BigGayDeal.com

News: Cyndi Lauper, Zambia, Annette Funicello, Grindr, Jamaica

RoadMouseketeer Annette Funicello dead.

RoadBravo cancels Kathy Griffin's talk show after two seasons.

LauperRoadCyndi Lauper talks Kinky Boots: "Sometimes a man doesn't dress up like a woman because he wants to be a woman," says Lauper of the fetishistic footwear. "He dresses like a woman to make him feel more like a man."

RoadVIDEO: One Direction's Harry Styles pantsed by bandmate.

RoadNew discovery explains why red meat increases risk of heart disease: "Stanley Hazen at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute in Ohio and colleagues fed mice a diet high in carnitine, a nutrient found in large amounts in red meat and also added to energy drinks. The team found that this increased the incidence of atherosclerosis, a thickening of the artery walls."

RoadGay clash reported in Jamaica...

RoadStories & Queer, a traveling reading series that aims to provide a space for local and national readers and listeners to connect. "Even though the LGBTQ community is on the brink of historic advancements in equal rights, bullying and anti-LGBTQ speech is still pervasive. The Stories & Queer reading series steps in to embrace queer and queer-friendly poets and writers who express themselves, the issues/ideas most important to them."

RoadJames Franco is also obsessed with Ryan Gosling.

RoadHere's a promo clip for the final season of Dexter.

GrindrillustratedRoadGrindr illustrated.

RoadNJ state senator Barbara Buono turns campaign's focus to gay rights: "I’ve always been a progressive and this is in keeping with my philosophy. So it’s not a strategic move on my part."

RoadZambia arrests human rights activist Paul Kasonkomona after TV appearand urging recognition of gay rights: "Police said they were following orders from top officials in the police force."

RoadBiden was a looker.

RoadRev. Bill Keller challenges Bill O'Reilly to $10,000 debate over his Bible thumper remarks. “O’Reilly says that those who support God’s plan for marriage lose the argument because all they can do is ‘thump the Bible.’ Let him put his money where his mouth is. We will each put up $10,000 to the charity of our choice, he can make his case for gay marriage, and I will ONLY use the Bible to make the case for traditional marriage,” Keller said.

RoadA round-up of Hillary 2016 hype.

RoadMarc Jacobs and Harry Louis hit the beach in Rio.

SantucciRoadMale model fix: Jeremy Santucci.

RoadAnti-gay Blue Dog Democrat Stephanie Herseth Sandlin lusting for a D.C. comeback.

RoadPHOTOS: A gay wedding on the Brooklyn Bridge.

RoadChelsea Clinton leaves open the possibility of political office: "Right now I'm grateful to live in a city, in a state and a country where I strongly support my mayor, my governor, my president, my senators and my representative...If at some point that weren't true and I thought I could make a meaningful and measurably greater impact, I'd have to ask and answer that question."

RoadAn open letter to LGBTQ high school students considering Texas A&M: "As you decide where you will attend college, please don’t make an assumption about Texas A&M based on a misguided minority. I promise, it is not representative of the education or values that we are taught to uphold. I’d hate for you to miss out on the opportunity to be a part of this family, based on the primitive views of very few."

Comments

1. RIP ANNETTE—Spin, Marty, & I will never forget you. With the passing of this icon of American youthful innocence, those of us of a certain age will also remember something else Annette appeared in: the “Mickey Mouse Club” serial “The Adventures of Spin & Marty.” For those unaware, it was the story of a group of boys at a summer ranch, especially butch Spin and sensitive Marty. Annette played a character from the nearby girls ranch who sometimes came between them, but they symbolized to so many of us then children ourselves the special friendship males could have. In fact, in the now classic book "Tales of the City," author Armistead Maupin has the lead character, Michael, say that the show made him gay. When his lover responds that he’d forgotten its significance, Michael says: “That’s because you identified with Spin. Those of us who identified with Marty will never, ever, forget it.” The link below is to rare video of Annette’s 1981 guest appearance in another great gay phenomenon, San Francisco's still-running legendary show named in part by late gay creator Steve Silver for the movie series she starred in: "Beach Blanket Babylon." I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Apr 8, 2013 3:49:38 PM

2. RIP ANNETTE—Spin, Marty, & I will never forget you. With the passing of this icon of American youthful innocence, those of us of a certain age will also remember something else Annette appeared in: the “Mickey Mouse Club” serial “The Adventures of Spin & Marty.” For those unaware, it was the story of a group of boys at a summer ranch, especially butch Spin and sensitive Marty. Annette played a character from the nearby girls ranch who sometimes came between them, but they symbolized to so many of us then children ourselves the special friendship males could have. In fact, in the now classic book "Tales of the City," author Armistead Maupin has the lead character, Michael, say that the show made him gay. When his lover responds that he’d forgotten its significance, Michael says: “That’s because you identified with Spin. Those of us who identified with Marty will never, ever, forget it.” The link below is to rare video of Annette’s 1981 guest appearance in another great gay phenomenon, San Francisco's still-running legendary show named in part by late gay creator Steve Silver for the movie series she starred in: "Beach Blanket Babylon." I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Apr 8, 2013 3:50:10 PM

