Crime | New York | News

Gay Man Beaten in Hate Crime Assault in NYC's Hell's Kitchen

Lovendusky

Another anti-gay hate crime has reportedly occurred in NYC's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.

Alan Bounville, of the activist group Queer Rising, reports:

Last night, Friday, May 24th, a group of 9-10 men attacked one of my dearest friends, Eugene Lovendusky. They yelled "faggot" at Eugene as he was punched in the jaw. There have been a half-dozen, publicized violent anti-queer crimes in New York City in May 2013, including the cold-blooded murder of Mark Carson, 32, for being a "faggot."

Adds Scott Wooledge on Facebook:

This hits home as I know this man personally. There have been a spree of anti-gay hate crimes in New York City this month. As people are unable to enforce their bigotry by laws and policies, they will turn to expressing their impotent hate on the streets.

I can't do much to help make the world safer for my friends. But I have a platform, and I'm sending out this message to gay bashers: "You can kick us. You can punch us. You can shoot us dead as you did Mark Carson and Harvey Milk. But the LGBT community will not go back to the days before Stonewall Riots and DADT repeal. We will not abandon our righteous claim to be treated equally under the US Constitution and the laws of our states. You will lose eventually.

(via tncrm)

Comments

1. Can someone do some straight-up reporting on this? From the posts we're linking to, it seems a few basic questions are unanswered, the who, what, when, where.

Where did this occur? What time? Who were the perps? Was the violence reported? Are the NYPD taking action?

And, what was the scenario?

I'm all for internet memes, but there's something odd about the way this particular event is being reported. Let's correct that.

Posted by: GMB | May 26, 2013 11:33:54 AM

2. A search for that name (Eugene Lovendusky) brings no article about his being attacked. I sincerely hope we don't have our own Tawana Brawley here.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 26, 2013 11:54:09 AM

3. Ok, NYC gay folk, why aren't you carrying pepper spray with you??? If I'm in NY and there's a new story every week of a gay person being attacked or murdered...I'M NOT LEAVING THE HOUSE W/O SOME F**KING PEPPER SPRAY!

Posted by: daws | May 26, 2013 11:57:57 AM

4. A question for New Yorkers: Is it legal to carry firearms in NYC? Legal but difficult? A few well-aimed holes in attackers will go a long way to curb this nonsense.

Posted by: plinx | May 26, 2013 12:03:03 PM

5. "And eventually we LGBT people will meet our respective Gods with our hands clean of blood"

(groan) Just stick to the facts. It doesn't do out cause any good to be stereotypical drama queens.

Posted by: andy | May 26, 2013 12:07:47 PM

6. Yes, some of these 'bashings' sound suspicious to me. It's like when surveys are done asking certain minorities if they've experienced 'hate' or discrimination, and many respond with stories about people 'looking' at them the wrong way. 99% BS. Although I also think genuine assaults based on sexual orientation [perceived or otherwise, mostly guys who're so-called fem] are very under-reported not just in NYC but everywhere.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 26, 2013 12:08:19 PM

7. NYC strictly regulates firearms. It's very difficult to get a firearms license, even more difficult to get a concealed. NYC bans many other 'weapons', too, like most knives, pellet guns, airsoft guns, pepper spray [requires license], etc.

Of course people who disregard the law can easily get their hands on firearms and everything else. It really only affects law abiding people.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 26, 2013 12:17:01 PM

8. @ andy:
    Agreed. I wonder if FB just makes it easier to be melodramatic.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | May 26, 2013 12:25:05 PM

9. Passivity never works

Posted by: Tyler | May 26, 2013 12:30:44 PM

10. Ratbastard,

You only managed to introduce one of your two irrelevant obsessions to this thread. In addition to your racist crap, shouldn't you add a Little Kiwi non-sequitur?

Posted by: Brian1 | May 26, 2013 12:33:38 PM

11. Pepper spray or even a gun is going to do sweet F.A. when an LGBT victim is being jumped by a group of people, such as the 9-10 attackers here. If the attackers find the gun after knocking down the victim, they may even use it on her/him. It's not incumbent on nor is it feasible for lgbt people to behave like marked men in the wild west. It requires better policing and a better educated society.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | May 26, 2013 1:12:44 PM

12. I'm confused if this is such a huge thing, the beating on May 24th...why can't I find any other reports on it? When I search, only this site comes up.

Posted by: justme | May 26, 2013 2:12:27 PM

13. Ah yes, the "your gun is more likely to be used on you" myth.

I tell you what. If you want to walk around without the means to protect yourself you do it. I hope it works out for you. As for me and mine, we're armed.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 26, 2013 2:19:14 PM

14. @daws I was about to comment that everyone needs to carry pepper spray when I saw you already did. Found it at the Army/Navy on 8th St bet 5th/6th, probably at some others.

The only way we're going to stop these animals is if a few get blinded/hurt while trying to bash us. It's the only language they speak. Then we need publicize their experiences after they discover that the actual horror of gay sex is when they land in prison for years.

Posted by: Jeff | May 26, 2013 2:20:29 PM

15. @LetSodomRing You're absolutely right that the overall problem requires better policing and a better educated society, and pepper spray could possibly be used against the victim. But police aren't everywhere, & thugs creep through despite society's education.

