News: Rick Warren, Nelson Mandela, Asteroids, Smith College

RoadPastor Rick Warren's son Matthew has committed suicide.

WarmingRoadWhat America will look like under 25 feet of seawater.

RoadNASA to tow asteroid toward Earth for exploration. "The $105 million proposal would begin planning on a two-stage program in which a robotic spacecraft would grab a small asteroid as early as 2019 and drag it back toward Earth, leaving it in a stable position 'just beyond the moon,' a NASA official said."

RoadSmith College wants an end to anti-trans discrimination in admissions.

RoadNelson Mandela discharged from hospital: "The statement from the office of President Jacob Zuma said there had been 'a sustained and gradual improvement' in the condition of 94-year-old Mandela, who was admitted to a hospital on the night of March 27. 'The former President will now receive home-based high care,' the statement said."

RoadDavid Mixner has five questions for activist Alan van Capelle.

RoadAnti-gay evangelical who called AIDS "a gay cancer" appointed to run Brazil's human Rights and Minority Commission: "Campaigners in Brazil have staged protests and demonstrations over the decision to appoint Mr Feliciano. A high-profile campaign has collected 450,000 signatures calling for his resignation."

Comments

1. I'm not a fan of Pastor Rick Warren. Point in fact, I despise him. But no one should lose their child. My deepest condolences to him and his family.

Posted by: mickyflip | Apr 6, 2013 6:45:37 PM

2. RIP Rick Warren's son. More awareness is needed for mental illness.

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Apr 6, 2013 6:54:17 PM

3. Just realized that Rick Warren was the pastor that supported the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda.

I can't help but think of all the young gays Rick Warren hurt by his anti-gay activism. I hope he evolves.

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Apr 6, 2013 7:19:24 PM

4. Warren was a major figure in Prop 8

He says the young man spent a happy evening with his parents, then went home and killed himself
    -- DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR?

@mickyflip- the man undoubtedly caused the suffering, and probably the deaths, of many Gay kids.

Posted by: Bob | Apr 6, 2013 7:22:41 PM

5. I guess my comment was flagged for profanity. Let me rewrite. Due to the fact that they don't mention the mental illness and mention therapy and counsling can only lead one to conclude that this was a gay suicide brought on by evangelical parents.

Posted by: JP | Apr 6, 2013 7:42:37 PM

6. @Bob I'm not going to deny it. In fact, I'm sure you're right. I don't 'like' Rick Warren either. But I wouldn't wish what he's going through right now on my worst enemy. No one deserves to have their child taken like that. The whole thing is tragic. I just hope that maybe this will open Pastor Warren's eyes.

Posted by: mickyflip | Apr 6, 2013 7:51:42 PM

7. What goes around comes around indeed...

No doubt, Warren's bigotry and hate mongering have caused a number of suicides to questioning young people. Now he feels the sting that those other families felt. As a former catholic I understand that gays and lesbians can't go to heaven, and suicide victims as well. Which means his son will be among one of them gays he oh so hate Rick. The irony.

Thank heavens I don't believe in... well, heaven anymore. Or else I'll really feel bad about Matthew's death. It is a loss. If anything it should have been the father that was taken.

Posted by: ducklingoi | Apr 6, 2013 7:54:55 PM

8. No one chooses their parents, and it had to be an incredibly tough lot to be born into all that religious nonsense...I mean, religious nonsense from all sides and 24/7. No chance to live your own life, based on reality. I'd be depressed, too. I mean, either you take the Kool-Aid brainwashing (what most, but not all, of the Phelps kids have done) or you are in a state of constant pain at not being authentic, and not having your true self recognized and loved.

I don't wish his family pain, but Rick Warren is scum. Not just Prop 8, and not just the dumb, homophobic comments about AIDS, but all his religious, sheep-training, empire-building hooey.

Posted by: rationalist | Apr 6, 2013 8:13:13 PM

9. You reap what you sow.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 6, 2013 8:46:18 PM

10. I have to agree with JP, I thought the same thing. With this father being so bigoted, I think his kid may have felt he had no way out. It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination for the father to have him committed if he was gay or even ex-gay therapy.

