Gay Marriage | Jeremy Irons | News

Jeremy Irons Reacts to Outrage: I'm Not 'Anti-Gay' But I'm Still Concerned About Father-Son Marriage

Jeremy Irons has posted a letter in response to public outrage over his recent chat with the HuffPost in which he said he was worried that giving gays marriage might "debase" the institution and expressed concerns that a father might marry his son".

IronWrites Irons in a letter posted to JeremyIrons.net:

I am deeply concerned that from my on line discussion with the Huffington Post, it has been understood that I hold a position that is anti gay. This is as far from the truth of me as to say that I believe the earth is flat.

I was taking part in a short discussion around the practical meaning of Marriage, and how that institution might be altered by it becoming available to same-sex partners. Perhaps rather too flippantly I flew the kite of an example of the legal quagmire that might occur if same sex marriage entered the statute books, by raising the possibility of future marriage between same sex family members for tax reasons, (incest being illegal primarily in order to prevent inbreeding, and therefore an irrelevance in non reproductive relationships). Clearly this was a mischievous argument, but nonetheless valid.

I am clearly aware that many gay relationships are more long term, responsible and even healthier in their role of raising children, than their hetero equivalents, and that love often creates the desire to mark itself in a formal way, as Marriage would do. Clearly society should find a way of doing this.

I had hoped that even on such a subject as this, where passions run high, the internet was a forum where ideas could be freely discussed without descending into name-calling. I believe that is what it could be, but it depends on all of us behaving, even behind our aliases, in a humane, intelligent and open way.

I've reposted the HuffPost Live interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think he needs professional help. Very sad.

Posted by: Geoff | Apr 6, 2013 11:01:28 AM

2. Never heard of him

Posted by: Will | Apr 6, 2013 11:06:38 AM

3. So sorry to hear about Iron's dementia. I hope someday we find a cure for Alzheimer's.

Posted by: Kip | Apr 6, 2013 11:08:02 AM

4. And he's still an idiot. Straight men can't marry their daughters, nor mother's their sons. Brothers can't marry their sisters, or vice versa. Allowing gays to get married doesn't somehow negate laws against incest.

Posted by: LiamB | Apr 6, 2013 11:09:10 AM

5. A father son relationship is criminal. It is incest and has nothing to do about to prevent inbreeding! After his mind to think about it- is that he seems to think that a father ,son relationship is fine ( but not a father,daughter - both is just sick, incest and criminal), since there is NO risk that there will be children of the relationship.

Hi is crazy, crazy!!!

Posted by: nn | Apr 6, 2013 11:12:53 AM

6. "I had hoped...the internet was a forum where ideas could be freely discussed without descending into name-calling."

Be nice. The man is afflicted with nincompoopery.

Posted by: SC David | Apr 6, 2013 11:14:46 AM

7. He's acting as if there is a requirement for procreation in order for incest to be illegal.

But also he isn't arguing about incest - he's arguing about an icky plan to cheat around estate taxes.

Still a pretty wackadoo argument, but not that much wackier or offensive than those worried about a slew of "Chuck and Larry" marriages to cheat corporations by stealing benefits.

Posted by: fanboi | Apr 6, 2013 11:15:26 AM

8. How in the world is that valid? Where are these nutjobs getting these arguments from?! There are like 11 countries that have marriage equality and I don't know of any of those 11 that later ended up allowing incest marriages. It's like people forget that the United States isn't the only country in the world. If you are curious about what happens after marriage equality is made legal just look at our neighbors.

Posted by: Derrick | Apr 6, 2013 11:16:04 AM

9. I am sure that if a father marrying his son was a practical possibility it would have been tried at some point in history by the British monarchy.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Apr 6, 2013 11:16:21 AM

10. Isn't he a method actor? Maybe he came to the interview in character. After all, he plays a pope on the Borgias. So it would be natural for him to appear in public as a self-righteous ass. Or maybe it's much simpler than that and he IS a self-righteous ass.

Posted by: HalWLanse | Apr 6, 2013 11:16:28 AM

11. I think he wants to have sex with his son.

Posted by: beed | Apr 6, 2013 11:18:41 AM

12. is he concerned about father-daughter marriages?

Posted by: luke | Apr 6, 2013 11:19:17 AM

13. is he concerned about father-daughter marriages?

Posted by: luke | Apr 6, 2013 11:19:19 AM

14. Considering Mr Iron's first diatribe and the second measured response I would pose that the latter was inspired by his publicist/lawyer/agent to revive his sagging career

Posted by: lock | Apr 6, 2013 11:20:48 AM

15. And to think he was featured in Brideshead Revisited.

The stilted language of his posted letter betrays a lack of education.

Combine lack of education with lack of innate intelligence and you get pronouncements like this.

In other words, he's just stupid, even though he seems all sophisticated and British when he acts.

Btw, I think he was miscast in the Borgias.

Posted by: Fahd | Apr 6, 2013 11:24:12 AM

16. I think, in fact, what Irons is, is late to the party. We've had these discussions before, and have been attacked by NOM and their ilk on precisely these grounds: marriage between two men or two women will lead to incest. We know it's ridiculous, but Irons doesn't because he's been living with his head in the sand. If incest is what you're concerned about, then incest is what you should outlaw, rather than outlawing all the good things that might possibly somehow someday lead to it. At this stage of the game, people who don't see that are either clueless, as I suspect is the case with Irons, or bigots trying to costume their intolerance in the garb of civic concern. I give Irons the benefit of the doubt by assuming that he's somehow been sheltered from the maelstrom of debate that's been going on all around him.

Posted by: Keppler | Apr 6, 2013 11:24:36 AM

17. Wow... my genuine reaction to his flippant fun at the extension of my discrimination has resulted in name calling?

Why that's as disproportionate as some privileged idiot not understanding his idiocy in the first place.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Apr 6, 2013 11:25:26 AM

18. Actors really should not open their mouths unless they have memorized their scripts.

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 6, 2013 11:25:40 AM

19. Have you all read his other interview about incest and pedophilia:

"It is very difficult because children under 16 are immensely attractive,"

"I remember when my son was 12 and he was like a god. He just went through that sort of golden time for about 18 months. I don't have a daughter but they do the same"

"Parental love is sexual. Children practice on their parents. Girls will flirt outrageously with their fathers because they are practicing. But we should know that that is practice. Boys will flirt outrageously with their mothers in a different way."

The man is literally obsessed with the idea of incest, and more specifically with his son.

Something is not right. I hope nothing every happened to Max Irons, his father seems like a creep.

Posted by: Devonasa | Apr 6, 2013 11:38:01 AM

20. OMG Jeremy, stop talking already ... do yourself a favor and shut it !

Posted by: mark | Apr 6, 2013 11:40:21 AM

21. It was the "debased" comment that pissed me off more. How can you use that word in relation to gay relationships if you are so pro-gay? And how do you expect that "idea" to be freely discussed without blow-back?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 6, 2013 11:40:22 AM

22. Anyone else find THIS new statement even worse?

Posted by: Julio | Apr 6, 2013 11:44:34 AM

23. Well, Jeremy, I'm concerned about you sounding like a self righteous blowhard with his head stuck up his ass. Just shut up while you can.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 6, 2013 11:44:41 AM

24. What is wrong with this man? Is he this detached from reality and humanity to be making these comments about gay rights?

Posted by: LEE | Apr 6, 2013 11:45:13 AM

25. I find this new clarification even more insulting than the original comments. This guy needs to go away and take his narrow and perverse mind with him.

Posted by: Jessica | Apr 6, 2013 11:45:49 AM