of this site. This was meant to be a piece of dramatic performance for the purpose of persuasion and making a powerful, humanist statement. Of course it's not some spontaneous off-the-cuff blather, but an eloquently scripted piece spoken and performed flawlessly. He's French -- it's meant to be artistic, and he does a terrific job. I found it wonderfully moving. But I do have to confess, Joseph, that I am shallow enough to find him hot and adorable, and am willing to fly to France to marry him once same-sex marriage is official there.

Posted by: ajax2828 | Apr 19, 2013 9:04:10 PM

6. The last time an announcement of change began with the words "Be not afraid," things worked out pretty well for the world eventually. May this also be the harbinger of good things.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 20, 2013 1:35:21 AM

7. Interesting that he is obviously not ethnically French. The North African immigrant population likely to be some of the most homophobic.

Oh and candide001 - what exactly do you think is the point of repeating every tired arguement about marriage equality, most of which were pretty much laughed out of federal court in California? And on a website I imagine is read mainly by educated gay people? (I imagine the site has researched the actual readership demographics).

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 20, 2013 1:40:15 AM

8. i vote for not gorgeous.
    and put your shirt on if youre talking to straight people.
    and what is dripping on the wall be hind him?
    and his speech? cheezey. even if it was french cheese.

Posted by: steven | Apr 20, 2013 5:56:13 AM

9. FACE. mmmmmm.

Posted by: steve | Apr 20, 2013 10:13:57 AM

10. I understand French, and I don't think the delivery is that over the top. It's quite a lovely delivery, if you think of it as someone reciting a poem.

Posted by: Max | Apr 20, 2013 2:20:40 PM

11. Very handsome guy. I believe he's at least part North African.At least he looks it.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 20, 2013 8:39:02 PM

12. "les casseurs des pédés(?)" Oh là là, t'habites å Paris, pas a Moscow. Rassurez vous, les casseurs des pédés ne sont pas très commun.

Posted by: Jacques | Apr 20, 2013 11:59:49 PM

13. Little Kiwi - God did make Adam and Eve and he also made Adam and Yves.

Posted by: jhr459 | Apr 21, 2013 12:40:22 AM

14. @ratbastard: he's from Martinique, which means French nationality and probably mixed black and white ethnicity. But I agree, he could be north African. I'm myself half senegalese half french and people often think i'm arab (you can judge in the video I linked, I'm the guy with the book and the dancer at the end ;-)

Posted by: Kylian | Apr 21, 2013 1:40:14 PM

15. Nice words, but.... why does an attempt to reassure a mainstream and conservative audience that gays are like everyone else (and not all about sex etc) get delivered by a shirtless boy? Bizarre. Ok, you got my attention, but none of the people you are ostensibly trying to reach.

Posted by: Yikes | Apr 21, 2013 1:58:56 PM

16. Simply stunning in every way...I think I'm almost ready to do the whole life experience over again...hopefully my belief in reincarnation will rebirth me in France (where I was blissed and kissed earlier on).

Posted by: Leonardo Ricardo | Apr 23, 2013 1:37:39 PM

17. Oh, French guys are so adorable...!!! I'd be so proud to have ten sons just like him.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jun 3, 2013 11:52:44 AM

18. The cadences remind me of "I have a dream..." As a poetry reading, it works very well. If there's anything to quibble about, it's the lack of a shirt: telling people "fear not" would go over more smoothly in modest attire.

As to ethnicity, remember that Martinique is the birthplace of Josephine de Beauharnais Bonaparte. You can hardly get more French than Notre Dame des Victoires.

Posted by: Rich | Jun 4, 2013 7:03:50 PM

19. Love the messages (there was more than one).

The one I loved the most was that the children of gay-bashers would forgive their bashing parents because they knew the children of gay folks and realized compassion.

As a child of a gay-basher (who tearfully told me of his queer-rolling) I forgave him as a gay person. Because he really was tormented about it, for DECADES and letting him off the hook after DECADES was a mercy, to him and to me.

I know there's a lot of folks out there who want to string up all the homophobes, run them out of town, but if you did that you'd not be following the example of such people as Martin Luther King Jr., or Gandhi, or President Nelson Mandela.

I'd rather be in the company of (what we humans call) The Saints than to be a person who carries that animosity around forever.

Posted by: YsoSerious | Jul 11, 2013 7:17:47 PM