Crime | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gang of Teens Attacks Gay Man in NYC's Prospect Park in Homophobic Hate Crime

A gang of at least four teens age 13-18 who may have been drinking attacked Kevin Kiadii, a 25-year-old gay freelance make-up artist, in Brooklyn's Prospect Park on Wednesday night and were arrested at the scene, CBS2 reports.

KiadiiThe trouble began when Kiadii encountered the teens, he says:

As a gesture of kindness, Kiadii said he offered one of them a bottle of soda.

“The shortest one out of them, he was a hot head, he jumped in my face and started saying anti-gay slurs,” Kiadii said.

He said that one took on a fighting stance, and Kiadii told them they should back away.

“When I said that, the one that was really intoxicated jumped into my face and said ‘I’m going to [expletive] you up’ and do this and ‘you F and [expletive],’ and I went into my bag, and pulled out my bottle of perfume, to imitate pepper spray,” Kiadii said.

Kiadii said he received mainly bruises and cuts:

“One of the dudes tried to kick me in the face, but just missed and he got me in my shoulder,” Kiadii said.

The victim said he was able to quickly dial 911 on his phone and hand it to a bystander, but police who were nearby were already responding, taking four into custody.

Kiadii is the 10th victim of an anti-gay hate crime in NYC this month.

Comments

1. Out of curiosity, who randomly offers a stranger a bottle of soda?

In any case, sad.

Posted by: David | May 31, 2013 6:40:22 PM

2. But I thought New York City was such a gay-friendly place. Or so say the liberals....

Posted by: Brent | May 31, 2013 6:40:57 PM

3. Oh.

Posted by: Krajci | May 31, 2013 6:42:43 PM

4. @David, because they were obviously thirsty for attention.

*Z-SNAP*

Posted by: sky | May 31, 2013 6:47:43 PM

5. "As a gesture of kindness, Kiadii said he offered one of them a bottle of soda." What a creep.

" "and I went into my bag, and pulled out my bottle of perfume, to imitate pepper spray,” "
    If this creep was going to carry a purse, he might as well have carried an actual can of pepper spray, but instead he carries a perfume bottle. Cry me a river.

Also is this the same guy suing "Elmo" for sexual abuse?

Posted by: HKfCA | May 31, 2013 6:51:15 PM

6. Gesture of kindness? Or gesture of stupidity.

I think I know.

Posted by: Dr. Pepper | May 31, 2013 6:51:22 PM

7. Well, at least the police were close buy since perfume isn't usually recognized as an effective weapon.

Posted by: BearlyBob | May 31, 2013 7:05:03 PM

8. God, what a snarling bunch of troll queens. One is scoffing at liberals, as if he hasn't benefited from their work on his behalf. So STFU. The others - check yourselves. I'm just grateful he's ok and the cops were there. What a rotten group of people you sound like.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | May 31, 2013 7:09:25 PM

9. "Reach in your purse, take out Channel, in reality it's mace... She's Tyler Moore, she's Mary..." I guess those lyrics were based on reality. Thanks Franklin Fuentes : )

Posted by: cdubois | May 31, 2013 7:09:40 PM

10. "Clockwork Orange" arrives against gays.

Posted by: Josh | May 31, 2013 7:13:42 PM

11. Ages 13-18? But...but...but...I thought young people that age were supposedly gay accepting.

As negative as this will sound, I am always glad to hear about instances of homophobia perpetrated by young people, because it contradicts them notion that so-called "millennials" are uber gay friendly -- which is an idea that too many in the gay community have very callously thrown about, thinking that utopia is upon us. I am around college aged kids every day and they are the same today as they were when I was 18...still calling people f@gs, snickering about people being gay, using "gay" as an insult, avoiding association with those who are, and sometimes violating reacting.

Television, mass media and so-called "polling data" has snowed people into thinking other wise, in a blatant attempt to manipulate a change in tide. I know better.

Posted by: Miguel A. Mendoza | May 31, 2013 7:19:39 PM

12. Probably white christian evangelicals from Iowa or something.

Posted by: Kev C | May 31, 2013 7:23:45 PM

13. These gay bashing incidents are very disturbing. But what's even more disturbing to me are some of the comments above and others I've been seeing for quite a while here on this site.

The other day, Andy had to disable comments because of people spewing vitriol and I noticed today that Andy himself posted comments to clarify something about a post mainly because of the inane and uneducated opinions that were starting to populate that section.

