Mermaids | Mermen | News | Reality TV | Television

Meet the Gay Man Living the Mermaid Lifestyle: VIDEO

Ducharme

Eric Ducharme is the subject of TLC's My Crazy Obsession, premiering tonight. Buzzfeed has the trailer and some wonderful gifs.

The Daily Mail reports:

'When I put on a tail I feel transformed,' Ducharme says while resting on the water's edge. 'I feel like I'm starting to enter into a different world when I hit the water.'

He calls it 'mermaiding,' his own style of costumed free-diving that he says allows him to escape the world up above.

'Being under water I feel, I'm just totally away from the world,' he explains while able to hold his breath for up to four minutes at a time.

Though as bizarre of a 'lifestyle' activity as it is, it's one his family and even boyfriend have accepted - it not without initial astonishment.

'When I first met Eric, I was introduced to the subject of mermaids, on our first date,' Ducharme's boyfriend Matthew Quijano opens up on camera. 'Your jaw just kind of drops and you're just like, "wow."

'When we go swimming I don't even see him because he swims off to his own little corner, it's all about getting away from the rest of the world,' he says.

Check out video of Ducharme mertailing, AFTER THE JUMP...

Anigif_enhanced-buzz-7827-1364929211-0

Comments

1. Why am I thinking about tartar sauce?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 3, 2013 5:13:40 PM

2. Well, let's not knock this guy. The guy owns a business Mertailor.com where one of its products are mermaid costumes and designs. So, he and his partner know what they doing by appearing on TLC. Laughing to the bank. Good for them. Cute couple by the way. They will have cute merbabies.

Posted by: RLK | Apr 3, 2013 5:21:35 PM

3. Well at least he has his own business making these tails and by the list on his website he is quite in demand for commercial use.

Of course, he could be sitting here on the internet bashing people who are different than him.

Posted by: HirsuteHeuristics | Apr 3, 2013 5:25:29 PM

4. He is a fine looking merman-and he is happy living out what is basically a harmless fantasy...

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 3, 2013 5:43:02 PM

5. This is no stranger than a sports hobby. In fact, I think it's better than a sports hobby. And he looks good doing it. Just watch out for sharks, kiddo.

Posted by: Fidelio | Apr 3, 2013 5:47:25 PM

6. I don't care if you're a mermaid, it's illegal to get that close to a manatee.

Posted by: Johnny | Apr 3, 2013 6:53:11 PM

7. It's only crazy if you believe it.

Posted by: anon | Apr 3, 2013 6:55:30 PM

8. I think it's beautiful watching him swim and peaceful. I would SO get one of those tails if they sold them.

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 3, 2013 7:17:04 PM

9. It's so cool he spends time swimming with his great uncle!

Posted by: BobN | Apr 3, 2013 8:15:48 PM

10. Bobby, they do sell them. The guy in the video makes them for a living.

Has TLC run out of people with obsessions that they're just profiling people who have a job?

Posted by: Harrison | Apr 3, 2013 11:02:23 PM

11. OMG! After watching this TLC program, Eric and Matthew is such gorgeous, hot couple...I'd love to see them spawn!

Posted by: Sam | Apr 3, 2013 11:58:19 PM

12. If I were his boyfriend, my only concern would be whether or not that suit has a slit in the seat to facilitate porking.

Posted by: FFS | Apr 4, 2013 12:01:25 AM

13. I used to get turned on by the animated mermen in little mermaid, so i can't judge.

Posted by: HkFca | Apr 4, 2013 1:12:57 AM

14. Someone saw Madonna's "Cherish" video one too many times.

Posted by: Ruddigore | Apr 4, 2013 1:59:18 AM

15. The Little Mermaid makes it look more elegant, but I give props to him for doing what he loves. I'd probably panic if my leg movement was restricted underwater.

Posted by: LeScooterBug | Apr 4, 2013 7:27:10 AM

16. I actually used to know him. He's not only a wonderfully intelligent man, but he's got quite the vision for his business. I am glad to see he's getting the attention he deserves.

Posted by: Edward | Apr 4, 2013 7:56:04 AM

17. Good for him. He's got a hobby, it's good exercise, it isn't hurting anyone, and he's added some harmless eccentricity to a world that desperately needs more of it. The people who are closest to him are okay with it.

What's not to be okay with? Nothing fishy about it at all.

Posted by: Lymis | Apr 4, 2013 8:10:16 AM

18. You go gurl!

Posted by: DC Arnold | Apr 4, 2013 8:14:26 AM

19. He likes it, he looks hot and he's not hurting anyone with it. So swim, swim, swim!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Apr 4, 2013 9:51:32 AM

20. So, this crackpot gets a free pass from the commentators of Towleroad because he's cute. If this were a fat ugly guy, every queen on here would be ridiculing him for his psychosis.

Posted by: RockerRocker | Apr 4, 2013 11:29:33 AM

21. I can't wait to see the the man or woman that wants to be a unicorn!

Posted by: Lele | Apr 4, 2013 7:55:40 PM

22. At least he's not like those other people on my crazy obsession who are huffing gasoline every twenty minutes or getting full on creepy with teddy bears...

Posted by: Sam | Apr 4, 2013 10:29:47 PM

23. @RockerRocker: Well, yeah. Ugly, fat people hurt our eyes. They start off at a deficit and have to work harder to win us over.

This is simply what comes from being burdened with the gift of sight.

Posted by: FFS | Apr 5, 2013 6:46:01 AM

24. if you're going to do this isn't it better as camp....like bette midler?

or on the "boy" side of things something wilder, surreal and artistic like pierre et giles?

after all, isn't fantasy supposed to be a bit more over the top?

Posted by: mark | Apr 5, 2013 7:17:57 AM