Chicago | Gay Marriage | Illinois | News

Marriage Equality Counter-Protest In Chicago

ChicagoAbout 200 hundred marriage equality supporters and same-sex marriage protesters participated in a counter-protest in Chicago yesterday. According to the WLS-TV, groups from both the Gay Liberation Network and the anti-gay Illinois Family Institute took part in the march.

The Chicago Phoenix reports about the tension in the crowd:

At one point, tempers flared when LGBT rights activists and an a pastor shouted in each other’s faces. “Your bigotry is killing young queer people,” an LGBT rights supporter yelled at the man. Rev. Luis Ruiz of the Christian Assembly Rios de Agua Viva near Midway on the city’s South Side, denied that he and other demonstrators were in favor of discrimination and decried accusations of bigotry. “We are in favor of [peoples' rights] as prescribed by God,” Ruiz said. “We are not against anyone’s rights. We are praying for the city … We all need prayer …

Watch a video of the protest, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. @ Al
    I feel you and it's why I hope more and more states legalize marriage equality before the 13 million illegal immigrants are granted citizenship. I say this from a practical stand point having lived and worked in predominantly Hispanic immigrant communities. Hard working folks, amazing cultures, but a strict machismo mentality coupled with strict Catholic upbringings makes for some pretty homophobic view points. People around me can't always tell I'm gay, and because I speak fluent Spanish, I get the unfiltered views on many Latino associates and acquaintances around me and it's often not pleasant at all. Marriage is a huge discomfort for them. So I view the path to citizenship for 13 million new illegal immigrants as a whole new uphill battle for gay rights. Which is very unfortunate it has to be that way, but you can thank the Catholic Church.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Apr 28, 2013 8:34:48 PM

2. If I were there and a reporter I'd straight up ask all them people protesting:

"Now tell me, what's your views on illegal immigration and amnesty?"

See how the tune changes and suddenly they all for "equal rights forimmigration"

and before anyone dares call me a racist, born and raised in Bayamon, Puerto Rico with Dominican Dad. I grew up with this bull hypocrisy all my life. Cousins having sex and pregnant out of wedlock didn't get jack heat for it by family. Yet I introduce the family to my boyfriend of 6 years and all my cousins and aunts say they don't want me to be around their kids anymore. Bull!

Posted by: JamMax | Apr 28, 2013 8:39:34 PM

3. Uhh I live in Rhode Island. 95% of our anti gay protests were organized by Latinos and attended IN MASS by Latinos. And they were some of the most intolerant people I have ever come across in that hall. They would yell profanity, laugh at us, curse, some threatened violence. And it has nothing to do with religion otherwise divorce and teen pregnancy wouldn't be a right of passage in said communities. It's machismo.

Posted by: Rhode Island Parent | Apr 28, 2013 8:44:03 PM

4. I mean we can be politically correct and not confront the cultural and national landscape of our growing Hispanic population in our nation, or we can get real about it. I choose to get real about it.

There's two realities here that don't need to intersect one another. One is that in a vast majority of anti-marriage equality and anti-gay rights protest, an overwhelming number of the crowd IS Latino. It's silly and ridiculous to demand people not notice that.

It's relevant to notice that fact, if not vital for our cause so we know what to do about it. Working here in Maryland, African American and Anglo churches were very willing to engage us in dialogue and listen to our concerns. As were many Asian/Korean Christian groups as well as Jewish. The biggest obstacle we faced were in the Latino evangelical community, and as noted above, that's a community strengthening in numbers in our nation. Pointing that fact out isn't reckless, it's a necessity to be mindful of that. It's lazy not to point it out.

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Apr 28, 2013 8:48:48 PM

5. Why are they screaming in Spanish? If they want their homophobia heard shouldn't they be screaming in English in Illinois?

I hope every LGBT gets engaged in our rights and freedoms. We can't let these bigots get louder than us. It's time! Get out, get loud and speak your voice!

