Gay Man Beaten in Hate Crime Assault in NYC’s Hell’s Kitchen

Lovendusky

Another anti-gay hate crime has reportedly occurred in NYC's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.

Alan Bounville, of the activist group Queer Rising, reports:

Last night, Friday, May 24th, a group of 9-10 men attacked one of my dearest friends, Eugene Lovendusky. They yelled "faggot" at Eugene as he was punched in the jaw. There have been a half-dozen, publicized violent anti-queer crimes in New York City in May 2013, including the cold-blooded murder of Mark Carson, 32, for being a "faggot."

Adds Scott Wooledge on Facebook:

This hits home as I know this man personally. There have been a spree of anti-gay hate crimes in New York City this month. As people are unable to enforce their bigotry by laws and policies, they will turn to expressing their impotent hate on the streets.

I can't do much to help make the world safer for my friends. But I have a platform, and I'm sending out this message to gay bashers: "You can kick us. You can punch us. You can shoot us dead as you did Mark Carson and Harvey Milk. But the LGBT community will not go back to the days before Stonewall Riots and DADT repeal. We will not abandon our righteous claim to be treated equally under the US Constitution and the laws of our states. You will lose eventually.

And eventually we LGBT people will meet our respective Gods with our hands clean of blood."

(via tncrm)

Comments

1. GMB says

Can someone do some straight-up reporting on this? From the posts we’re linking to, it seems a few basic questions are unanswered, the who, what, when, where.

Where did this occur? What time? Who were the perps? Was the violence reported? Are the NYPD taking action?

And, what was the scenario?

I’m all for internet memes, but there’s something odd about the way this particular event is being reported. Let’s correct that.

2. David Hearne says

A search for that name (Eugene Lovendusky) brings no article about his being attacked. I sincerely hope we don’t have our own Tawana Brawley here.

3. daws says

Ok, NYC gay folk, why aren’t you carrying pepper spray with you??? If I’m in NY and there’s a new story every week of a gay person being attacked or murdered…I’M NOT LEAVING THE HOUSE W/O SOME F**KING PEPPER SPRAY!

4. plinx says

A question for New Yorkers: Is it legal to carry firearms in NYC? Legal but difficult? A few well-aimed holes in attackers will go a long way to curb this nonsense.

5. andy says

“And eventually we LGBT people will meet our respective Gods with our hands clean of blood”

(groan) Just stick to the facts. It doesn’t do out cause any good to be stereotypical drama queens.

6. ratbastard says

Yes, some of these ‘bashings’ sound suspicious to me. It’s like when surveys are done asking certain minorities if they’ve experienced ‘hate’ or discrimination, and many respond with stories about people ‘looking’ at them the wrong way. 99% BS. Although I also think genuine assaults based on sexual orientation [perceived or otherwise, mostly guys who’re so-called fem] are very under-reported not just in NYC but everywhere.

7. ratbastard says

NYC strictly regulates firearms. It’s very difficult to get a firearms license, even more difficult to get a concealed. NYC bans many other ‘weapons’, too, like most knives, pellet guns, airsoft guns, pepper spray [requires license], etc.

Of course people who disregard the law can easily get their hands on firearms and everything else. It really only affects law abiding people.

8. Brian1 says

Ratbastard,

You only managed to introduce one of your two irrelevant obsessions to this thread. In addition to your racist crap, shouldn’t you add a Little Kiwi non-sequitur?

9. LetSodomRing says

Pepper spray or even a gun is going to do sweet F.A. when an LGBT victim is being jumped by a group of people, such as the 9-10 attackers here. If the attackers find the gun after knocking down the victim, they may even use it on her/him. It’s not incumbent on nor is it feasible for lgbt people to behave like marked men in the wild west. It requires better policing and a better educated society.

10. justme says

I’m confused if this is such a huge thing, the beating on May 24th…why can’t I find any other reports on it? When I search, only this site comes up.

11. David Hearne says

Ah yes, the “your gun is more likely to be used on you” myth.

I tell you what. If you want to walk around without the means to protect yourself you do it. I hope it works out for you. As for me and mine, we’re armed.

12. Jeff says

@daws I was about to comment that everyone needs to carry pepper spray when I saw you already did. Found it at the Army/Navy on 8th St bet 5th/6th, probably at some others.

The only way we’re going to stop these animals is if a few get blinded/hurt while trying to bash us. It’s the only language they speak. Then we need publicize their experiences after they discover that the actual horror of gay sex is when they land in prison for years.

