Albuquerque | Catholic Church | New Mexico | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Catholic School Forcing Male Transgender Student to Wear Female Robe at Graduation: VIDEO

Garcia

An Albuquerque, New Mexico Catholic school is demanding that Damian Garcia, a trans student, wear a girl's gown to graduation. Damian was born Brandi Garcia but identifies as a male, had a name change last year, and is known as Damian to students, teachers, and his parents, but the Superintendent of Saint Pius insists he is a girl and must wear a white robe.

Damian's father is angry about the humiliating treatment, KRQE reports:

“I look at him and I call him my son. That's how he wishes to be acknowledged is as a male,” said father Luis Garcia.

The Saint Pius Superintendent tells KRQE News 13, Saint Pius goes by what the student's birth certificate says if there's any question on what gender-color they wear at graduation.

Says Damian: “I just want to walk in my black robe, nice and proud and have that memory to look back on with my family and friends. I would rather not walk than to embarrass myself by wearing a female robe.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Graduation gown a problem for transgender student

Comments

1. This young man has more courage and integrity and strength than nearly every grown-adult man I know in life.

Thats why stories about people like this young'un inspire such hatred from this site's resident cowards, and form bigots in general: the last thing they want to see is a "fringe outsider weirdo" with more spine and self-assurance than they'll ever have.

I stand in support with Damian. As any human being with a shred of integrity will do.

Those that don't - of course you don't. Your own family and community hates having to be related to your gay @ss, so of course you're gonna hate on a story where a young transgendered boy is supported by his own parents. He's loved and embraced, you're not, and so you come on here to express how jealous you are. Textbook.

ROCK. ON. DAMIAN.

Incidentally, as this is the International Day Against Homophobia & Transphobia, this is a heartwarming story to read. Our trans brothers and sisters need support and love, and to read this story of these parents LOVING who their child is....well...that's just bloody beautiful.

Terrific mom and dad, there.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 17, 2013 10:46:20 AM

2. @Not that Rob. That's my question. Why have different color robes at all? My high school didn't do that, nor my college, nor my grad school.

Posted by: james | May 17, 2013 10:51:51 AM

3. Not That Rob - The most sensible post of the day. Thinking back, my high school had one color robe for everyone. The fact that it was Kelly green is no credit, but we all wore the same robe.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 17, 2013 10:51:59 AM

4. Another sterling image for the Catholic Church, particularly the administration. When will Catholics understand that they are the Church? Not the bigots that run the institution. Stop with the money. See how long they hold out. Stop with any intimacy with your partner, if they insist on funding the organization. See how long they hold out.

Posted by: Michael | May 17, 2013 10:52:40 AM

5. Don't the male priests wear white robes on occasion? I don't get the color significance, they're all the same model robes. This is just petty and stupid and trying to make an example out of one person for nothing more than bigotry and hatred.

F*cking catholic officials have their heads firmly planted up their arses.

Posted by: johnny | May 17, 2013 10:53:32 AM

6. they wear different coloured robes so that they creaky old priests don't make a mistake and accidentally molest a female. because that would totes gross them out.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 17, 2013 10:54:43 AM

7. for William :

deut 22;5

The woman shall not wear that which pertains unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are an abomination unto the LORD your God.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 17, 2013 10:55:06 AM

8. Did Damian's father pay the school? Did they accept his money? If yes, then they WILL do what Damian and his father wants. Period, or give them their money back.

To Damian, my advise is this: Tell that ingrate school "Either you let me wear the black robe or I spray paint the white robe in rainbow colors. Your choice."

Posted by: RMc | May 17, 2013 10:57:46 AM

9. If the religious superior thought out the solution certainly lake stated above he would have all wear the same color. I prefer he have all student wear Pharisee robes. For fun lets throw in Sadducee and we can have a party.

Posted by: robertL | May 17, 2013 11:10:05 AM

10. Little Missy, you are no man and you never will be, nor will any of us who are men acknowledge you as such.

Wear a tie, cut your hair short, get a fake d!ck attached to yourself, smoke cigars, watch football games.....it will not matter.

You are not one of us and we will not accept you as one of us.

End of discussion.

Posted by: Rick | May 17, 2013 11:15:43 AM

11. "Don't the male priests wear white robes on occasion?"

Do a search for Pope and Prada and see what you get. I posted a link to a photo of Benedict wearing red prada shoes and white lace but Towleroad rejected it.

Is there a ban on posting links here?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 17, 2013 11:19:33 AM

12. the trolls are thick in here today. does anyone manufacture a troll repellent spray that works?

Posted by: bandanajack | May 17, 2013 11:22:29 AM

13. bandanajack - they exist only in the anonymity of the online world. not one of these trolls has the orbs to actually function around other gay people in society.

i love and accept my brothers and sisters of the trans community.

which gay men don't accept them? closet-cases like RICK who couldn't get f***ed even if they fell bottom-first onto a cock factory.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 17, 2013 11:30:48 AM

14. Catholic Church needs to be concerned with bikini's on the beach rather than gowns at graduation.
    Maybe Papa Frankie will rule on this one.

Posted by: robertL | May 17, 2013 11:39:36 AM

15. All the boys and girls should switch robes at graduation so ALL the boys are wearing white.

Posted by: BobN | May 17, 2013 11:53:29 AM

16. Funny. The only person siding with David Hearne is Ratbastard and Rick. Everyone on Towleroad who pays attention knows that that Ratbastard and David Hearne are aliases of Rick. So David Hearne is literally coming to his own defense. Because, as a troll, his opinions are awful and no compassionate, intelligent person would be so hostile to a transgendered youth.

What a miserable troll.

Posted by: MateoM | May 17, 2013 12:05:03 PM

17. LOL @ "...closet-cases like RICK who couldn't get f***ed even if they fell bottom-first onto a cock factory."

Get those bitches, Kiwi. LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 17, 2013 12:19:10 PM

18. mateom you are tiresome

Posted by: David Hearne | May 17, 2013 12:35:48 PM

19. David, that's probably the funniest, most ironic comment you've ever posted on here. I'll take it as a compliment.

Posted by: MateoM | May 17, 2013 12:44:19 PM

20. Hearne/Rick,

I hope you're using the royal "we" because you certainly don't speak for all of us with your misogynistic vitriol.

And, Hearne, what's tiresome is the proven fact that you have to use fake sock puppets to shore up your opinions.

Damian, keep fighting the good fight and don't let the rat bastards get you down.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | May 17, 2013 12:47:40 PM

21. Odd, given that this a religion where the men in power where dresses and over-the-top jewelry.

Posted by: Gry | May 17, 2013 12:55:04 PM

22. Odd, given that this a religion where the men in power where dresses and over-the-top jewelry.

Posted by: Gry | May 17, 2013 12:55:05 PM

23. Kiwi=MatteoM=DerrickFromPhilly

They are all the same loser.

Posted by: Michael | May 17, 2013 12:57:00 PM

24. The Superintendant's actions are petty and mean. Why would they even have a policy that dictates what color robe kids wear? It shouldn't even be an issue.

Posted by: Mick | May 17, 2013 12:59:16 PM

25. If you had asked me a few years ago, I would have supported this student. But the more I have read about trans activists and what they think of gay people, the more I realize that these people are not our friends or allies. They are extremely homophobic and see us as something to exploit for their own benefit. We are only useful to them for our money and for our organizations, which they want to control and use to push "trans rights" and not gay rights.

Read the trans blogs. It will really open your eyes.

Posted by: David | May 17, 2013 1:01:40 PM