In many or most cases, a bashing is preceded by catcalling or some other verbal threats. That's the time to grab the pepper spray and be ready. Even if it's multiple thugs, chances are they will flee if they see a buddy or two is blinded (or at least switch their focus to help him, allowing you to blind those bastards or run to safety).

Posted by: Jeff | May 26, 2013 2:32:35 PM

16. @Jeff
    Sex in prison is rarely gay sex. It's rape. I know you meant well with fighting back but as a culture and society we should never condone rape.

Posted by: JONES | May 26, 2013 2:36:10 PM

17. From NY1:

A Manhattan teenager is facing hate crime charges after he allegedly assaulted a co-founder of a local gay rights group in Hell's Kitchen yesterday.
    Manuel Riquelme, 19, is charged with hate crime and aggravated harassment after allegedly hitting Eugene Lovendusky, 28, a Queens resident and co-founder of Queer Rising, an LGBT rights and advocacy group.

Police say the alleged assault took place at 3 a.m. Saturday on West 42nd Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues.

At the time, authorities say Lovendusky and his boyfriend and another friend were leaving the XL nightclub and walking towards a nearby subway stop.

Police say a group of nine teenagers, including Riquelme, passed the group of three men and started calling them anti-gay slurs.

Riquelme allegedly slapped Lovendusky in the face and knocked off the victim's glasses, according to police.

After the alleged incident, Lovendusky called police and officers found the teens in a pizzeria at West 40th Street and Ninth Avenue.

Lovendusky did not seek medical attention.

The incident is being investigated as a bias assault, according to police.

None of the other teenagers who accompanied Riquelme are facing charges, according to police.

Posted by: Skeptic+Experience=Cynic | May 26, 2013 3:08:13 PM

18. So it was a slap fight?

Posted by: Cynic | May 26, 2013 3:11:04 PM

19. "And eventually we LGBT people will meet our respective Gods with our hands clean of blood."

What does that even mean?

Posted by: John | May 26, 2013 3:23:27 PM

20. Sorry but I have to start commenting on this. Obviously, there's now a war going on against us. And seeing these types of articles (in addition to massive protests against gay marriage in France) has riled me up again. The fact that the violence has spiked up shows that it's starting to get physical.

Personally speaking. I am at the point where I will retaliate if anyone tries anything with me or any of my friends. And I don't care what the end result will be. It's time to start standing up. And I'm not talking peaceful, loving marches that extend flowers in hand when they want to toss us to the wolves. Sorry, everyone, but I'm getting to think Malcolm X had a very good point. (Not suggesting the MLK wasn't a great man himself.) But it looks like it's getting time to start becoming assertive. Physically.

Posted by: MickyFlip | May 26, 2013 3:43:56 PM

21. I've lived in NYC for a total of 12 years and have never encountered homophobia. That was until last week and since then I've experienced it twice. Both times have been when I've been outnumbered and both times have come from wanna-be thugs.

And pepper spray? What the hell is that going to do? Sure, give me just one chance to take a guy on one on one and let's see what happens to him but I've dealt with thugs before and they've NEVER man enough to take on another man unless he has a weapon or a few friends with him.

Posted by: Michael | May 26, 2013 3:45:11 PM

22. btw, maybe I'm wrong here but all but one instance has involved a latino, and maybe a black, man of the gang-related age. Call it a conspiracy theory but I'd bet there's a movement in the gangs that are now specifically targeting gay men in NYC.

Posted by: Michael | May 26, 2013 3:47:04 PM

23. "You can kick us. You can punch us. You can shoot us dead as you did Mark Carson and Harvey Milk. But the LGBT community will not go back to the days before Stonewall Riots and DADT repeal. We will not abandon our righteous claim to be treated equally under the US Constitution and the laws of our states. You will lose eventually.

Oh, God. This just kind of sums up the problem with the entire gay movement and the entire mentality of gay male culture.

What is so pathetic is that so many of you have thought and continue to think that passing laws is going to solve any of our problems.

It won't, of course.

Because if other men disrespect you, no law is ever going to do you any good....and neither is pepper spray......and neither are "bloodless" "Gods".

Go on behaving effeminately and go on being physical cowards and other men will feel nothing but comtempt for you and will express that contempt in whatever way they see fit. They will never accept you as equals or respect you as men.

On the other hand, decide to be men--which means standing up for yourself and learning how to fight--and they will begin to have respect for you.

That is the ONLY solution and it is entirely your choice whether you will do what it takes or will continue not to.

Posted by: Rick | May 26, 2013 4:00:24 PM

24. "maybe I'm wrong here but all but one instance has involved a latino"

.....the vast majority of whom are either in the country illegally or the children of illegals......

You know, the very people some of you are trying to provide with a "pathway to citizenship" to reward them for having broken our laws......

Posted by: Rick | May 26, 2013 4:06:01 PM

25. All that said, you need to remember that I'm not even man enough to put a face to myself on internet comments. Because I'm pretty much the biggest wimp of all. Feel free to ignore me. Everyone else in my life does.

Posted by: Rick | May 26, 2013 4:10:05 PM