Football (American) | Louisiana | News

LSU Football Player Alfred Blue Apologizes for Saying Gays Can't Play Because They're Sissies

On Thursday, the Louisiana State University paper The Dailly Reveille published a story on gays in football and asked several of its players what they thought of having an openly gay teammate, making this note:

The topic of openly gay athletes in football is so taboo, the LSU Athletic Department would not allow players to be asked questions on the topic before they were properly prepped for the interview.

BlueWell, apparently they didn't prep running back Alfred Blue, who said this:

“Football is supposed to be this violent sport — this aggressive sport that grown men are supposed to play. Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines. So if you gay, we look at you as a sissy. You know? Like, how you going to say you can do what we do and you want a man?”

So late Friday an apology from Blue was forthcoming:

I understand that my comments may have sounded insensitive to those who read the Reveille article on Friday. I in no way meant to belittle any person’s way of life and feel that everyone deserves a chance to become whatever they want to be. One of my comments that was left out of Friday’s article shows this. I told the reporter that if any person can help to contribute to the team, then that is the bottom line.

I apologize if anyone was hurt by my comments and also to everyone that I may have let down.

Comments

1. The reason this guy associates being Gay with sissy or feminine man is because more than likely the only openly Gay men he knows are not masculine .The masculine or straight acting guys are acting like they are straight. He is young and ignorant.I just heard a similar comment from a neighbor of mine.He happens to be White but also young and ignorant.

Posted by: Kim | Apr 20, 2013 11:47:34 AM

2. "Rick, how ironic that you call men with a feminine demeanor cowardly.......They are the bravest souls we have in our community"

Blah, blah, blah.

Let me guess. When confronted physically by a straight man, you either a) run, b) cry, c) whimperingly ask him not to hurt you, d) try to find a woman to hide behind, or e) let him beat the crap out of you without even trying to defend myself and then complain about being "bullied". And you do this despite the fact that you are buff and in shape and are therefore perfectly capable of defending yourself.

Right.

But don't let anybody tell you you aren't a coward and are, instead, a "brave" soul.....and that you will be respected as such, despite your behavior.

Right.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2013 12:03:10 PM

3. As a combat veteran, what I find most laughable (I know, he presents a banquet of laughability from which to choose) is his mindset that football is too dangerous a sport for LGBTs. It is not combat, where many of our brothers and sisters have fought and died. It is not law enforcement, where many of our brothers and sisters have fallen in the line of duty. It is not firefighting, where many of our brothers and sisters have died for their communities. All three of those (military, LEO, firefighters) spend far more time in close and often undressed contact with other people than football players do.

Hell, it ain't even Bingham Cup rugby.

Posted by: John | Apr 20, 2013 12:06:03 PM

4. Yet another piece of $hit floats to the surface.

Have to agree with Chris - NFL is sissy-fied rugby.
    So this tool, Blue, needs to apologise for being a sissy and betraying his fellow sissies.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 20, 2013 12:08:21 PM

5. @ "Jerry Jones" - anyone who reads my blog knows I didn't write that. it was, drumroll please, one of the site's anonymous trolling cowards. possibly you.

you can write whatever racist bigoted crap you want under my name. a simple click to the blog link that the troll provided would make it pretty darn clear that fighting racism is one of my raison d'etre(s).

so hey, no skin off my back. keep it up troll, won't actually affect me. post whatever you like under my name. every time you link folks to my blog you show that you've gotta lie about me because you can't tell the truth about yourself.

but hey, for those with no lives or spines, i suppose trying to lash out at me is all you have to live for.

*elegant curtsy*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 12:26:37 PM

6. Ignorant thug.

Posted by: Dana | Apr 20, 2013 12:29:18 PM

7. "Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines"? "So if you gay..."?! How about he spends less time worrying about possible gay players & more time learning proper English, so he doesn't sound like less of a Cro-Magnon moron and his better prepared for the likelihood that after LSU, he'll need a regular job outside the NFL, like the overwhelming number of former NCAA college football players?

Posted by: Joe | Apr 20, 2013 12:31:23 PM

8. apologies are funny things. it's like when a bigot makes some comment about "F@ggots are disgusting and should be killed" and then *apologizes* by saying "I'm sorry for my use of the word f@ggot."

as for RICK, HA! folks, don't engage him in dicussion - ask him instead to verify that he's UltraMan as he claims to be. will he provide proof of his empowered gay masculinity? no. why? because cowards can't, and won't.

so rest easy. it's hatred in a vacuum.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 12:32:39 PM

9. @Joel - "discrete" makes me laugh out loud.

oh words. wrong wrong words.

"masc discrete str8acting, chill, laid back, no drama, down to earth"

yeah. you show me a chill laid-back closet-case and i'll show you a unicorn. they're the most uptight, insecure, nervous folks on the planet.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 12:38:19 PM

10. Sorry butch, but my gaydar is going a mile a minute.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Apr 20, 2013 1:23:16 PM

11. "I apologize for being called out as a jackass."