Posted by: Marcus | Apr 28, 2013 9:02:23 PM

6. Did you see how many young moms with a gaggle of kids by their side were on the anti gay side?

Catholics against gay marriage but FOR 50 kids per women, sex outside marriage, and 16 year old teenage mammas. Viva la Catolicos!

Posted by: Girl please | Apr 28, 2013 9:05:35 PM

7. There's another anti gay marriage rally that was organized by Latinos and attended by hundreds of Latinos in Illinois. Clip can be found on you tube. And most of the attendees were in fact in their teens and twenties.
    The more the PC crowd in the LGBT refuses to address the realities of this situation, the more we refuse to come up with strategies to resolve it. Pretending a clear divide against our rights is not present in the Latino community is only hurting us. It's time to acknowledge it now, not when the majority of the country is Latino in a decade and we find ourselves finding a whole new emerging battle everywhere for our rights. It'll be too late then.

Posted by: Lipstick Diva | Apr 28, 2013 9:14:55 PM

8. @ mike
    but it's not stereotyping when it's facts. Fact: the latest marriage equality poll out of California showed Caucasian Californians are 10% more in favor of same sex marriage compared to Latino Californians (66% to 56%) Non white, non Hispanic Californians also support marriage equality with an impressive 63%. I'm Armenian btw and was proud of even my community during Prop 8and their willingness to put religion aside. Those of us who were in California, especially in the Los Angeles area know which groups were most opposed. I lived in the predominately Hispanic area of East Los Angeles during Prop 8 and all you saw was "Yes on 8" signs everywhere you went. As early as 2011, 50% of Los Angeles Latinos opposed gay marriage. They are a socially conservative block. Whether they reside in NYC, Miami, Chicago or Los Angeles.

Posted by: Moe | Apr 28, 2013 9:22:15 PM

9. Marriage between one man and one PIG hog.

Posted by: Dennie Wayne | Apr 28, 2013 11:15:59 PM

10. I was at this rally and much like the Rhode Island rally, some of the non Hispanic speakers all needed a translator to translate everything in the speech in Spanish, because a majority of the crowd did not speak English. The few that did told us that we should be shipped off to our own island and how sad it is undocumented latino immigrants can't legally come here yet gays can live here.
    I see it as the exact opposite. Our government is valiantly working to give more rights to undocumented immigrants (who, better or worse, broke the law to get here) yet can get married soon and have full equal rights, and have children who are instantly citizens, yet LGBT American citizens are treated as complete second class citizens and our government is doing very little to reverse that.

Posted by: Rally4Love | Apr 29, 2013 12:11:25 AM

11. I sided with Republican with this issue, How can they get the entrance so easily? I hope the republican dominated house will vote it down.

Posted by: tr2236 | Apr 29, 2013 12:39:16 AM

12. Looks like most of them double-downed on the Chic-Fil-A appreciation day...and never stopped. Worry not, they all look about three months away from their first and fatal heart attack. They just might meet their maker far sooner than any of us. If hate doesn't kill them first...

Posted by: millerbeach | Apr 29, 2013 12:40:07 AM

13. Can some one explain why all polls show Latino all show favor in marriage equality but the clip demonstrates the opposite. Even PPP ( the most accurate) shows that 70% Latino favors it in Illinois. Does that mean there is huge generational discrepancy? I am really puzzled.

Posted by: tr2236 | Apr 29, 2013 12:51:10 AM

14. That fuggo in white probably thinks gays are the reason she can't get a man.

Posted by: Paulie | Apr 29, 2013 6:59:05 AM

15. Rev. Ruiz, you've had your say, and you've made your bigoted opinions well known. Now understand this: you live in a secular democracy, and your "religious rights" have no weight when balanced against the civil rights of gay and lesbian couples who want to have a civil marriage.

So thank you Rev. Ruiz, but we don't need your prayers. What we do need--and more to the point, what we demand--is for you and your kind to STFU and stand aside.

Posted by: scooternva | Apr 29, 2013 10:30:30 AM

16. Oh look! Bigots and assholes on parade!

Posted by: mmike1969 | Apr 29, 2013 9:29:31 PM