3. RIP ANNETTE—Spin, Marty, & I will never forget you. With the passing of this icon of American youthful innocence, those of us of a certain age will also remember something else Annette appeared in: the “Mickey Mouse Club” serial “The Adventures of Spin & Marty.” For those unaware, it was the story of a group of boys at a summer ranch, especially butch Spin and sensitive Marty. Annette played a character from the nearby girls ranch who sometimes came between them, but they symbolized to so many of us then children ourselves the special friendship males could have. In fact, in the now classic book "Tales of the City," author Armistead Maupin has the lead character, Michael, say that the show made him gay. When his lover responds that he’d forgotten its significance, Michael says: “That’s because you identified with Spin. Those of us who identified with Marty will never, ever, forget it.” The link below is to rare video of Annette’s 1981 guest appearance in another great gay phenomenon, San Francisco's still-running legendary show named in part by late gay creator Steve Silver for the movie series she starred in: "Beach Blanket Babylon." I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Apr 8, 2013 3:51:16 PM

4. RIP ANNETTE—Spin, Marty, & I will never forget you. With the passing of this icon of American youthful innocence, those of us of a certain age will also remember something else Annette appeared in: the “Mickey Mouse Club” serial “The Adventures of Spin & Marty.” For those unaware, it was the story of a group of boys at a summer ranch, especially butch Spin and sensitive Marty. Annette played a character from the nearby girls ranch who sometimes came between them, but they symbolized to so many of us then children ourselves the special friendship males could have. In fact, in the now classic book "Tales of the City," author Armistead Maupin has the lead character, Michael, say that the show made him gay. When his lover responds that he’d forgotten its significance, Michael says: “That’s because you identified with Spin. Those of us who identified with Marty will never, ever, forget it.” The link below is to rare video of Annette’s 1981 guest appearance in another great gay phenomenon, San Francisco's still-running legendary show named in part by late gay creator Steve Silver for the movie series she starred in: "Beach Blanket Babylon." I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Apr 8, 2013 3:53:02 PM

5. SORRY FOR THE MULITPLE DUPLICATE POSTS. Was getting pop-up that seemed to be rejecting them.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Apr 8, 2013 3:57:04 PM

6. So, the Rev. Bill Keller is doing EXACTLY what Bill O’Reilly said that Bible thumpers do---thereby proving Bill's point. Um, doesn't the Rev see how stupid this makes him look?

Posted by: octobercountry | Apr 8, 2013 4:12:49 PM

7. So, the Rev. Bill Keller is doing EXACTLY what Bill O’Reilly said that Bible thumpers do---thereby proving Bill's point. Um, doesn't the Rev see how stupid this makes him look?

Posted by: octobercountry | Apr 8, 2013 4:13:01 PM

8. Cyndi is seriously channeling Madonna in that photo.. she looks awesome. So happy for her success with Kinky Boots.

Posted by: graphicjack | Apr 8, 2013 4:13:46 PM

9. So, the Rev. Bill Keller is doing EXACTLY what Bill O’Reilly said that Bible thumpers do---thereby proving Bill's point. Um, doesn't the Rev see how stupid this makes him look?

Posted by: octobercountry | Apr 8, 2013 4:21:13 PM

10. According the open letter by some Texas A&M alumni, that "misguided minority" forms the majority in the student senate. To remedy the situation and save the school's reputation, students must vote these people out in the next election.

Posted by: simon | Apr 8, 2013 4:22:43 PM

11. According the open letter by some Texas A&M alumni, that "misguided minority" forms the majority in the student senate. To remedy the situation and save the school's reputation, students must vote these people out in the next election.

Posted by: simon | Apr 8, 2013 4:22:53 PM

12. According the open letter by some Texas A&M alumni, that "misguided minority" forms the majority in the student senate. To remedy the situation and save the school's reputation, students must vote these people out in the next election.

Posted by: simon | Apr 8, 2013 4:24:23 PM

13. O' Reilly should take him up on his offer. Show up at the debate and say that the Bible is FICTION therefore no arguments can be made based on a fictitious writing. Done. $10k richer.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Apr 8, 2013 4:52:40 PM

14. I'm glad I'm not the only who mistakenly posted multiple times. Hopefully this problem gets fixed soon.

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 8, 2013 5:13:41 PM

15. Aw, Love ya Annette! you adorable thang. you were my dad's first crush.

and rock ON, Cyndi!. Kinky Boots is a blast - if you can get to NYC, see it. it's terrific.

the Stories & Queer traveling reading series sounds like an incredible thing. sharing our stories across the country. wonderful wonderful wonderful idea.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 8, 2013 5:38:40 PM

16. I challenge you to a debate refuting your claims that I have no other argument against marriage equality than thumping my bible ...by thumping my bible?

