Michelle Shocked | News | Piers Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

Michelle Shocked Tells Piers Morgan She's Not Homophobic, Audience Couldn't Accept Her 'Reality': VIDEO

Morgan_shocked

Singer Michelle Shocked joined Piers Morgan last night for her first interview since her "God hates fags" rant which caused cancelation of her entire tour.

ShockedMorgan asked her about the rant, and she gave a (surprise) nonsensical response:

"I admit I made a mistake, Piers. If I had the chance to do it again, I don’t think I would have taken the audience up on their choice. I had presented an entire performance, and I framed it as ‘truth,’ and then I came out back for an encore, and they requested ‘reality.’ What has consequently taken place ever since then is my manifestation of how little I think of reality. I know that it’s a stock in trade for a lot of the media to present things like that’s how it really is. But I don’t think the audience was ready for the consequences of that, and I surely have not been happy with it.”

Later Morgan asked her if she is homophobic and she began giving a dumb explanation that somehow her words would have meant something else if the whole thing hadn't been recorded:

"On the surface it sounds really bad. It's not really a point worth making but the show is supposed to be live, not recorded...To me, it's an important difference but I don't think I have time to go into it right now."

Then, pressed:

"If you want to keep this simple for the audience, let me just give you a straight, 'no, I'm not homophobic'."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. She just got on Piers Morgan. Would she have EVER been on Piers Morgan had she not done what she did during her encore? There is no such thing as bad publicity. Mission Accomplished.

Posted by: Razor | Apr 2, 2013 8:44:59 AM

2. Girlfriend looks like a melted wax figure.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 2, 2013 8:53:42 AM

3. lots and lots of incoherent babbling

Posted by: lany | Apr 2, 2013 8:55:01 AM

4. agreed. i'm not happy piers had her on. and i'm not happy andy is posting this. this woman doesn't deserve a podium

Posted by: brian | Apr 2, 2013 8:55:20 AM

5. Some podium. No way to make any sort of sense of non-stop incohererence.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 2, 2013 9:10:55 AM

6. It's all so clear now; it was the audience's fault.

Let us never hear from this birch again.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 2, 2013 9:11:17 AM

7. Isn't it time to let go of this Michelle Shocked thing? Most of us had never even heard of her before.

Posted by: Butch | Apr 2, 2013 9:16:21 AM

8. She's bottoming out. She's not making any sense.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Apr 2, 2013 9:17:28 AM

9. "The concert wasn't supposed to be taped."

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 2, 2013 9:19:06 AM

10. Yes, please, keep it simple for the audience... because we keep seeming to get it wrong.

Ba-bye.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Apr 2, 2013 9:21:11 AM

11. "Ms. Shocked, there is a bat colony at the door asking for you. They say you have something that belongs to them."

Posted by: MikeMick | Apr 2, 2013 9:28:54 AM

12. I absolutely hate it when "artists" tries to explain their incoherent, idiotic thought processes as "art" that isn't understood.

She's not an intellect; she's not an artist. She's a moron and a hack, who's only managed to fool a very specific, foolish niche market of individuals for a microscopic amount of "success."

An artist trying to make a statement UNDERSTANDS that statement and can articulate and defend that statement -- even if the art itself is a caricature or an abstraction.

Ugh...She needs to go away.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 2, 2013 9:34:13 AM

13. I know my opinion will run counter to most, but I actually feel sorry for her. She is obviously deeply disturbed and uncomfortable enough with who she really is to be open to manipulation by some extremist religion. I saw her once in concert and thought her music to be quite moving (not exactly to my tastes, but I understand why people would get passionate about it). I'm obviously a gay man, and I was at the concert with an obvious lesbian friend, and we spoke to Ms. Shocked afterwards and she was really lovely to both of us. I guess that is why this saddens me more than anything. She is not a person in a position of power whose words have a great real-world impact; she is just an extremely confused woman having a public meltdown on a level that far exceeds any fame she already had.

Posted by: Todd | Apr 2, 2013 10:02:51 AM

14. "Keeping it simple for the audience" makes for boring, unenlightening interviews.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 2, 2013 10:06:39 AM

15. Won't be long until she's this woman.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 2, 2013 10:16:27 AM

16. The key line for me is "the show is supposed to be live, not recorded". What rock has she been living under? Musicians have been recorded by fans since at least the 1940's when recording tape was introduced, in this day and age of digital devices that can record anything, she thought no one would hit Record?

Translation: I'm sorry I got caught.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Apr 2, 2013 10:20:29 AM

17. @ Todd :

It's a straightforward situation - she's over.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 2, 2013 10:21:47 AM

18. Um, just who was she and why did anyone care. Over and out.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Apr 2, 2013 10:25:20 AM

19. Let's keep it simple - her career is over and it's too late for her to backpedal. No one is interested in her opinions anymore.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 2, 2013 10:34:11 AM

20. And this interview did her good...? I think she needs some kind of help.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 2, 2013 10:36:47 AM

21. Look, lady, people aren't confused by what you're saying because they're too stupid to get your artistic vision. They're confused because you're too inept with the English language to string a sentence together. Somehow you were able to muster just enough grammar to make an incredibly offensive statement, and it looks like the effort blew out your Broca's area.

Posted by: jd | Apr 2, 2013 10:40:38 AM

22. Well it looks like someone is cracking up....

Posted by: Richard Cox | Apr 2, 2013 10:50:44 AM

23. Onnyjay, if you listen to Short Sharp Shocked you would understand why anyone cares. Plus, this is really entertaining at this point. That condom suit she wore at Moe's was a blast!

Posted by: Joey | Apr 2, 2013 11:03:53 AM

24. My guess is that Ms. Shocked is a Lesbian and cannot come to terms with it. So she went off on this rant to 'affirm' her heterosexuality. The people who are most anti-gay frequently do that before coming to terms with it. It is this deep conflict that renders her incoherent on this issue.

If this is the case and she comes out then some people will find some compassion for her. And some people will never be able to let go of their anger. As the saying goes 'Love the bigot but hate the bigotry.'

Posted by: Charlie | Apr 2, 2013 11:06:09 AM

25. If her explanation was meant to elicit some clarity or context into her rant - she failed at it. Admitting that she made a mistake was a good start but then she obfuscates and ends up sounding arrogant by stating that the audience wasn't ready for "her reality"? While some people inspire fascination as they metaphorically crash and burn, Michelle Shocked isn't one of them. Strangely, I agree with @Todd - I feel sorry for her too.

Posted by: Homer | Apr 2, 2013 11:09:07 AM