Gay Marriage | Jeremy Irons | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jeremy Irons Worries That Giving Gays Marriage Might 'Debase' It, Says Father and Son Might Marry: VIDEO

Iron

Actor Jeremy Irons has concerns about same-sex marriage, he tells HuffPost Live:

"Could a father not marry his son?" Irons asked HuffPost Live host Josh Zepps. Irons argued that "it's not incest between men" because "incest is there to protect us from inbreeding, but men don't breed," and wondered whether same-sex marriage might allow fathers to pass on their estates to their sons without being taxed.

"It seems to me that now they're fighting for the name," Irons said of advocates for same-sex marriage as opposed to civil unions. "I worry that it means somehow we debase, or we change, what marriage is. I just worry about that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Irons added that he wishes "everybody who's living with one other person the best of luck in the world."

Comments

1. I thought he was smart. I guess not.

Posted by: Red | Apr 3, 2013 7:56:32 PM

2. Get a f*cking job, Jeremy.

Posted by: Francine | Apr 3, 2013 7:59:32 PM

3. Everything you need to know is in this sentence: "It seems to me that now they're fighting for the name."

People who wish me well and want equal rights for me do not refer to me is "they."

Posted by: Joe Bua | Apr 3, 2013 8:03:59 PM

4. why would he not just deflect it or say he's not for the idea? but comparing it to what he compared equal rights to is the kind of tactic I'd expect from National Organization for Marriage. Heck, I don't even think THEY make such sweeping insulting comparisons of same sex marriage to the term being redefined for father's marrying their son? WTF?! No really, WTF?!

Posted by: Keol | Apr 3, 2013 8:13:35 PM

5. "they"???

So appalling.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Apr 3, 2013 8:14:10 PM

6. Don't a lot of gay men have daddy fantasies?

Posted by: Adam | Apr 3, 2013 8:16:02 PM

7. Will someone try avoiding inheritance tax by marrying their same-sex child? Sure. Will it hold up in court? Not bloody likely.

Things will sort themselves out.

Jeremy Irons... go worry about something worthwhile, and in the mean time save us all a bunch of bother and STFU and stick to reading scripts written by better educated people.

Posted by: jexer | Apr 3, 2013 8:18:22 PM

8. I blame this on the gay people around him not taking the time to engage the dialogue of same sex rights casually in conversation at some point in their friendship with him. That's what all of us need to do, otherwise, people won't grow and sadly, the only voice they'll have in their head about gays is that of the Catholic church. We don't want conservatives to be leading the narrative of this conversation of our rights. We need to take control of opening the dialogue and having this conversation with every heterosexual who we're close to in our life. Not just expecting that because they know us, they are understanding of our communities struggles and concerns.

Surely this man who's done theatre, and Broadway and been involved with Hollywood his whole life has some gay people around him (right?)

Posted by: David Kuraro | Apr 3, 2013 8:20:54 PM

9. Jeremy raises the valid point about changing the meaning of words. We have a track record of doing this. Look what we did to the word 'gay'.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 3, 2013 8:22:43 PM

10. He's just scared because he is an obvious result of inbreeding......that or his brains got scrambled all on its own.

Posted by: ToThePoint | Apr 3, 2013 8:27:08 PM

11. This does not surprise me. He's a wealthy, spoiled actor who has never done a real days work in his life. He is from a wealthy family which I assume is a right wing one. He has never lived in the real world. He is like Mitt Romney - they live in a rich man's bubble that doesn't relate to real life at all and they don't care about anyone but themselves.

Plus I never thought he was a good actor anyway....

Posted by: Icebloo | Apr 3, 2013 8:30:27 PM

12. @woodroad34 - I believe his argument would be that two men could breed (and have inbred children) the way a mother and a son could. Of course, if the mother is post-menopausal, the argument would be the same.

There are clear, compelling reasons why we would prohibit incest when pregnancy could occur. And there are many reasons why we could prohibit the same incestuous marriages even when pregnancy could not occur -- such as the potential power dynamics involved and the equal protection arguments that if we ban incestuous marriages between fathers and daughters, we should also treat their sons equally under the law and ban that, too.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Apr 3, 2013 8:31:47 PM

13. He just committed career suicide.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Apr 3, 2013 8:32:36 PM

14. OMG. I am speechless.... the last thing I expected to see when I clicked on Towleroad was a news item about Jeremy Irons and marriage equality- except also watching him raise ridiculous questions like it's the first time he's heard of gay people.

I agree with whomever earlier stated that the marriage equality movement in the UK is having to make a more narrow case, as civil partnerships have every right as marriages, unlike some civil unions in the US which do not. And the fact that only a few states have civil unions, which don't always have as many rights as marriage does, makes the fight definitely different.

That said, wow. I have- or had- huge respect for Jeremy Irons... he's a great actor, and probably still is. GLAAD needs to get on this sh*t and do their job good... maybe reaching out and giving him a quick crash course on what its like being gay and dealing with hate and not being treated equally.

I'm as they say, gobsmacked. Last person I thought would bother to have an opinion or thought on the issue, much less actually bring up bullsh*tty concerns over allowing gay people to marry.

Posted by: scott | Apr 3, 2013 8:36:52 PM

15. Someone has been reading way too many Josman cartoons.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 3, 2013 8:37:32 PM

16. Kudos to Jeremy for "questioning" No one dare have questions. You people amount to nothing but an angry mob mentality. You'll find out what's wrong with gay marriage on your own -- but it will be too late.

Posted by: FU | Apr 3, 2013 8:42:27 PM

17. It's hard to imagine an educated mind going to places like that. It leads me to believe that some form mental illness is at work here. Maybe Teabaggers disease. It's epidemic.
    Nothing else could explain these comments. I'll have to incinerate my DVD of "Being Julia". Annette Bening must be having a serious moment right about now. How can I look at this man again and not think...wingnut!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 3, 2013 8:43:55 PM

18. You're all fools and lemmings. It's amusing to witness.

Posted by: FU | Apr 3, 2013 8:44:29 PM

19. Maybe there was a bit of scotch in that coffee cup.

Posted by: LJC | Apr 3, 2013 8:45:41 PM

20. Wingnut? Your language has scat on it's breath.

Posted by: Tim | Apr 3, 2013 8:47:41 PM

21. F U... STFU!

Stupid theocrat.

Posted by: Polyboy | Apr 3, 2013 8:50:58 PM

22. What an IDIOT.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 3, 2013 8:53:49 PM

23. Yep, he's an idiot but seriously, for those of us Gay dads - this isn't such a bad idea. I never thought of it.

Posted by: Mamboboy | Apr 3, 2013 8:58:00 PM

24. He is over-thinking it. Keep it simple, because it is. KISS. Will I still watch The Borgias?

Posted by: Tim | Apr 3, 2013 8:59:55 PM

25. Being a well known actor does not mean one is intelligent. It just means you can memorize your lines and repeat them in front of a camera. Nothing more.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Apr 3, 2013 9:03:36 PM