Georgia | News

Georgia County Holds Its First Integrated Prom: VIDEO

Wilcox

Progress over the weekend in Wilcox County, Georgia, in 2013.

And even so, some residents still felt the need to sponsor a separate 'whites only' prom.

Apparently Governor Nathan Deal couldn't take a side:

Gov. Nathan Deal won't take sides in the controversy over some Wilcox County teens' efforts to integrate their prom. By email, his spokesman, Brian Robinson, said Deal would have no response to a liberal group's call for state officials, including the governor to speak out.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. And gays want equality, too. Guess we'll have to wait in line in Georgia County behind everyone else.

Seriously can't believe this is happening in 2013. That is one messed up area.

Posted by: westguy3@yahoo.com | Apr 30, 2013 2:36:28 PM

2. yeah. gosh-darn you leftists and democrats, tryin' to be all integrated. being all liberal and not segregatin'.

intolerant attention seekin leftist liberal democrat-types thinking they're so great cuz they aint attendin' no Klan meetings.

i literally can't believe this is happening for the first time.

WOW.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 30, 2013 2:37:22 PM

3. The next thing you know they will start marrying each other or something!

The End IS Near!

Posted by: Gus | Apr 30, 2013 2:42:49 PM

4. I just can't believe that something like this can be news in 2013.

We know the reasons to be an blantant homophobe are in the Bible (if you select want you want, of course), but what's the excuse to be a racist?

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 30, 2013 2:50:36 PM

5. He wrote, "This is a leftist front group for the state Democratic party and we're not going to lend a hand to their silly publicity stunt."
    Really...publicity stunt?!?

Posted by: Mark A | Apr 30, 2013 2:50:59 PM

6. ...wow... just wow. Embarrassingly so.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 30, 2013 2:52:22 PM

7. Watch out Old Georgia, a new wave in a new generation is coming to wash you away.

Posted by: trees | Apr 30, 2013 2:53:37 PM

8. This is a good reminder of how ignorant and backward so many people in this country are.

People in rural areas are, in general, less educated than in urban areas. And there is a lot of rural area in the US.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 30, 2013 2:58:43 PM

9. I can't believe this is happening in 2013!? It just furthers my opinion that we all may have been better off if the South had been allowed to secede.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 30, 2013 3:03:09 PM

10. The south scares me. I will never visit any of those hick states (Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc).

Posted by: Stuck in Another Time | Apr 30, 2013 3:20:29 PM

11. The south scares me. I will never visit any of those hick states (Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc).

Posted by: Stuck in Another Time | Apr 30, 2013 3:20:32 PM

12. I grew up in NJ, lived in NY and MA, and live in VA now. I had my share of Yankee presumption. Living here for 5 years has reinforced some stereotypes and undermined others. My partner and I are welcome at potluck dinners and the farm market. One BIG differentiator, especially in small Southern towns, is the presence of a college campus. Drops of blue among the red. Find us, seek us out; we're here, and we're happy, and you're welcome to join us for fresh herbs & wine tasting.

Posted by: Jersey boy | Apr 30, 2013 3:27:08 PM

13. If you prefer the half-glass-full version, black and white students at the school demanded the integrated prom, organized it, and raised enough funds to support it.

The people pushing to keep segregated proms were primarily parents and alumni.

Posted by: ripper | Apr 30, 2013 3:28:47 PM

14. I live in Georgia. After nearly 10 years of my life in this state. I can say that nothing surprises me anymore. For all of the "progress" in Atlanta, there is still a lot of backwards thinking outside of the metro area. I actually do love Atlanta, but I am looking to relocate because I think Georgia is just way behind politically.

Posted by: THurts | Apr 30, 2013 3:29:02 PM

15. As a Christian, I do not think these young people can call themselves Christians by mixing the races this way, in open unrepentant rebellion to God.

Posted by: Chris Broussard | Apr 30, 2013 3:29:50 PM

16. I hope this is not an inflammatory comment but I am confused by one thing in this situation. The school has been having two proms for 40 years, one white and the other black. Why wasn't the black prom integrated years ago? Did the school say "no". Did the board of education say "no". Or was the black prom always open to white students.

Posted by: Taneshia | Apr 30, 2013 3:31:29 PM

17. @Taneshia
    Technically the school doesn't host these proms. That's because if they did they'd have to follow anti-discrimination laws. They get around that by having the parents host them as private events.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 30, 2013 3:34:12 PM

18. LOL. On a side note, why when try to be provocative, do they show a white girl with a black dude? Talk about a tired cliche. How about showing more black girls with white dudes?

There are forces in this country that, due to political and ideological reasons, will NEVER stop making a big deal about 'race' in this country. And those people are on the left of the political spectrum. Rule #1: Keep 'em radicalized...don't want them straying off the plantation.

Posted by: ratbastardwhatthehayyo@gmail.com | Apr 30, 2013 3:37:06 PM

19. I'm craving some big black juicy cock.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 30, 2013 3:44:08 PM

20. I'm craving some big black juicy cock.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 30, 2013 3:44:09 PM

21. Georgia demographics:

In terms of race and ethnicity, the state was 59.7% White (55.9% Non-Hispanic White Alone), 30.5% Black or African American, 0.3% American Indian and Alaska Native, 3.2% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 4.0% from Some Other Race, and 2.1% from Two or More Races. Hispanics and Latinos of any race made up 8.8% of the population.

That's an enormous black population, FAR higher than the U.S. national average of 13%, and as you move further west away from the east the black population drops below that 13% national average.

Canada has a 2% black population! 2% ! Toronto is around 7-8%.

The UK is around 2%

My point being people from places outside of the deep south like Georgia, where the black population is quite high, and people of all races learn to get along with each other on a daily basis because there's really few places you won't bump into a black [or white] person, have zero business lecturing or looking down on southerners in regards to race issues.

Yes Mr. Miller, great, multicultural Canada has a very small black population. Even 'racist' Boston has a black population proportionate to the population 3 times higher [!] @ 25%, than Toronto.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 30, 2013 3:46:18 PM

22. In 1981 when the school was forced by the courts to integrate their prom, they chose to just stop having one. Since then, these two proms have been continued by private groups. The County is still endorsing segregation by refusing to hold an official school prom. The governor is an idiot for refusing to support something that shouldn't even require a statement. I'm happy to live in the relatively progressive Atlanta, but you don't have to get too far outside the Perimeter to be in the South. It scares me out there..

Posted by: Chadd | Apr 30, 2013 3:47:33 PM

23. Ratbastard, we have a lower percentage of black people in Canada because we didn't bring them here in chains to work as slaves for us.

Posted by: ger | Apr 30, 2013 3:52:08 PM

24. The U.S. has a large black population because of the slave trade, not because we are more racially tolerant than Canada, ya ignorant ratfucker.

Seriously, please die.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 30, 2013 3:54:49 PM

25. You guys should watch "Prom Night in Mississippi". It's a great documentary about Charleston, Mississippi, and it features Morgan Freeman who lives there.

Freeman offered to pay for the prom twice (once in the 90s and then in 2008... the documentary is about the latter). His only condition was that the prom must be racially integrated. In the 90s the Charleston High School declined. In 2008... well, just watch the documentary. It's a great one.

Posted by: Jude | Apr 30, 2013 3:55:49 PM