EJ Johnson III | I'm Gay | Magic Johnson | News | Sports

Magic Johnson Talks About His Gay Son for First Time in Powerful, Lengthy Interview: VIDEO

Johnson

Magic Johnson sat down with TMZ's Harvey Levin for a lengthy interview about his gay son EJ, who came out publicly earlier this week, and the importance of expressing to him that he supports and loves him no matter what. Johnson said he wanted to prepare him for what to expect when he came out and protect him as he did so.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Earvin_johnsonJohnson also talks about the hate EJ received on various blogs after coming out and homophobia in the Black community.

Said Johnson: "I think this is gonna be good for a lot of young Black people who want to come out. EJ is really gonna help a lot of young people."

Johnson also talks about what would happen if a gay player came out on the L.A. Dodgers.

"I would protect him. That's what I am. I'm a protector. I protect my family. That's why I was really upset about people attacking my son...First of all, as an owner you really got to support the person, and then help educate the public. We stand with this player. We're going to support this player."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Magic Johnson on talking to EJ about being gay for the first time:

On the hateful reactions to EJ on African-American blogs and how Magic feels about it:

On athletes coming out of the closet:

Comments

1. WOW, what an amazing man, the world need more Magic! GLAAD you need to give them some face time for next years awards. I hope he goes on Opera, Anderson, Thomas Roberts, Ellen to talk about this.

Posted by: dorishin | Apr 4, 2013 3:17:11 PM

2. People, do I need to point out that you are gushing over a parent for doing what every parent ought to do, and what millions of parents do with no applause? Have you ever heard a heterosexual say, "Thankfully, my parents accept my being straight." ? Well , have you?

PS- Kiwi, it was intended as a gift to you.

Posted by: Hagatha | Apr 4, 2013 4:07:15 PM

3. Class act

Posted by: MArk | Apr 4, 2013 4:17:58 PM

4. well...thats as touching as any dad could be for his son....ok, Im kinda verklempted! Great Dad!

Posted by: disgusted american | Apr 4, 2013 6:22:54 PM

5. Hagatha

Your logical fallacy is...

Posted by: elegir | Apr 4, 2013 7:03:36 PM

6. thats a good dad!

Posted by: Reality | Apr 4, 2013 9:22:48 PM

7. @Fuentes Oficiales: there are legitimate reasons for a little confusion. A previous Towleroad article indicated that Magic Johnson's son was 20 years old, while comments indicated that Mr. Johnson was diagnosed as HIV+ in 1991. That would suggest that he knew he as HIV+ when EJ was conceived, but other comments indicate that this was not the case and that his wife was already pregnant when the diagnosis was made.

The confusion is perhaps due to the date and age - Either EJ is a bit older than 20 or he is about to turn 21, with the timing such that subtracting 20 from the current date is misleading - it is closer to subtracting 21.

This confusion, of course, is independent of the idiocy of some regarding the cause of AIDS.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 4, 2013 10:12:40 PM

8. Magic and his family are beautiful people.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 4, 2013 10:31:10 PM

9. Magic and his family are beautiful people.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 4, 2013 10:31:11 PM

10. Magic Johnson is not only the coolest name, but he's also the coolest dad.

Posted by: bravo | Apr 4, 2013 11:05:38 PM

11. Kiwi, since when is emulating the love child of Divine and Madea "being yourself"?

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 4, 2013 11:58:31 PM

12. I think it is inappropriate to ask your 12 year old son the adult question, "Are you or aren't you?" Give the child a chance to mature and then come to you if need be.

Posted by: Jasper | Apr 5, 2013 1:33:33 AM

13. @DavidHearne

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity

Posted by: elegir | Apr 5, 2013 2:03:31 AM

14. FATHER OF THE YEAR!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 5, 2013 4:20:12 AM

15. Where did the videos go??? They seem to have vanished.

Posted by: trg | Apr 5, 2013 4:16:38 PM

16. Tip: To see the videos you may have to un-block web bugs temporarily.

The TMZ interview with Magic is everything people are saying. Serious love to Magic, Cookie, EJ, and family.

I am not effeminate and wouldn't dress or carry myself like EJ. But: TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE. EJ is who he is, and he's fabulous and wonderful and perfect exactly he is.

If Magic, and all of us, can spread that message, the world will be a better, and safer, place.

I remember when Magic's proclaiming of being very far away from homosexual was a (I hope) unintended applause trigger on "The Arsenio Hall Show" (although maybe they were applauding his candor about his randiness -- it's ambiguous). (That interview is on YouTube, if you can stand the whoot-whoot-whoot chanting of the audience at the beginning.) He's obviously extremely super-duper cool at this point.

Posted by: TR | Apr 5, 2013 5:08:05 PM

17. I pray for the conversion of his heart....crossing the line of faith and beginning a brand new relationship with the Creator of the universe....this blows away the "secular" world who does not understand that change is possible throug Christ Jesus.

Posted by: Bobbie D. | Apr 6, 2013 8:48:19 PM