Gay Slurs | News | Sports

MLS Player Alan Gordon Calls Opponent 'Faggot', Apologizes: VIDEO

Gordon

San Jose Earthquakes forward Alan Gordon got caught on camera mouthing the words "f**king faggot" at Portland Timbers player Will Johnson on Sunday.

Deadspin writes:

Indeed, if there's any doubt as to what Gordon said it can be seen in Johnson's immediate reaction above; his three fingers and what appears to be the words "three games" refer to the standard MLS disciplinary action for dropping an on-pitch "faggot."

Gordon apologized through the team:

"I would like to sincerely apologize to everyone who watched tonight's match on NBC Sports Network. The language I used came during a heated moment and does not reflect my feelings toward the gay and lesbian community. I made a mistake and I accept full responsibility for my actions."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Clearer video here.

Comments

1. Yeah, f*ggot is such an "acceptable swear"--that's why the always enlightened sports world disciplines those who use it and why this guy immediately dropped an apology. Are some of you nostalgic for the good old days when homophobia was given a pass? Well, that time is over. If it wasn't over, there would be no apologies.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 15, 2013 11:39:15 AM

2. My brother was a raging homophobe and his favorite word was f&ggot. He'd call everything that. One day we passed an obvious gay couple, and he rolled down the window and screamed f&ggot at them. This was back when I was in the closet. At that moment, I kept thinking what that innocent gay couple must have felt. How terrible it must have made them feel, all for minding their own business and walking down the side walk. This single word made me go further and deeper in the closet because of my brother's use of it. The word damnit or bull crap never drove anyone to suicide. But I can assure you, the word f&ggot made me question living, and if I'd ever accept who I am.

Posted by: Gio | Apr 15, 2013 11:46:56 AM

3. Thank you Klien for sharing your personal experiences with the word. Sad that some are just incapable of 'getting it'. It's not about how the word effects just as adult gays, but eliminating the popularity of the word so future generations of gays, especially young, don't have to endure it. Because it is used as an insult, and to even pretend it's not is ridiculous. Luckily, it's used farrrrrr less in society outside of the average 13 year old. And it's lack of popularity in casual convo is as a direct result of it being shunned as an inappropriate phrase thanks to incidents like this. Never accept or celebrate ignorance as a part of existence. Especially when you don't have to.

Posted by: hugh | Apr 15, 2013 11:52:02 AM

4. Harris, thank you for your input. Important because it gives an insight from the viewpoint of a heterosexual man who has seen what heterosexuals do when not in the presence of gay people. It's one thing to say you're a friend but what people do behind closed doors is another story.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 15, 2013 11:55:10 AM

5. apology accepted, but can they PLEASE start fining these guys the same way Ms. Jackson got fined for an exposed nipple?

i dare say, hateful bigoted words do more harm than...um...nipples.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:01:53 PM

6. What is the big deal... we use Fag, Faggot Dyke, Queer all the time... if we use it then it should be ok for everyone to us it.

"Do as I say... Not as I do"

Posted by: Sockman | Apr 15, 2013 12:23:57 PM

7. sorry Sockman, but you fail the test of understanding nuance and the reality of different sets of circumstances.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:29:26 PM

8. Thank you Klien. You get it. My experiences were not as bad as yours, but bad enough that I can't stand that word, or the "Q" word. I am angry at that part of the community that has embraced this word on behalf of all of us, when many disagree that it should ever be used. No slur should ever become acceptable to use.

Posted by: NullNaught | Apr 15, 2013 12:33:19 PM

9. Null, why does my use of the word Queer to describe myself bother you? i don't call you Queer, i Self-Identify as Queer. And Gay.

some of you, like the bigots, only use queer as a pejorative.

what does Queer mean? from a different point of view, atypical, unique, different from the norm. those aren't bad things.

i haven't embraced on behalf of anyone other than those of us who choose to SELF-IDENTIFY as queer.

i'm puzzled as to how you guys are insisting it's a "slur" - does this simply mean that the word "queer" was used as a slur against you?

because here's the problem with that - the word "GAY" was used against me as a kid. GAY was what i was called when i was shoved on the playground, and attacked on my walks home from school. does that mean we should all stop using gay because I should remain offended by it because it was once used as a negative word toward me?

Queer is not a slur unless you want it to be. I won't call you queer, because you don't see yourselves that way, but many of us are indeed empowered by self-identifying as such.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:38:45 PM

10. @Sockman/sockpuppet (you trolls aren't even good at what you do)

NO. WE don't use dyke/fg/fggot....YOU do. But your brand of gay is a miserable, self hating, lonesome brand of gay who's not yet comfortable in his own sexuality so get off on using crude, classless slurs to feel worthy. Don't ever speak for me, us, or the entire community based on your shortcomings fool.

Posted by: Dillord | Apr 15, 2013 12:41:56 PM

11. Again, to those of you who say we all use d-ke, f-g, c-nt, tr-nny. Who are you all? who raised you? who are you hanging out with?
    I have more friends than I know what to do with. No, we don't use those words or call others those words. Not because we're morally superior but because it takes such little effort being a decent human being after the age of like twelve. Try it.

