Barack Obama | Gabrielle Giffords | Guns | News

Obama, Gabby Giffords Speak Out After Shameful Senate Inaction on Gun Control Legislation: VIDEO

Gun_obama

Didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, but here's Obama's address in the Rose Garden after the shameful failure to pass gun control measures in the Senate.

Also, read Gabby Giffords powerful, angry piece in the NYT:

Some of the senators who voted against the background-check amendments have met with grieving parents whose children were murdered at Sandy Hook, in Newtown. Some of the senators who voted no have also looked into my eyes as I talked about my experience being shot in the head at point-blank range in suburban Tucson two years ago, and expressed sympathy for the 18 other people shot besides me, 6 of whom died. These senators have heard from their constituents — who polls show overwhelmingly favored expanding background checks. And still these senators decided to do nothing. Shame on them.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. they've not multiplied, Eric. but they're doing what trolls do best - creating sockpuppets to make it seem as if they have actual numbers.

those that can't tell the truth about themselves waste a lot of time telling lies about others.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 2:04:32 PM

2. So said Kiwi who posts under every name on the board. Childish POS.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 3:34:04 PM

3. Common sense, logic - out the door.

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 18, 2013 3:35:07 PM

4. Andrew - What part about the Second Amendment being part of the Bill Of Rights do you not understand? Your idea of common sense or logic is utterly irrelevant. It's part of our Constitution. If you want to change that, you have to repeal the Second Amendment. You can't pass a federal law which infringes on the right to keep and bear arms and have it survive the Supreme Court. So why bother other than to pretend to be doing something?

Grow up. Newtown happened because a crazy person attacked a school, not because millions of Americans have pistols and rifles.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 3:51:40 PM

5. Hearne, don't project sugarpie. it's not my fault you're a coward who can only make your boastful claims from a place of anonymity.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 3:52:12 PM

6. Is there some NRA registry where we can find David Hearne's name? Perhaps then we could finally put a cowardly trollish face to the name that has for so long blighted the comments section on this blog.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 4:11:47 PM

7. Funny, we "trample all over" the 5th/14th amendments in re: human and civil rights, and that's fine with the right-wing, but we even *think* of doing that would evolve the 1st/2nd amendments and NOW they throw a wobbler-fit?

Am I missing something here, or is the derp REALLY strong? >_<

Posted by: Cody | Apr 18, 2013 4:54:27 PM

8. Gods, I just noticed...my grammar left something to be desired in that last comment...

I hope the sentiment got through, though -_-
    *Derp falls back on my head*

Posted by: Cody | Apr 18, 2013 8:23:46 PM

9. 82% of us do not have an office on K Street nor near enough money to obtain a Senator's attention (or a House member's for that matter). Our elected officials only work for the wealthy and to combat that we must muster the votes necessary to get rid of whomever represents you (especially if they are repug)and voted nay. While we're at it we should get rid of filibuster anything and return to 50+1 voting.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Apr 19, 2013 8:15:57 AM

10. I don't want to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

I just want to make sure that only guns which were available to purchse 200 years ago can be legally bought nowawdays.

That's perfectly reasonable.

If that's not possible then clearly background checks; police checks etc are required before you can buy a gun.

The 2nd Amendment really is a piece of crap.

Tour 'right' to own a gun does not trump my right to be protected from guns.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 19, 2013 10:59:27 AM