Arizona | Matt Salmon | Mormon | News

Gay Son of Congressman Matt Salmon Talks About His Father, Who Opposes Same-Sex Marriage: VIDEO

Kpnx_salmon

Matt R. Salmon, the son of Rep. Matt Salmon (R-AZ), talks about his father and his father's public opposition of marriage equality, with KPNX.

Said Salmon: "It's hard for me to understand that people will jump to the conclusion that he's anti-gay, he's a bigot. When really, yeah he doesn't support gay marriage, but that doesn't make him a bigot at all."

Salmon also reveals that he was in 'reparative therapy' and the hardest moment he had in his relationship with his father was when he decided to stop doing it:

"It was probably while I was in college, at ASU, and I had just decided that I was no longer going to do reparative therapy, and it was hard for him. We still had a loving relationship but it was difficult for him to accept."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So, this is "Square Off" and nobody "squared off" against his views?

ARGH!!!!

Posted by: BobN | Apr 9, 2013 2:07:16 AM

2. Physician, heal thyself.

Posted by: Rich | Apr 9, 2013 3:29:35 AM

3. Mormonism only appeals to people who yearn to be told what to think. In that respect, it is very much a real form of brainwashing.

As someone who survived a Mormon upbringing, myself, I can attest that shaking off that brainwashing doesn't happen all at once. The more time poor Matt spends outside of the LDS echo-chamber and away from his family's influence, the closer he'll come to his, "Ah-ha! Moment."

One day, he'll realize how silly his statements in this interview sound.

Posted by: FFS | Apr 9, 2013 3:37:09 AM

4. He wants to marry. He will make a good and obedient wife. It is hard to find this kind of woman anymore.

Posted by: simon | Apr 9, 2013 6:23:25 AM

5. This guy is a real piece of work. I am amazed how parents can screw up their gay kids. Just walk out and be on your own, I did it. It's hard but at least your free.

Posted by: Speedieg | Apr 9, 2013 7:12:15 AM

6. If and when he wakes up, he'll hate his father for the rest of his life.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 9, 2013 8:04:03 AM

7. This kid is still a little brain-washed, probably from the reparative therapy. If his dad believed that his son needed to be "repaired", then of course his dad is a bigot. Come on. Stop taking up for your dad and face reality. You dad doesn't believe that you should be allowed to marry the one you love. That is bigotry.

Posted by: Kelly in Atlantic City | Apr 9, 2013 8:14:55 AM

8. Look, if his dad had only opposed marriage equality, I think the case could be made that he is not a bigot, well, not a total one. However, with his own son revealing his dad voted against gay adoption, and as far as everyone knows, still supports that vote, then yeah, he is very prejudiced.

I understand that he loves his dad, and in his own weird way, his day might love him. And I understand the son's desire to defend his dad- thats every kid. But he shouldn't be surprised when people do call his dad out, or question his prejudices, especially when they go beyond denying gay couples marriage. Frankly, if I were in his shoes, I would just release written statements saying I support my dad, and we have a good family. Doing all these tv interviews just invites more controversy and criticisms. Which may be all that he
    wants: attention and air time.

Posted by: scott | Apr 9, 2013 9:31:25 AM

9. Matt,your father wants it all his way-please do not embarrass me politically because this is so important to me.I would be embarrased for myself and my dad.

Posted by: Tom Nunnery | Apr 9, 2013 9:49:01 AM

10. Reporter: "Would you like your parents to one day attend your wedding?"

Matt Jr.: "Ya but I wouldn't want to put that burden on them."

The boy is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

The reporter also asked how he felt Rob Portman's support of his gay son. Jr. said, "Well...it took his dad time to get there." Ya. Two years of soul-searching and he's there, supporting his son 100%.
    Salmon Sr. and his wife found out about their son 11 years ago, sent him to "reparative" therapy and asked him to help make posters for their anti-gay amendments.
    After 11 years dad still doesn't support "the gay marriage." But he "loves" his son. Apparently they're "best friends."

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 9, 2013 9:56:40 AM

11. POLITICS GET IN THE WAY? IT IS MORE LIKE FAITH GETS IN THE WAY! WE ALL KNOW THIS – BUT SOME PEOPLE FEEL AS THOUGHT THEY ARE GOING TO HELL IF THEY SAY IT OUT LOUD.

ONCE AGAIN – PROOF FELLOW GAYS AND LEBIANS – RELIGION DOES NTO WANT YOU!