13. Jeff says

@LetSodomRing You’re absolutely right that the overall problem requires better policing and a better educated society, and pepper spray could possibly be used against the victim. But police aren’t everywhere, & thugs creep through despite society’s education.

In many or most cases, a bashing is preceded by catcalling or some other verbal threats. That’s the time to grab the pepper spray and be ready. Even if it’s multiple thugs, chances are they will flee if they see a buddy or two is blinded (or at least switch their focus to help him, allowing you to blind those bastards or run to safety).

14. JONES says

@Jeff
    Sex in prison is rarely gay sex. It’s rape. I know you meant well with fighting back but as a culture and society we should never condone rape.

15. Skeptic+Experience=Cynic says

From NY1:

A Manhattan teenager is facing hate crime charges after he allegedly assaulted a co-founder of a local gay rights group in Hell’s Kitchen yesterday.
    Manuel Riquelme, 19, is charged with hate crime and aggravated harassment after allegedly hitting Eugene Lovendusky, 28, a Queens resident and co-founder of Queer Rising, an LGBT rights and advocacy group.

Police say the alleged assault took place at 3 a.m. Saturday on West 42nd Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues.

At the time, authorities say Lovendusky and his boyfriend and another friend were leaving the XL nightclub and walking towards a nearby subway stop.

Police say a group of nine teenagers, including Riquelme, passed the group of three men and started calling them anti-gay slurs.

Riquelme allegedly slapped Lovendusky in the face and knocked off the victim’s glasses, according to police.

After the alleged incident, Lovendusky called police and officers found the teens in a pizzeria at West 40th Street and Ninth Avenue.

Lovendusky did not seek medical attention.

The incident is being investigated as a bias assault, according to police.

None of the other teenagers who accompanied Riquelme are facing charges, according to police.

16. MickyFlip says

Sorry but I have to start commenting on this. Obviously, there’s now a war going on against us. And seeing these types of articles (in addition to massive protests against gay marriage in France) has riled me up again. The fact that the violence has spiked up shows that it’s starting to get physical.

Personally speaking. I am at the point where I will retaliate if anyone tries anything with me or any of my friends. And I don’t care what the end result will be. It’s time to start standing up. And I’m not talking peaceful, loving marches that extend flowers in hand when they want to toss us to the wolves. Sorry, everyone, but I’m getting to think Malcolm X had a very good point. (Not suggesting the MLK wasn’t a great man himself.) But it looks like it’s getting time to start becoming assertive. Physically.

17. Michael says

I’ve lived in NYC for a total of 12 years and have never encountered homophobia. That was until last week and since then I’ve experienced it twice. Both times have been when I’ve been outnumbered and both times have come from wanna-be thugs.

And pepper spray? What the hell is that going to do? Sure, give me just one chance to take a guy on one on one and let’s see what happens to him but I’ve dealt with thugs before and they’ve NEVER man enough to take on another man unless he has a weapon or a few friends with him.

18. Michael says

btw, maybe I’m wrong here but all but one instance has involved a latino, and maybe a black, man of the gang-related age. Call it a conspiracy theory but I’d bet there’s a movement in the gangs that are now specifically targeting gay men in NYC.

19. Rick says

And eventually we LGBT people will meet our respective Gods with our hands clean of blood.”

Oh, God. This just kind of sums up the problem with the entire gay movement and the entire mentality of gay male culture.

What is so pathetic is that so many of you have thought and continue to think that passing laws is going to solve any of our problems.

It won’t, of course.

Because if other men disrespect you, no law is ever going to do you any good….and neither is pepper spray……and neither are “bloodless” “Gods”.

Go on behaving effeminately and go on being physical cowards and other men will feel nothing but comtempt for you and will express that contempt in whatever way they see fit. They will never accept you as equals or respect you as men.

On the other hand, decide to be men–which means standing up for yourself and learning how to fight–and they will begin to have respect for you.

That is the ONLY solution and it is entirely your choice whether you will do what it takes or will continue not to.

20. Rick says

“maybe I’m wrong here but all but one instance has involved a latino”

…..the vast majority of whom are either in the country illegally or the children of illegals……

You know, the very people some of you are trying to provide with a “pathway to citizenship” to reward them for having broken our laws……

21. Rick says

All that said, you need to remember that I’m not even man enough to put a face to myself on internet comments. Because I’m pretty much the biggest wimp of all. Feel free to ignore me. Everyone else in my life does.

