Comments

1. says

CANNOT WAIT.

I’m glad I’m alive right now at a time when this subject can be broached with quirk, whimsy, self-awareness and what looks to be a lot of heart.

anything to get young’uns talking about this is a great thing, indeed.

coming out in high school was a really interesting experience: some of the people i thought were going to be more supportive seemed passive and distant, and people whom i’de previously discounted or even figured would give me crap ended up making the effort to engage me, support me, and have my back. specifically, some of the people who’d given me crap in freshman year ended up doing a complete about-face and became some of the most astonishingly awesome buds and Allies ever.

and i’m glad the kids in this film look like versions of myself and the other gay kids who were coming out while i was in school. it’s not a stereotype. it’s an archetype. those were the vanguards, baby.

2. will says

I don’t get this premise. All these students are apparently pro-gay and watch gay reality shows and want to be the first to have a gay best friend — and this is the FIRST out student in the school ever? It seems inconcievable that throughout all the stuff happening in the culture in the past 15 years that there would be no out gay student if at least 3 or 4% of every student body was gay. Maybe I am overanalyzing this.

3. Mike Ryan says

This does look good, quite fun and I hope it isn’t just the trailer. I came out publicly in Junior High but had been gay all my life. By the time I hit high school you had to be a total geek not to know I was the gay guy. I loved school and was very popular (school mascot) – ran around with all the cheerleaders and their hunky boyfriends (who were oftentimes mine on the side). There was this one guy who sat alphabetically in front of me (Rudyer, Ryan) in every class we attended together and he was a jerk always complaining he had to sit in from of the “queer”. Lo ‘n behold I found him at the park one late night -in the bushes. We never did become friends but by college he was out and proud. I had known this guy since second grade.

4. emjayay says

Thanks Will and Mike Ryan. Obviously this is a B movie made to be supposedly amusing and current but not conforming that much to reality. Everyone is thin and beautiful and appear to be 22 because they are – beginning actors just out of college who got an agent because of their looks. Black girls wearing wigs, ugh.

5. wesley says

@ will, i was at ang lee’s hulk movie and there was a guy in the lobby who went on and on about the improbability, flaws, and rule breaking of the laws of physics in the movie. he said, “you can’t pick a tank up by the turret and lift it like that without the tank coming apart”. with no apparent self awareness, the most implausible part of the premise, gamma rays turning a man into a green rage monster, was accepted at face value. are you that guy in the lobby? do you get the point of movies? it’s ok to suspend disbelief every once in a while, it might just be the vehicle for a little entertainment!

6. Dani says

@Adam I don’t think it’s meant to be stereotypical. In fact, i think the very thing they’re striving for is the message that gay men are not an accessory and that they need to be treated like human beings not a trend.

7. says

well, it’s not stereotypical. it’s archetypical. there’s a difference 😉

what does this look like? it looks like the kids who DO come out in highschool, that’s what. ie, my friends and i.