Posted by: GRivera | Apr 9, 2013 10:05:20 AM

12. 1. The sooner "reparative herapy" aka conversion therapy is made a criminal offence the better.

2.I saw the Dad of Kurt in "Glee" who seemed proud and loving of his gay son and stood up for him in public.

3. It seems that this son is trying to make up for the shame he has brought to his Dad/family. the sooner this boy grows up, the sooner he will develop some self-respect.
    This is pretty abject stuff when your boyfriend and your life is despised by a father who professes the contrary for public political consumption yet has a heart of self righteousness.

4. Again another of the "elect" putting doctrine above humane love.....putting his formulations from the missing Gold Plates of Joseph Smith above the love of his son....in his own formulations, he is damned.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 9, 2013 10:17:03 AM

13. Another thought :

Where is the boyfriend and what does he make of this denigration by the father of Matt of their relationship ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 9, 2013 10:29:12 AM

14. This is sad.Matt is totally brainwashed.What his father did to him is complete child abuse.

Posted by: Miguel | Apr 9, 2013 10:29:18 AM

15. I guess the guess the question Matt and other gay republicans need to start asking is, "What is it about ME that makes my family think I'd destroy the American Family if my life and love was ever socially legitimized?"

because whatever example of GAY it is that these Gay Republicans are embodying must be the reason republicans dont' support Equality.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 9, 2013 10:35:01 AM

16. Sniveling coward. No use for this clown.

Posted by: dcinsider | Apr 9, 2013 10:49:55 AM

17. For everyone who is interested in honestly knowing this guy, and the perspective he comes from, this is well worth watching:

We all have to find our own way. Matt chooses to extend his dad a lot of grace -- maybe more than I would -- because he loves him and values their relationship. I don't condemn him for it.

Posted by: Lars | Apr 9, 2013 10:56:39 AM

18. I have a natural distrust of Mormons, especially Mormon politicians; their loyalty is to their "Living Prophet". This kid will grow out of his current need to apologize and make excuses for his parents. He says they are not anti gay, he's still living under the brainwashing that you can do what ever you want to harm others if it's based on a god. It's not your fault, you have to do what god demands. Sorry, but they are anti gay bigots who have done, by their own choice, harm to many gay people and their friends. As of today, they are bad people, that might change down the road, but we need to judge them for who they are now, not who their son hopes they will be later. Lets see how they deal with his excommunication, if it already hasn't happened, it will if he marries.

Posted by: bayhuntr | Apr 9, 2013 11:20:51 AM

19. "You want to be a part of my life, I'm not editing out the parts you don't like. There's one more thing you better understand. I have taught myself to sew, cook, fix plumbing, build furniture - I can even pat myself on the back when necessary - all so I don't have to ask anyone for anything. There's nothing I need from anyone except for love and respect and anyone who can't give me those two things has no place in my life."

- Harvey Fierstein, Torch Song Trilogy

to Salmon and anyone else who finds themselves where he's found himself: those words are the key to affecting change.

Salmon's father will NEVER come around as long as his son refuses to give him a reason to.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 9, 2013 11:30:37 AM

20. Lars - you ignore one very important element: Matt's father has no intention of doing anything to ease the relationship with his son. This is why families like the Salmons never come around - when they gay members refuses to stand up for themselves, and heartily eats up the familial bigotry, the family has no reason to stop serving it.

any comments about "how he's just trying to keep the relationship" are ignoring that the dad doesn't give a bloody deal about doing the same.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 9, 2013 11:32:53 AM

21. This is very sad and pathetic. I hope this guy has a nice life in spite of all the shiz he's had to deal with.

Posted by: mikep | Apr 9, 2013 11:50:46 AM

22. Psychology Degree, third year medical student. Reparative therapy in college. I am happy he is feeling better about himself, and he has along way to go. The made up Mormon Cult has sure messed this family up.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 9, 2013 11:53:41 AM

23. how about "Dad, reparative therapy didn't work, and i tried it. how about you and mom try PFLAG meetings?"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 9, 2013 11:57:49 AM

24. Stockholm syndrome. Matt R. Salmon is a victim of child abuse. Such abuse should be considered a heinous crime. The son is going to be messed up mentally for years because of his family's-and in particular,his father's-abuse. I hope Matt R. will seek some psychological help to cope with what he has been through. Otherwise, he is going to be one, angry, confused, embittered man.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 9, 2013 12:17:34 PM

25. Jase - So you're saying that diversity is bad?

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 9, 2013 12:21:44 PM