I've been an avid reader of Towleroad since its inception and I think Andy and his staff do a great job of covering diverse subjects of interest to the gay community. Guess what? Some posts are not going to be of interest to everybody. Here's a novel idea: skip that story or don't read it and move on to the next story. Or how about this? Write an intelligent, critical response about the post without resorting to racism or your own internalized homophobia. I love how people have a compelling urge to tell Towleroad how to be Towleroad. Sometimes Andy's posts have nothing to do with being gay. Some posts include straight people and various celebs who may or may not be of interest to you. Shocker! By the way, I don't work for Towleroad. Just thought I'd clear that up.

I hesitated to even comment because I know that in many instances trolls post hateful comments to agitate and hope for a response, thus drawing attention to themselves. Kind of like Ann Coulter. What a sad, sad existence.

Posted by: David | May 31, 2013 7:52:30 PM

14. Snarky, bitchy comments as per usual here, even in response to something serious.

One might just as well read Manhunt Daily.

Posted by: SBC | May 31, 2013 7:58:49 PM

15. @ David

" Here's a novel idea: skip that story or don't read it and move on to the next story. Or how about this? Write an intelligent, critical response about the post without resorting to racism or your own internalized homophobia."

" I love how people have a compelling urge to tell Towleroad how to be Towleroad."

Posted by: HKfCA | May 31, 2013 8:00:41 PM

16. Thanks, David.

Posted by: Zlick | May 31, 2013 8:19:52 PM

17. Pity you can't control the world David. The beauty of this site is the diversity of thought. Good or bad. If you want everyone to agree respond to yourself. And stop throwing Andy's name around l like you're old Army buddies. I'm sorry gay life isn't the oil painting you have painted. That one dried long ago. No one elected you spokesperson of anything.

Posted by: VT | May 31, 2013 8:27:35 PM

18. Frankly, Andy, I don't see the point of opening comments on many of your posts. It really just invites trolling. What dignified comment could anyone offer on a story like this other than, "I hope the person who suffered is recovering" or "I hope justice is served." You might like to check out the Guardian and other reliable European news outlets. They disable comments on many of their news stories, but open moderated comments. The posters are generally much more thoughtful than some of the posters that have taken to posting racist and self-loathing comments on your blog. Of course, if your aim is to have the blog equivalent of a tabloid talk show, by all means keep the posts open. Reading the trolls is about as entertaining as watching Jerry Springer.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | May 31, 2013 8:38:05 PM

19. Aham Lambert of Emerican Edol fame, used to attacked his boifiend. Ghay on Ghay violence efexx us all! ARREST GHAYS ON HATE CRIMES! Don't seen those hetors to jail! When dos kweers act af fools, and **** KANWAY WEST IN THE BEHIND! p i t t y the f o o ls as Meester Tea say!

Posted by: Quaseem Shabazz Farrakhan-WrigleyField | May 31, 2013 8:56:49 PM

20. Some comments are extremely disturbing. I am a college student, and what Miguel A. Mendoza is totally a lie. We are more tolerant than those so called greater generations. What a stupid way to smear millennial.

Posted by: Tool | May 31, 2013 9:18:49 PM

21. "Television, mass media and so-called "polling data" has snowed people into thinking other wise, in a blatant attempt to manipulate a change in tide"
    Where do you see the polling that shows older generations are more tolerant? None. Go back to closet,Miguel A. Mendoza.

Posted by: Tool | May 31, 2013 9:21:38 PM

22. Is there actual video of him saying "I reached into my bag and took out my perfume?" If not, I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I highly doubt anyone with an ounce of self-reflection would fail to realize how ridiculous that would sound.
    And I agree with the posters who find it odd that a gay man is handing out soda (candy) to such young boys.

Posted by: FakeOutrage | May 31, 2013 9:50:47 PM

23. I hate people blaming the victim. I don't care if he took out his magic sparkly sequined fairy wand to change them into day-glo unicorns, he didn't deserve this.

Posted by: Scott | May 31, 2013 9:59:21 PM

24. "Here's a novel idea:"

David,

Here's a novel idea- be honest with yourself and figure out that the reality doesn't match your philosophy and never has. We gave Flower Power a try. "Come on people now, smile at your brother..." well that's not my brother out there, it's an animal and it wants to rob and/or kill me.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 31, 2013 10:25:38 PM

25. And why must we become the "victims" of our own posts? Last I heard this was the United States, and we have Freedom of Speech. If you can't handle comments, you'll be needing a much a stronger spine to survive what could be ahead.

Posted by: VT | May 31, 2013 10:26:02 PM