Michelle Shocked | News | Piers Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

Michelle Shocked Tells Piers Morgan She's Not Homophobic, Audience Couldn't Accept Her 'Reality': VIDEO

Morgan_shocked

Singer Michelle Shocked joined Piers Morgan last night for her first interview since her "God hates fags" rant which caused cancelation of her entire tour.

ShockedMorgan asked her about the rant, and she gave a (surprise) nonsensical response:

"I admit I made a mistake, Piers. If I had the chance to do it again, I don’t think I would have taken the audience up on their choice. I had presented an entire performance, and I framed it as ‘truth,’ and then I came out back for an encore, and they requested ‘reality.’ What has consequently taken place ever since then is my manifestation of how little I think of reality. I know that it’s a stock in trade for a lot of the media to present things like that’s how it really is. But I don’t think the audience was ready for the consequences of that, and I surely have not been happy with it.”

Later Morgan asked her if she is homophobic and she began giving a dumb explanation that somehow her words would have meant something else if the whole thing hadn't been recorded:

"On the surface it sounds really bad. It's not really a point worth making but the show is supposed to be live, not recorded...To me, it's an important difference but I don't think I have time to go into it right now."

Then, pressed:

"If you want to keep this simple for the audience, let me just give you a straight, 'no, I'm not homophobic'."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. More evidence that she is truly mentally ill

Posted by: Steve | Apr 2, 2013 11:11:19 AM

2. Why is anyone giving airtime to this dyke?

Posted by: chasmader | Apr 2, 2013 11:20:56 AM

3. Funny, it sounds like Michelle Shocked's "reality" seems to be the same one peddled by the Westboro Baptist Church.

Posted by: Peter | Apr 2, 2013 11:21:06 AM

4. This woman's attempt to boost her career spouting hate and bigotry has destroyed any chance of ever having a career.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 2, 2013 11:36:49 AM

5. she reminds me of people I went to highschool with, and with co-workers who consider themselves "artists" but are just kind of...crazy...and bratty.

Posted by: steve | Apr 2, 2013 11:46:30 AM

6. Many of the people who heard the live show-- not the recording of it-- got up and walked out and/or yelled back at Shocked for being a hateful idiot.

So what was that she was saying about how the taped version left a different impression than the live version?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 2, 2013 11:54:12 AM

7. Her utterances are nonsensical gibberish - I hope she has someone to care for her - otherwise she's going to wind up as a bag lady very soon.

Posted by: Fahd | Apr 2, 2013 12:09:47 PM

8. Sorry, Michelle, but your "reality" is my nightmare. You're an evangelical christian which means you are a royal flaming @$$hole.

You've had your say. Now sit the f*ck down and shut the f*ck up.

Your career is still over and praise Jesus for that!

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 2, 2013 12:21:35 PM

9. She has the same eyes as that inbred fiddle kid from the movie "Deliverance". That's just damned creepy.

Posted by: nick | Apr 2, 2013 12:58:20 PM

10. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that she just phrased herself badly and wasn't really intending to make a homophobic point, as she claimed in her initial statement about the incident. However, even if that is actually the truth, playing the "misunderstood artist" card isn't the way you're going to get past it -- that only serves to bolster the initial perceptions and undermine your efforts at damage control.

You're not entitled to the benefit of the doubt just because you ask for it, lady. You gotta earn it by walking the walk.

Posted by: Craig S | Apr 2, 2013 1:47:36 PM

11. She has at least one personality disorder and/or mental illness. She shouldn't be on Piers, she should be getting help.

Posted by: Bruno | Apr 2, 2013 2:20:57 PM

12. You call it "reality", Michelle - everybody else calls it "insanity".

Please get some help before you end up eating bugs and running naked in public.

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 2, 2013 7:07:34 PM

13. I think she said: it doesn't really matter because the springs are coming out of the floor boards anyway. She couldn't have made it any clearer!

Posted by: andrew | Apr 2, 2013 8:51:29 PM

14. I'm gonna make this as simple as I can, and pardon me Sweet Brown for lifting your signature catch phrase, but nobody has time for this. On one hand, she can easily be dismissed as just being a crackpot, while on the other... this woman is clearly mentally ill. She's pretty much done. Sorry.

Posted by: Nelson | Apr 2, 2013 9:04:49 PM

15. I still can't name one song with woman has ever sang. Do I dare even look her up? I've been following this train wreck since a couple weeks ago, and my god, it keeps on getting wreckier and wreckier.

I know. Wreckier is not a word. But I think she's a pretty good candidate to try it out.

Posted by: Marc | Apr 3, 2013 1:59:22 AM

16. Too funny.

What's reality got to do with it?

Posted by: melvin | Apr 3, 2013 3:15:11 AM

17. The woman is clearly having a mental breakdown - the confusing way she talks reminds me of a friend who had a psychotic break, for real.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 3, 2013 10:41:16 AM

18. Having two gay sisters I've always known who she is, but I couldn't pick her out of a line-up or identify any of her songs. She is obviously a person with a fan base of sorts. The only good thing I can say of this is at least she was being authentic--she spoke her truth (of the moment), although it is entirely ironic since she is denying her *actual* truth, which is that she is a lesbian. I feel sadness for her sake that she believes Christian dogma. Too bad for her!

Posted by: Mabel Hodges | Apr 3, 2013 12:22:03 PM

19. Born a Mormon! Ha Ha Ha. I'm sorry, but nobody is born a Mormon or any other religion, it requires careful indoctrination.

Posted by: nick | Apr 3, 2013 1:36:46 PM