Posted by: macmantoo | Apr 6, 2013 8:50:37 PM

11. Another child killed by religion!

Posted by: Sly | Apr 6, 2013 9:25:09 PM

12. If we are to respect Rick Warren's beliefs and preachings, then we must accept that whatever anguish Matthew's suicide causes his father is exactly what God intends for him, according to his own deeply held beliefs. It may seem cruel to us, but that's only because we do not see what God sees. God is a vengeful god but also a loving god. Whatever we may think, and even if Warren _never_ understands it, his suffering is deserved, just, and for his own good and the good of God's children, at least according to what Warren himself preaches. This goes right to the heart of the gospel and its sublime heavenly glory. It provides comfort in times of misery that God tortures good people *lovingly.* Whoever says no one deserves such anguish may mean well, but they are denying the righteousness of God, as Warren sincerely sees Him. In so doing they rob Warren of the Good News that his suffering is an expression of God's eternal love.

Posted by: JJ | Apr 6, 2013 9:27:16 PM

13. When are we as a community going to tackle religion, and those who are militant and fundamentalist in their religion? We're so quick to be told "oh! but there's good Christians"....yeah, but there's many, many, many, many, many, many, many harmful religious forces out there. HARMING lives. When are we going to address this and stop being worried to be prim & proper to the big bad religious wolf?

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Apr 6, 2013 9:29:04 PM

14. Compare how many lives the gay community has taken compared to that of the number of lives religious community has taken. I often wonder why it's not the religious community fighting for their rights, considering religious individuals do far more to damage to youth mind's with their indoctrination than any gay individual I've ever met.

Posted by: TacoCrust | Apr 6, 2013 9:34:09 PM

15. This man is out killing gay people, YES KILLING GAYS, in other parts of the country, and instead of feeling sorry for his son, some of you are extending sympathy for HIM? No wonder gay people are consider p-ssies. No back bone, and will bow down to the worst hetero just to be a nice guy. LAME!

Posted by: Goal VA | Apr 6, 2013 9:36:41 PM

16. Goal VA

You are a real class act.

Posted by: James | Apr 6, 2013 9:37:55 PM

17. So we're supposed to pretend all these religious figures kids committing suicide has nothing to do with the oppressive brain washing going on at home? Of course it's linked, and of course this creep has blood on his hands.

Posted by: D.D Leo | Apr 6, 2013 9:39:01 PM

18. My heart goes out to every gay and straight child raised in a household that practices the cult known as religion. A man made mythology, written and created by antiquated men, and now rapes the minds of our youth. My heart goes out to these poor children.

Posted by: LazerLight | Apr 6, 2013 9:40:52 PM

19. I grew up in a religious home with a religious pastor much like this man and I'm still surprised I managed to get out and be of healthy state of min. It's absolute mental abuse for these children because they have NO say. They have no freedoms, no opinions, no free will. They are told what to think, do, say and if they ever question it, they are homeless on the streets.
    Religious people oppressing their children is happening every day, and the kids have no voice to speak. Ask many of us who have lived it. It's not fun feeling like your soul is floating in life and belongs to someone else.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 6, 2013 9:52:17 PM

20. 1- Where was his "Loving- caring- religious support system ?

2- His parents apparently felt he could fuction alone.

3- Where did he get the "GUN" ?
    4- Why was a gun available to him ?

Dare I point fingures at his loving family and members....Wayne La Perre...the NRA.

At least those of my friends- relatives and all who are in need are NOT LEFT ALONE.

Posted by: anthony | Apr 6, 2013 9:59:03 PM

21. As an atheist who expects that death is the end of cosciousness, I'm still prepared to accept the notion that Matthew is in a better place now.

As for his father, if his pain and grief make him a better person, then Matthew didn't die in vain.

Posted by: Rich | Apr 6, 2013 10:04:34 PM

22. So where was Rick's God to heal his son of his mental illness? What value is his faith then?

Posted by: nikko | Apr 6, 2013 10:09:40 PM

23. i really can't help myself because this is how i feel. I have NO sympathy and I extend NO condolences to him and his family. This man has his kind has contributed to the death of gay people around the world. Is he not one of the pastors spreading homophobia in Africa? NO SYMPATHY, he is a FAILURE to his son. How can he lead a "folk" when he can't even help his son. FAILURE!!! I do wish his dead son well, and hope he has found peace where he is.

Posted by: johnosahon | Apr 6, 2013 10:47:47 PM

24. Do spare us your Global Warming BS, Otay Buckwheat?

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 6, 2013 10:56:42 PM

25. Anthony - Bite me and every other law abiding Constitutional gun owner. All my young life my grandfather had a revolver on his dresser and somehow none of us felt the need to even touch it much less fire it. You know why? Because we we're allowed to touch it. If we wanted to fire a gun he would have taken us and shown us how to fire a gun... but we had no interest in it back then. My entire family is armed and my nieces and nephews have never taken a gun from a dresser, a purse, or a glove compartment. They have all passed gun courses at the firing range.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 6, 2013 11:01:34 PM