They seriously need to get out more. They've become an episode of South Park.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Apr 8, 2013 5:48:46 PM

17. No one can blame Mr Franco for lusting after the Gosling- now if these two could only play gay lovers?

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 8, 2013 5:52:36 PM

18. I can not help but be fiercely impressed with the dedication and bravery of the activists in Africa...

Posted by: Fred | Apr 8, 2013 6:08:30 PM

19. Cindy Lauper needs to stay in her lane and stop making up nonsense in her head.

"He dresses like a woman to make him feel more like a man." ????

Way to embrace the gender binary and completely miss the point of gender expression and identification, girl. And NO, you are NOT a drag queen.

Posted by: swarm | Apr 8, 2013 6:54:16 PM

20. The reverend is framing the incorrect debate (which is what thumpers do). The debate is about excluding same sex couples from civil marriage, this can't be supported by quoting from the bible as there is no religious test to our shared laws in the United States.

Posted by: Sammy | Apr 8, 2013 7:44:31 PM

21. Agree, Fred.

I hope that articles about Senator Buono's support for our community will receive more prominent posting as this year's New Jersey gubernatorial race proceeds.

She may have little chance of beating Christie (though races like the 1997 New Jersey gubernatorial race should caution those who too readily dismiss the prospects of an unknown Dem in New Jersey against an incumbent Repug flying high). Still, New Jersey is really the only state in the entire country where we can identify a single individual - in this case, Chris Christie - as the one and only person blocking gay and lesbian people from having the right to marry. The legislature has passed the bill and all we need is a Governor who will sign it. Any gay or lesbian Jerseyite with an ounce of self-respect, and any other Jerseyite who cares for a gay or lesbian person, will get to the polls and vote against the anti-gay Chris Christie.

Posted by: Patric | Apr 8, 2013 10:12:43 PM

22. I attended A&M at the same time as the author of that open letter. Dude must have had a hot Corps Cadet bunkmate to play the "roommate game" with, cuz he's looking at that cesspool thru some serious rose-colored glasses.

A&M is a hole. Painfully ignorant spawn of willfully ignorant conservative parents are NOT the minority, there. Sidewalk preachers touting "THE END IS NIGH (read: cuz of gays)" haunt most of the highly trafficked areas on campus and hardly anyone ridicules them the way they deserve to be. My best friend from school's biology teacher prefaced her lecture on evolution by saying that she is personally a creationist. When I attended Tulane, students protested child sweat-shop labor and to free Tibet. At A&M protests come in 3 flavors: Man-Marries-Dog/Bicycle/Delicious cup of Frozen Yogurt, "Here's a bunch of 10-ft pictures of what aborted fetuses look like," and "If all our students were allowed to carry concealed handguns, then there would be no campus shootings."

I only picked A&M over UT, because the year I moved back to Texas was the year the legislature deregulated public school tuition and the cost of attending UT quadrupled, overnight. Also, they only allow each student 3 drops and each time my write-in reason for dropping was, "This 'professor' is SO STUPID, it is literally too painful for my brain to subject myself to his/her lectures." If they'd given me 12 drops, I'd have used them all for the very same reason. Graduating from that carnival side-show was like trying to hit a moving target. And the only word my "Academic Adviser" knew was, "No."

Run, baby gays!!! Run away, far, far from Aggieland!!!!

Posted by: FFS | Apr 9, 2013 3:16:40 AM

23. Biden really was a looker...sad what age does to the human body. Not sayin' he now looks bad, it's just that he was such a "wow" back then. Oh, and run from the south, my gay friends...run. Run to the north. Do not look back. They don't want us there, and that's just fine...the south is great to visit, but a horrible place to live. So totally void of real culture, it is sickening. Why should we grace them with our wonderful presence?

Posted by: millerbeach | Apr 9, 2013 5:50:49 AM

24. The cancellation of Kathy's show is just one more bad decision in a long line of bad decisions. Soon, they will have to change the name from 'Bravo' to 'The Real' because their entire programming schedule will consist solely of RHO-something. Terrible Shows for a terrible network.

Posted by: Ryon | Apr 9, 2013 8:07:11 AM

25. Remember folks: The "BIBLE" is not a book written by a single author, or even a group of authors working together to produce the book. The "BIBLE" is a collection of hundreds of works by dozens of authors written over a period of many hundreds of years. Even current "BIBLES" are not consistent.

As an example, my parents had three King James Bibles, and two Roman Catholic Bibles published in a period of almost three hundred years. On rainy Saturday afternoons when there was nothing else to do, I would open up one bible, and then open the others to the same story. Many times, the 5 books did not agree. The usual reason was the descriptive adjectives in the stories. Sometimes, an entire section would be missing in one of them. AH; Yes. The "Word of God".

Posted by: Jerry6 | Apr 10, 2013 9:48:40 PM