Deaths | Music | News | Peter Rauhofer

DJ Peter Rauhofer Dies After Battle with Brain Tumor

Rauhofer

DJ Peter Rauhofer, whom we reported recently was battling a brain tumor, has died, according to a message posted on his official Facebook page by his manager, Angelo Russo:

Today the music industry has lost one of it's true heroes.

With a heavy heart I must now report that Peter Rauhofer has lost his battle with brain cancer.

He passed quietly today and is survived by his mother, Helga, who resides in Austria.

She will transport Peter back home to his final resting place there, but to all that knew Peter, his heart will always be in New York City.

It makes me sad, not only that I have lost a friend, but that the world has lost an amazing talent and that future generations will never get to understand the magic that Peter created night after night all over the world.

He is gone too soon but we will always have the vast body of music that Peter left for us.

Through his music, Peter will live forever. The brightest stars always burn out too soon. Peter, you were loved and you will be terribly missed. Goodbye my friend. Please rest in peace knowing that you have brought so much joy to so many of us. I ask that his true fans keep his legacy alive by sharing his music with anyone who may not have had the opportunity to experience it for themselves.

Rauhofer was 48.

Our thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Comments

1. Sorry for your loss Andy.

Posted by: Critifur | May 7, 2013 3:21:05 PM

2. Who? lol. His music is crappola gay anthem garbage. You have to be drunk to enjoy that wack sound.

Posted by: JCC | May 7, 2013 3:39:06 PM

3. I just loved his music!
    I know Montreal had a special place in his heart. And he made for some of my most memorable evenings and nights. I will miss him so much.

Posted by: Michel | May 7, 2013 3:57:55 PM

4. He should be buried in NYC. That was his home.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 7, 2013 4:51:24 PM

5. How, outside of dance halls can you discover DJ music? It's almost hidden from the general public.

I've never read an obituary that said "He died after a brave battle with a city bus while crossing the street..." so the language sticks out, but it's mostly a mangled way of saying "he died bravely facing his own mortality for several months".

Posted by: anon | May 7, 2013 4:56:28 PM

6. Sad for Peter's family.

On a general note, I think DJ's have ruined music.

Posted by: Adam | May 7, 2013 5:54:26 PM

7. Peter Rauhofer is an extremely talented music producer and a legend on the gay party circuit. If you don't know who he is, it's probably because you're a closet case or no one likes you enough to invite you to a party.

Posted by: ripper | May 7, 2013 6:47:13 PM

8. Was he gay?

Posted by: Billy Crytical | May 7, 2013 7:51:59 PM

9. https://soundcloud.com/workparties

Posted by: Michael | May 7, 2013 9:40:58 PM

10. He was the gay Moby.

Posted by: Doby Mick | May 8, 2013 12:49:41 AM

11. Thanks for sharing your talent. Rest in Peace Mr. Rauhofer! Your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers!

Posted by: Bryson | May 8, 2013 3:02:49 AM

12. Gay party circuit. And I'm not one of the hip in-crowd. That's why I never heard of the dude. Plus I never like cocaine, MDMA, that much and have never smoked or used meth. Plus I DESPISE Eurotrash and Eurotrash wannabes. I guess these are the reasons why I never get invited to all the cool gay circuit parties, Ripper.

Anyway, he was a human being and had a mom and friends who loved him, so R.I.P.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 8, 2013 8:12:43 AM

13. He was a talented DJ, and I'm sorry to hear about his early demise.

He also had a knack for horning in on charity-organized party weekends, the interests of the charity be damned. This was particularly the case with recent Miami White and Winter Parties, when his privately produced Sunday night dances either put the charity event out of business altogether or a significant dent in the funds it raised. A selfish mark on an otherwise bright career.

Posted by: Douglas | May 8, 2013 11:51:10 AM

14. More than 500 remixes (and substantial original work) dating back to the 80's. Let's also not forget his Grammy win along with two additional Grammy nominations. The man had immense talent.

Posted by: JT | May 8, 2013 4:12:50 PM

15. I gotta say though that he was hot. He'd probably have never looked at fat bald guy like me. It makes me bitter.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 8, 2013 6:51:28 PM