Posted by: IonMusic | Apr 15, 2013 12:44:27 PM

12. I know of some gay/bi men who use f*g or queer in a JESTING way. Which I'm not a huge fan of, because these same guys would never use it as a slur and I know would take major offense if anyone ever did, but I don't know any, and I mean any, and I've met more than a handful of fellow homosexual males, who use these words as a means to insult someone. If you associate with people who do then you don't associate with good people. And if you use them yourself then you're not representing yourself or the community well at all.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 15, 2013 12:49:40 PM

13. Look the gays I've met who use the word f*ggot and think it's cute and edgy to be around their straight friends using f*ggot, are some of the sketchiest gay people I've ever known. No joke. Just real schmucks. Like just not good people. Something about these types of gays is just not happy. And the more you interact with them, the more you see why.
    They really, reallyyyy want to be seen as one of the cool crowd kids, sitting at the popular table. It's not uncommon for same said type of gays to frequently use the phrase "that's so gay!" with their straight friends. It's a subliminal way of telling their straight friends, who's acceptance they are desperately trying to seek, that they aren't one of those 'other types of gays' that they are a less threatening type of gay.

We all knew the gay people who were bystandards as other gays got bullied and beat up and they just watched.

Those types of gays grew up to now think fggot and "eww that's so gay" make them more cool with their straight bros.

Again, I tend to keep my distance from these types of gay people. From my experience, they're not to be trusted and would sell you down the river in a hot second to be distant from -gay-

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 15, 2013 12:53:18 PM

14. Kyle for the win.

Nailed it dude.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Apr 15, 2013 12:55:29 PM

15. had he said "f***ing gay" it wouldn't have been *that* different.

it's not just about the use of f@ggot - it's the hurling of it, invectively.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:57:05 PM

16. @ Kyle
    Thanks for the very frank and very real response. I'd say from my experiences, I'd agree with every word you just wrote and have met a number of characters exactly as you described. I know them all too well, and think one or two of that type visit and post here. You just gotta recognize those types in our community and keep your distance for your own sanity.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Apr 15, 2013 12:57:19 PM

17. rock ON kyle.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 12:58:13 PM

18. The whole "we give words the power they have" is such a bull argument and completely overlooks the point of seeking to eliminate slurs like this. A kid watching their favorite athlete scream f0ggot at another man isn't going to understand that concept. He's just going to think that action is excusable. We're trying to foster a society where respect and compassion are valued. You're not. That's you're right, but don't go fooling yourself believing you're a more noble being because you and your friends call each other "c0nt, f0ggot, n0ggers" ....you're just reckless. Not everyone has to adopt a page out of that book. And thank Goodness they don't.

Posted by: Markey MARK | Apr 15, 2013 1:31:40 PM

19. no apology accepted. once you say the words they are there forever...............

Posted by: mike/ | Apr 15, 2013 9:12:39 AM

FU if you have no forgiveness then you get none from me.

I decided long ago to remove both the N and the F word from my vocabulary and it will be an ongoing battle there may well be years before I mouth either word,but to judge me on a slip of tongue get over your self.

Posted by: doug105 | Apr 15, 2013 1:33:11 PM

20. I hate the word. Absolutely despise it, and if a friend around me says it (fortunately, none ever have) I'd instantly educate them in a casual and quick way asking them not to repeat it.

Posted by: Neemno | Apr 15, 2013 2:08:40 PM

21. @doug

It is good that you say you're trying to stop using the words. The attitude, however, that you're some mind of victim and deserve to be praised for not spewing bigoted slurs is positively clueless.

Posted by: Skep | Apr 15, 2013 2:10:16 PM

22. Respect to Will Johnson here, despite being on my team's main rival. Perfect response, showing him the length of his coming suspension.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 15, 2013 4:05:08 PM

23. I would like to address the crazies, can we try having a more adult shouting match? Attributing things to people is pathetic. usually someone will always say something you can bash, so just bash that thing! You will always be able to invent and embellish things on the end, but save that for face to face conversations, where your tone can come through.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 15, 2013 5:22:32 PM

24. @fenrox - i can truthfully say that i don't ever remember saying any of those words nor the n* word for reasons as @unruly says AND because i grew up with parents who never used words like that!

oh, from also growing up with a developmentally disabled sister, having friends like Chilli Pepper & Leslie Rejeanne, and working for many years in inner city schools with large African-American & Latino populations. you see, there is an excuse for ignorance (you just don't know); there are no excuses for stupidity (knowing better) nor idiocy. a 10-year old i taught came up with this definition of idiot - "someone too stupid to know they are ignorant."

"Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it." -- George Santayana. move along.

Posted by: mike/ | Apr 15, 2013 5:45:42 PM

25. I'm not a gay apologist or trying to get approval from my "straight bros." I got called this name constantly from ages 11-16. I didn't care because the people saying it were idiots and I would throw them against lockers if they did it too often. I also called them f*cking retards, which I would never do today. But is that much different?

My friend calls me it as a joke, then kisses me in front of his wife. If someone said it in a rage of fury, sure I'd be angry. And there would probably be a confrontation. But I don't see it being all too much worse than lesbo, and plenty of people have reapproiated queer. My friend is laughing when he says it. I'm a writer and speak 7 languages, so I understand the power of words. I also understand that sometimes you have to let things go. He did something stupid. He apologized. He's a sports player. I wouldn't expect the world from him.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 15, 2013 5:46:44 PM