22. Edward says

“Love Defeating Hate” is so advertising agency. Where is this love? Sadly. this violence is the back lash from too much gay exposure,
    and the GLAAD honorees certainly won’t be the victims.

23. Jeff says

@Rick Unless you were just being ironic or a troll in your first of three comments, saying “decide to be men [by] learning how to fight” would do little good even for 1 or 2 tough straight guys confronted by a swarm of four or more thugs.

@Michael Pepper spray will even things out a bit, and unlike many other weapons, won’t kill you if they’re somehow able to grab it & use it against you.

24. Rick says

@Jeff Only the first two comments were mine. Obviously, the third was from Little Kiwi posting as an impostor, using my name, as he often does.

As for your point about being confronted by a gang, yes, you are right.

However, a) most attacks on gay men are one-on-one, not gang attacks–and they almost never fight back in those instances, either (look back through the Towleroad archives and find a single example to the contrary, if you can), and b) the attacks generally only occur because the “victim” is obviously gay to begin with–i.e. is behaving effeminately–so if he were not behaving in such a manner, the attack would never have occurred.

Effeminacy and cowardice go hand-in-hand and potential attackers know this, as do men in general.

And until gay men discard the culture of effeminacy which is the cause of both, then problems will continue.

25. Brian1 says

@Jeff,

Rick just made all of that up. He has no idea if the victims were behaving effeminately, but he does think all gay men except him are “femmes” so he’s jumped to that conclusion. And most of the attacks involve more than one attacker. Rick just said it’s always a single attacker to make the victim look like the loser Rick thinks all victims are, but it’s not true.

26. Rick says

For example, I’ve never been gay bashed. Now, I’m also not out of the closet and never leave my apartment, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’ve never been gay bashed.
    But I need to correct myself, I didn’t mean to say “effeminacy and cowardice go hand-in-hand” as it’s more than obvious from my postings and the comments of guys like me that it’s actually anti-effeminacy and cowardice that go hand-in-hand.

Because, as you loyal lemmings of the liberal left have noticed, we self-professed masculine gay men who hate effeminate gay men can’t put a face to our claims and live by any sort of example.

For two very specific reasons; we’re not actually masculine, even by our own narrow definitions, and we’re completely closeted cowards.

We’re a pretty miserable crew.

I’d kill myself but the last thing I want to do is anything that would make my dad happy.

27. brian says

Liberals attack us again, with the aid of women. You’ll find that the thugs who did this are from the Democratic Party-voting demographic.

28. J Y says

Why are all the recent hate crimes being committed by Latinos? Is there something I am missing? Aside from the one at MSG they are all hispanic.

29. NewGay says

He looks like a gay basher. Have you been on his site? He sports that bald headed look which is so dated and unattractive. He’s obviously not USA pretty gay, that’s for sure. He manages the war from across the border. His perception is a bit warped, but always welcome. It’s cliche militant angry, and very stubborn about being right.. Sound familiar?

30. Polyboy says

Yes, David Hearne, unless you’re packing grenades, your precious penis pistol hits one… it’s not even a guaranteed kill unless you’re so delusional you think you can headshot someone in the dark under duress.

The Punisher is a fictional character.

31. James says

…my proof? In two simple words: Rosa Parks.

If you think she shoulda been packin’ heat to solve her ‘whites-only’ problem do you even for one moment think we’d have a president today?

So get to the roll, troll.

32. will b says

PEPPER SPRAY DOES NOT REQUIRE A LICENSE!!!!
    Stop by Arrow Pharmacy on 58th St. and 9th Ave. They have small sprayers for about $15. Perfectly legal.

Please guys, stop posting “facts” that aren’t facts.

33. will b says

I spoke with a friend who’s a former cop, and word on the street is that the Dominican gangs are now sending wannabe thugs down to midtown and downtown to “beat up a fag” as part of their initiation. Pepper spray is better than nothing, but please know enough self defense (knee-capping and upper cut, also groin kick) to get yourself a 15- or 20-second lead time to run like hell and scream for help.
    ps – that said, it’s VERY concerning that this happened on 42nd St. in prime tourist area.

34. Kev C says

Pepper spray is not very useful. I’ve used it a few times on homophobes. Usually they will get angry and charge at you. If you insist on using it, spray and jump away.

35. will b says

I do, Kev C. I do insist on using it. It’s just one tool of many you can use to protect yourself. Please tell us more about your experiences using it.

