Gay Marriage | News | Republican Party | William Kristol

Bill Kristol Says GOP Members Will 'Earn Contempt' From Base for Joining 'Pathetic' Rush to Support Gay Equality: AUDIO

Conservative pundit Bill Kristol thinks the decision to get on the marriage equality train by some members of his party will "earn the contempt" of the GOP base and finds interest in what young people think about it "pathetic," Mediaite reports:

KristolNoting that the Republican “establishment” (not including himself, of course) looks like a herd “running to catch up with the trends” because “some polls show [same-sex marriage] is now 58% popular and five years ago it was only 43% popular” (yes, that’s called an upward trend), Kristol lamented how some of the party’s leaders believe it necessary to take on the “fashionable” position of being okay with gay marriage.

“Not only will those earn the contempt of people who believe in defending traditional marriage,” he said, but they won’t even get credit for hopping onto the bandwagon.

“This kind of pathetic attempt to say, ‘Oh, my God! Young people especially are liberal so let’s just rush to cater to them,’ as if they’re going to respect you if you just embrace the views of some 26-year-old who doesn’t know anything honestly.”

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Putting the "con" in "neocon" for the last 30 years. His father was at least genuinely smart.

Posted by: anon | Apr 1, 2013 2:42:52 PM

2. Well OF COURSE some people will feel "alienated" by any moves by GOP attempts to adopt marriage equality!

We have a "2 party system" right now and the Religious Right are a huge part of the Republican base. And so far as that portion keeps controlling the entire Republican platform they're going to alienate people. "Well the BIBLE says...."

If you trust any sort of Republican "turnaround" you're a f*cking fool. Either they're too afraid to lose the Religious Right or they ARE the Religious Right, so don't expect them to change any time soon. The good news is that if they talk about us as subhuman, as the old-school is wont to do, they have to answer for it.

But if you think that means ANY of them are safe votes you're sadly mistaken. They'd sell you down the river to get votes in a NY minute. Don't be fooled.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 1, 2013 3:08:13 PM

3. I think somebody needs to move back to Israel...

Posted by: Dan Cobbb | Apr 1, 2013 4:20:29 PM

4. We can only hope that more Republicans keep talking like that, so that the democrats can have a chance of holding on to a majority in the U.S. Senate in 2014. It isn't going to be easy to hold the Senate. We need all the help we can get from guys like Kristol.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 1, 2013 4:28:45 PM

5. Refreshing.

Posted by: Tim | Apr 1, 2013 4:36:05 PM

6. At this rate it won't be long before fiscal Republicans really distance themselves from the tea-bagging bible-thumping cousins.

I've actually seen the change on their face when looking at marriage equality when they see the financial unfairness of DOMA.

Hopefully far enough that the party will actually split in two. I think the faithfully ignorant may have a hard time winning as many elections without "old money."

Posted by: fanboi | Apr 1, 2013 5:14:14 PM

7. wow!!! he sounds so wise and smart.....ugh!!!!!!!! his hate and ignorance knows no boundaries...again, if anyone with with double digits and above IQ reads this garbage it makes not an iota of sense!!!!

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 1, 2013 7:25:06 PM

8. What an idiot! I'm 26 and I'm confident I've accomplished more than his peabrain did at my age. He disgusts me - as does a majority of the republican party.

Posted by: Reality | Apr 1, 2013 11:11:05 PM

9. How is changing your mind pathetic? I think it's pathetic to refuse to open your mind to the possibility that gay people deserve equal treatment under the law.

Posted by: Andy | Apr 2, 2013 12:36:29 AM

10. Is it polite to cheer as their heads explode? Oh, who gives a crap if it's polite or not...I can't wait for more bigots' heads to explode! This is so much fun!

Posted by: millerbeach | Apr 2, 2013 3:15:21 AM

11. A 26-year old who doesn't know anything today, still has a chance to learn.

Bill Kristol's future is diapers and death.

Posted by: New Trix | Apr 2, 2013 7:30:05 AM

12. Wasn't Kristol a big supporter of Sarah Palin? Does that not say everything? Talk about rushing to jump on a bandwagon....

Posted by: Kristolnacht | Apr 2, 2013 7:42:57 AM

13. I know I am only 86, but I really do not recall the name "Bill Kristol". What is he famous (or infamous) for? I suppose he is a Republican pundit, but I stopped voting Republican around 1980 when I finally realized that they do not care about the working class.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Apr 2, 2013 5:52:14 PM