Gay Marriage | Jeremy Irons | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jeremy Irons: 'Marriage is About Procreation' — VIDEO

Irons

Actor Jeremy Irons who recently made headlines with his remarks that allowing gays to marry might mean that a father would marry his son for tax purposes, and that gay marriage would "debase" the institution, was asked about that comment by the BBC this week.

Irons responded with the current lead right wing homophobe talking point:

"Well it changes it, doesn't it. Marriage is about procreation, really. That's historically how it's always been."

Irons added later that he wishes he'd "buttoned [his] lip" about the issue.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. To Wilberforce - Thanks for that small piece of very personal wisdom. I'm sure you're valued for much more than your brains.

Posted by: Markt | Apr 18, 2013 2:07:12 PM

2. PS :
    @Janice ......you speak the words !!!!

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 18, 2013 2:07:40 PM

3. When my mother married my stepfather, they were both in their late 50's. Procreation was the furthest thing from their minds and I don't think they thought they were changing the definition of marriage one iota. I guess it's time for me to throw out my poster from "The Rover".

Posted by: CAnaivePeter | Apr 18, 2013 2:08:41 PM

4. He looks like an ashtray.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 18, 2013 2:08:44 PM

5. We can certainly agree on that, UFFDA. ;-)

Seriously, someone needs to introduce his mouth to duct tape or, better yet, Krazy glue.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 18, 2013 2:14:37 PM

6. I wish there was a way to tweet at this moron, but none of the twitter accounts with his name in them actually seem to be owned by him.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 18, 2013 2:15:13 PM

7. 'Smug and smarmy twit'

'Specious, yet he thinks himself profound'

'Uninformed moron'

'Self-inflated' 'pompous a-hole'

and might I add ... whose now thrice revealed ignorance is just too loathsome to bear.

Posted by: JONES | Apr 18, 2013 2:15:35 PM

8. what about the straight guy who tried to adopt his girlfriend all because of $$$$$?

Posted by: mark | Apr 18, 2013 2:17:33 PM

9. "Overrated Actor Says Stupid Thing! News at 11!"

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 18, 2013 2:29:00 PM

10. No more Jeremy Iron films for me. Too bad, I kinda liked him.

Posted by: ArkArk | Apr 18, 2013 2:37:13 PM

11. apparently this paragon of virtue sees nothing wrong with going up to any woman and fondling her buttocks if he thinks she's good looking!
    I earnestly hope and pray the next one is a "big ole' lesbian" that smacks him so hard in the mouth he has to sit on his food to eat!

Posted by: lock | Apr 18, 2013 2:41:17 PM

12. Oh, you moron, IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN ABOUT THAT, INCLUDING NOW. Also, as an aside, why do so many people think we need more babies? If these crazies think the world is this horrible chaotic sin filled place, just wait until refugees fill every city on the planet due to over-crowding wars. Oh wait, they will just flip and become the crazies that push genocide (Read a book!)

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 18, 2013 2:47:35 PM

13. He's lost me at procreation. Really? This one gets the Grade A senile stamp of approval.

Posted by: Ish | Apr 18, 2013 2:51:33 PM

14. What a stupid, smug, self-righteous little prick. Good luck with your career. Maybe he and Mel Gibson should make a movie together?

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 18, 2013 3:04:31 PM

15. @lock: women don't like to be groped from some stranger, lesbian or not! ;-)

Posted by: coexxi | Apr 18, 2013 3:17:59 PM

16. No it isn't. My sister's infertile marriage proves it. My post menopausal third marriage proves it. Lastly, my heterosexual besties who have chosen that they never want to have nor raise children but are married proves that marriage is not now nor has it ever been about "procreation". Bristol Pailn and Maggie Gallagher still procreated without getting married to the fathers of their bastards.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 18, 2013 3:27:46 PM

17. Correct *** My aunt's post menopausal third marriage proves it.

Posted by: RMc | Apr 18, 2013 3:28:25 PM

18. Marriage has always been about an man owing a woman so he can legally rape her when he likes and the children are legally his heirs. Never forget marriage was the original slavery.

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 18, 2013 3:31:48 PM

19. How disappointing. I would have thought him to be more informed and enlightened.

Posted by: Douglas | Apr 18, 2013 3:42:07 PM

20. About procreation? What about sterile couples? Furthermore, as other posters have pointed out, your first marriage produced NO CHILDREN--so why were you married, then?

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 18, 2013 3:50:21 PM

21. What is the difference between Jeremy Irons and the Iron Lady?
    Margaret Thatcher is dead.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Apr 18, 2013 4:25:46 PM

22. Proof that a British accent doesn't make you smarter or more sophisticated.

Posted by: Jase | Apr 18, 2013 4:30:28 PM

23. Jeremy Irons was in "The Chronicles of Narnia." One of the producers, Perry Moore, was gay. He killed himself a couple years ago.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Apr 18, 2013 4:31:21 PM

24. How can someone so deep be so shallow? Or maybe that's "seemingly deep," as in acting skills.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Apr 18, 2013 4:37:35 PM

25. This is the man now into a third season of playing the Borgia Pope with marriages arranged for sealing power deals not procreation. Has he not been paying attention?

Posted by: Mike W | Apr 18, 2013 4:52:11 PM