Derek Jacobi | Ian McKellen | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi Play a Bickering Gay Couple in 'Vicious' New British Sitcom: VIDEO

Mckellen

British actors Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi star in a new sitcom from British network ITV premiering this month. The sitcom is called Vicious and the actors play a bickering gay couple who have been together for 48 years, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

“It's strictly coincidence that this issue is happening in the world,” says Gary Janetti, the U.S. writer who created Vicious. “But I think whenever the issue of gay marriage comes up the first couples that get married are these people that have been together 50 years, and you see these two women and these two men in their 80s. And I defy anybody not to be moved by that.”

Gary Reich, the managing director of Brown Eyed Boy, which is producing the show together with fellow Shine Group shingle Kudos Film, admits the timing of Vicious is particularly prescient. During the taping of the second episode in the six-part first season earlier this year, the British Parliament -- located directly across the Thames river from ITV's studios -- were voting to give same sex couples in Britain equal status under the law.

The show is no niche special either. It's being aired in primetime. It has not been sold for distribution in the U.S. yet.

Watch the trailer for the show, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Iwan Rheon!! Can't wait to watch this.

Posted by: DavidP | Apr 12, 2013 1:48:18 PM

2. I've always appreciated actors willing to tackle all kinds of projects: here are two great King Lears (Kings Lear?) doing a sitcom! (It's hard to imagine some American actors of equivalent stature doing a half-hour comedy.) And Frances de la Tour is invariably wonderful. I hope the writing is good.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Apr 12, 2013 1:51:42 PM

3. Ooooh I'm looking forward to this. And yes Iwan Rheon is hot!

Posted by: sparks | Apr 12, 2013 2:35:54 PM

4. YES!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 12, 2013 2:41:51 PM

5. Oh, dear. I hope the scripts get better.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 12, 2013 3:30:15 PM

6. I Loooooove these two actors!

Also hilarious: when I saw Ian McKellen on ALan Carr's "Chatty Man", the show was called VICIOUS OLD QUEENS.
    lol
    They've tamed it back to just "Vicious"

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 12, 2013 3:47:49 PM

7. I would LoVE to see this :D

Posted by: ni | Apr 12, 2013 5:05:41 PM

8. It won't be sold for syndication in the US. As usual, the rights will be bought and someone will do a lame US version that pales to the original.

Posted by: David | Apr 12, 2013 7:43:11 PM

9. Wouldn't you love to see these two in La Cage Aux Folles! Derek Jacobi always makes me feel good when I see him - don't know why.

Posted by: Karen Wasylowski | Apr 12, 2013 9:43:22 PM

10. They are playing it with a traditional British stagey sitcom adjustment. I'd watch it anyway. Maybe PBS will buy it because it's progressive and in that style and you can only run Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances for a certain number of decades.

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 13, 2013 12:19:02 AM

11. It appears to me that these are disheartening creatures, sarcastic, snarky stereotypes of unwholesome gay men self-imprisoned in a dismal airless relationship. Bleh I say, there's much better company almost anywhere.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 13, 2013 8:05:59 AM

12. Ummm...why do they fan their hands about and talk in this queeny fashion?

Many British straight folk will adore it, not just for the actors involved, but for how the show maintains a stereotype of gay men that utterly unrepresents how we live nowadays.

Frankly, I'm bewildered by McKellen and Jacobi prepared to take on something so homophobic and tiresome and old-hat.

And I loathe the title. Some gays, like anybody else, might be vicious, but that excludes all those others of us who aren't.

Posted by: robert | Apr 13, 2013 8:40:38 AM

13. anything paler than this would be translucent

Posted by: barilla | Apr 13, 2013 8:51:34 AM

14. This does not look good. Top-drawer actors (McKellen, Jacobi and de la Tour) having to deal with such tired tropes and stale stereotypes.

I'm of their generation, and I've lived through that time, but, gawd knows, it's no longer funny, and certainly not cutting-edge comedy.

But then again, I no longer find golliwogs funny either.

Posted by: Geoff Coupe | Apr 13, 2013 12:09:53 PM

15. Can't wait. Looks and sounds fantastic. Love Jacobi and Mckellen.

Posted by: Molc | Apr 14, 2013 3:08:42 AM