Alec Mapa | Film | Gay Parents | Kickstarter | News

BigGayDeal.com

Alec Mapa Wants Help Bringing His Real-Life Gay Parenting Story to the Screen: VIDEO

Mapa

Comedian Alec Mapa (Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, Alias, Friends, Roseanne) is hoping to bring Baby Daddy, his one-man show about gay parenting, to the big screen.

"The documentary will include his stand-up special as well as behind-the-scenes looks at how Alec’s life has changed since he and his husband adopted a child through the foster care system," according to his Kickstarter campaign.

It's not the first time Mapa has been through the kickstarting system. Last year, he and his husband Jamison Hebert and their adopted son Zion starred in Family Restaurant a children's film for gay and lesbian parents, which is on the festival circuit now and was produced via Kickstarter funds.

Said Hebert: “Last year, we had such a great response to fundraising through Kickstarter for 'Family Restaurant.' We wanted to do something even more ambitious this year while continuing to spread the message of foster and adoption by gays and lesbians not only to our LGBT community, but also to the wider world. We know there are many people who want to support a film like this and its timely message.”

Watch their trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

And visit their Kickstarter here.

Comments

1. totes adorbs!

Posted by: Gary | Apr 29, 2013 10:44:15 AM

2. Absolutely sweet.

Posted by: edwin/elg | Apr 29, 2013 10:53:32 AM

3. ...a celebrity needs a kickstarter? Alec Mapa doesn't have $25,000 to fund his own project with? There's a part of me that just feels like he's cheap and wants to get the public to fund his own creative projects.

Posted by: steve | Apr 29, 2013 11:11:22 AM

4. @ steve...and there's a part of me that thinks you have an innate distrust of gay people, and use stories like this to reaffirm your own disdain and prejudice against the community. Might want to iron that out before getting preaching about the social volunteerism of other folks.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Apr 29, 2013 12:31:25 PM

5. I agree with Steve. Why can't Mapa finance this himself? True, he's a minor celebrity - but he certainly has enough of his own money to bankroll his various vanity projects, of which this clearly is.

If he were straight, I would say the same thing. And I feel the same about Zach Braff.

Of course, there's nothing to stop anyone from giving Mapa their hard-earned cash should they choose to do so, but I would caution those who think that it's "prejudice" if you don't. Just because a project is gay, doesn't automatically mean you're phobic by not handing money over to Mapa. It may mean you're smart.

Posted by: jj | Apr 29, 2013 1:43:15 PM

6. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 29, 2013 7:39:57 PM

7. Agree w/steve & jj. Why do they need our $$?

Posted by: Tom | Apr 29, 2013 8:01:18 PM

8. Fame seems to supercede family in this case. Mapa has been a struggling comedian for years. Everyone has a story. This one may be better told in one liners.

Posted by: Ed | Apr 29, 2013 10:34:04 PM

9. I realize my previous comment was very cynical - but that was my gut reaction. I do feel like I should be more supportive..etc...to my own credit, I love RuPaul's Drag Race, haha.

But, it appears I'm not the only one noticing this trend: http://www.laughspin.com/2013/04/29/kickstarter-abuse-why-are-you-giving-your-money-to-wealthy-celebrities/

Posted by: steve | Apr 29, 2013 10:37:00 PM

10. haha, I feel the need to apologize for my first comment here...I dunno...just feel kind of guilty. I'm sure their heart is in the right place...and I'm sure it will be an amazing film...not interested in being a internet troll.

Posted by: steve | Apr 29, 2013 10:56:30 PM