Yeah, apology not accepted. Ridiculous.

Posted by: Mike B. | Apr 20, 2013 2:16:36 PM

12. Well, Rick, you know nothing about me, but you paint yourself quite well with all the hatred you spew. I could care less what you think of me. Oh well, I shouldn't have fed you...Little Kiwi is right. You will die a lonely, self-loathing, bitter little queen, irrespective of your masculinity or lack thereof.

Posted by: Travis | Apr 20, 2013 2:32:36 PM

13. Travis - it's the trolls game. Try this, ask the "effeminacy haters" to put a face to their comments, to show that they're Living the Gay Example they demand from others.

They'll ignore you, and run away. Every time.

Which is why they're so upset - the "fems" they've learned to loathe are, to use their own language, more Man than they'll ever be. They're Out, they're Proud, they're unafraid of what bigots think.

if the effeminacy-hates believed a word they type on here, every day, they'd be putting a bold face and name to their words - to live as examples. But they don't, because they can't.

and they never will.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 2:38:21 PM

14. "May have," "if any person," "may have" AGAIN?!?

This person has not apologized, he's insulted us again. If LSU wants to demonstrate its tolerance, they'll bench his ass for at least a full game and until he apologizes again, this time for real. I'm only that lenient because he's clearly a dumb teenager/early 20 something and can hopefully learn from this - if disciplined, so he's shown the consequences to homophobia.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 20, 2013 3:00:10 PM

15. I agree with Rick. It's because of feminine queens, the coming out is so hard for ordinary gay guys. The queens are fighting for their queen rights and not same-sex oriented people. I actually think they're not even gay. What gay man would want to be a woman? Isn't woman the most turn-off for a gay man?

Posted by: litper | Apr 20, 2013 3:01:47 PM

16. then you "ordinary gay guys" should have freakin' come out first, wimp.

don't be upset that the people you've been conditioned to hate have more strength and confidence than you do.

you can't sit there at your computer like a total coward and be upset that other gay men aren't as scared of Straight People as you are.

learn something from the "feminine queens" that you hate - learn how to live without fear. it's not their fault they're stronger than you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 3:04:59 PM

17. Right ON, Kiwi!

Posted by: redball | Apr 20, 2013 3:25:20 PM

18. When ordinary gay guys become visible u instantly start bashing them as homophobic (apparently because they're... uhm... gay - they don't like pussy and don't want to have one unlike queens)

Posted by: litper | Apr 20, 2013 3:32:44 PM

19. Rick: So instead of educate people to respect each other with all their differences, your brilliant answer is to ask effeminate gays to change their natural ways to fit in a very tired mold.
    No thanks.

I'm not effeminate, and i'm not attracted to effeminate guys, but everyone has the right to be who they are, and frankly, the obsession with masculinity of american guys is utterly ridiculous.

By the way, the Stonewall movement started thanks to a bunch of drag queens, so i wouldn't say being effeminate equates to be a coward in any way

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 20, 2013 3:36:25 PM

20. So, somehow, between Thursday and Friday he obtained a basic grasp of grammar.

Sorry but I'll take the educated sissy tag any day over the dumb ass n.....

Posted by: matt | Apr 20, 2013 3:37:35 PM

21. Sissies just say every masculine straight guy is secretly gay..that's all....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Apr 20, 2013 3:39:00 PM

22. i don't know any "ordinary gay guys" who harbour any form of disdain for "fems" or "queens" - only insecure wimps who are scared of straight people hate on "fems" and "queens"

real men don't give a whit what someone else thinks.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 3:43:41 PM

23. "Rick: So instead of educate people to respect each other with all their differences, your brilliant answer is to ask effeminate gays to change their natural ways to fit in a very tired mold"

More fodder, more lies. There is nothing natural about effeminacy in men. If there were, you would see some straight guys referring to other men as "Honey" or "Girl", too, wouldn't you?

But you don't.

No, you only see some (not all) gay men doing it, which tells you that it is all affected, UN-natural behavior that comes from having internalized the idea that male homosexuality equates to lack of masculinity.

Effeminate gay men are nothing but psychologically-damaged people with extremely low self-esteem......the most telling evidence of which is that they WORSHIP and lust after the most masculine men, seeking confirmation of their own inferiority by doing so. Nothing titillates them sexually more than being debased.

And no amount of attempts to "educate" anybody are going to change that truth, any more than such attempts will ever result in straight men respecting cowardly men who have so little self-respect that they are willing to let other men push them around and humiliate them.

You are beating your head against a brick wall and the only result of that will be that you bloody that head even further.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2013 4:07:07 PM

24. prove you're the man you claim you are, coward :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 4:14:31 PM

25. my straight dad and straight friends march with me and my gay old buds every year in the pride parade every year.

do your friends and father march with you, Rick?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 20, 2013 4:15:48 PM