Basketball | Brittney Griner | I'm Gay | News | WNBA

WNBA Top Draft Pick Brittney Griner Comes Out as Gay: VIDEO

Brittney Griner, the  three-time All-America centre at Baylor who was the top pick in Monday's WNBA draft and is now headed to play for the Phoenix Mercury spoke about her sexuality for the first time in an interview Wednesday with SI.com.

GrinerSaid Griner when asked by SI host Maggie Gray why there's a difference between acceptance of gays in men's versus women's sports:

"I really couldn't give an answer on why that's so different. Being one that's out, it's just being who you are. Again, like I said, just be who you are. Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something, but, if you're just true to yourself, let that shine through. Don't hide who you really are."

Gray asks how difficult it was for her to come out:

"It really wasn't too difficult, I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way."

Watch the full interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Notice how poorly David Hearne imitates Little Kiwi, but how spot on Little Kiwi is when he imitates David Hearne. Quite pathetic. But alas that's really the only card Hearne has to play. It's not like he can contribute anything meaningful to the conversation.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 18, 2013 5:07:58 PM

2. @ MateoM,

I agree. What Little Kiwi does with the parodies of Rick and Hearne is ridicule their right-wing, racist, misogynist views. You can't reason with them and so all you have left is to make fun.

Also, Rick and Hearne's views are so f.cking cruel--they don't deserve serious thought, respect or courtesy.

And you're right: when Hearne (or Rick) tries to parody Kiwi it simply doesn't work. Tne wit is not there.

Somebody tried to do me today. They actually came across as kind of maudlin or sad. Uh oh...well, that aint too far from the truth, I guess. But they weren't funny. Little Kiwi's parodies are hilarious.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 18, 2013 5:22:46 PM

3. The reason more women come out than men is because women get preferential treatment from liberals. Liberalism is about allowing women to.get away with things that men can't.

Women exploit this double standard.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 18, 2013 5:31:53 PM

4. Oh yeah, I forgot Adam is also another alias of Rick/Jason/Ratbastard/David Hearne.

Notice that Adam uses this same anti liberal, anti woman talking points word-for-word from other posts by those other aliases.

PATHETIC.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 18, 2013 6:07:02 PM

5. She will never be invited back to Baylor for anything....unless she gives them a lot of money. They are probably already erasing her image from promotional materials.

Posted by: William | Apr 18, 2013 8:36:44 PM

6. The difference is that society still views gay men as being effeminate (whether they are or not) and lesbians as being masculine And its frowned upon to want to act like the "lesser" sex (females) as gay men supposedly want to do whereas lesbians can be admired for taking on masculine traits.

When I was in high school, all the female athletes who were super tough and athletic (and lesbians) were considered rock stars. The femmy gay boys who were in drama were relentlessly picked on. That's the difference.

Posted by: tiko | Apr 19, 2013 12:11:45 AM