36. Kev C says

I remember spraying one drunk guy. He laid down for a few moments because the spray burns more when you’re drunk. And then he hunted me for an hour while I laughed at his drunken derangement. But don’t expect everyone to be as incapacitated drunk.

37. millerbeach says

I had a friend who was robbed on the subway in Chicago, with the robbers using pepper spray on HIM! This won’t be the last hate crime guys, so prepare. Travel in groups. Know your surroundings. If suddenly confronted by a gang, yell FIRE! at the top of your lungs. You will confuse the perps and most likely garner a lot of attention. People do not like to be on fire. You will get more eyes and witnesses than you could ever imagine. Remember, yell FIRE! It works every time.

38. Jeff says

Anyone exiting a gay bar is a potential victim, however femme or butch they may appear, and even if they’re just walking in a gay area like Christopher St or Hell’s Kitchen.

39. alex says

I know how to fight and defend myself and I am GAY. I am not entirely a fan of Scott’s message. This needs to stop!! Whether it be pepper spray or taking a self defence class! We have the right to walk down the street and feel safe in our space!! Anyone who attempts to assault me will be in for one HELL OF A SURPRISE! I am not a violent person but I REFUSE to be victimized!!

40. James says

New Yawk is becoming a hot bed of homophobia. It’s off because the political leadership in New Yawk is very progressive. And Quinn could very well become the city’s first lesbian mayor.

41. Chuck Mielke says

Reality, the fact we exist, and the courage of truth will always defeat hatred, which is ultimately self-defeating in any case. The haters almost always hate something in themselves.

42. David Black-Downes says

As a young Gay man living in the Castro back in the late seventies, we had a campaign to encourage everyone to wear a whistle around their neck. When you heard one blowing, everyone came pouring out of bars and apartments to come to the rescue. Perhaps it’s time to start that campaign again in NYC

43. ratbastard says

Where would TR be without ‘Rick’ to get outraged over? Hmmm? Yeah, exactly.

#Mr. Raymond Miller of Toronto

Before you once again repeat your mantra about posters putting all their private info and life history up on the internet, I’d suggest you read what Eric Schmidt recently had to say about people putting too much private info online and how young people will regret putting so much private stuff online. It can’t be deleted. It’s there forever. And there are unscrupulous people who commit things such as identity fraud, among other things. Just because you’re stupid enough to post your life history online doesn’t mean everybody should follow.

44. ratbastard says

@David Black-Downes,

How did you hear a whistle over the beat of cheesy disco music? Seriously, I’m being serious and trying to find a little humor all at the same time.

45. says

Eugene is a freakin’ awesome man and I’m heartened to hear that the hateful brat who assaulted him has been arrested.

And knowing Eugene, this will no way make him slink back into the darkness. If anything, it’ll make his fire burn stronger.

Love, brother.

46. David Hearne says

James – Rosa Parks wasn’t jumped by a white guy outside a bar at 3 am. She was part of a planned disobedience to a law and social custom. That’s why someone was there to take a picture of her doing it, you idiot.

You do however make a point. Gun control laws were first enacted to keep free blacks from having the means to attack whites, or arguably to defend themselves against whites.

47. Tim says

I choose to remain anonymous because I’m afraid. Scott Wooledge wrote on face book:

I can’t do much to help make the world safer for my friends. But I have a platform, and I’m sending out this message to gay bashers: “You can kick us. You can punch us. You can shoot us dead as you did Mark Carson and Harvey Milk. But the LGBT community will not go back to the days before Stonewall Riots and DADT repeal. We will not abandon our righteous claim to be treated equally under the US Constitution and the laws of our states. You will lose eventually.

I beg to differ, Scott may think that “we” as gays will win & the bashers will lose, but you are wrong. I have seen it all before… the gays come out & try for equal rights & the bashers come out & kick our asses & kill us. The gays go away & so do the bashers… Even if we as gays do win equal rights, the bashers will NEVER go away… they will always be there… the laws against them will just be tougher IF they are ever caught! Society as a whole hates us, they will never change, and it is a fact that most heterosexual men feel threatened by gay men, especially minority men, they feel that all gay men only have one thing on our minds, & that one thing is what they fear, so being that they feel threatened, they react the only way they know how, they fight back…

If we as gays want to stop the bashing & killings of our fellow gays, then we need to look at the bigger picture here… just because we are fighting for the equal rights doesn’t give us those rights UNTIL they are won… we need to curb our actions & put ourselves in check UNTIL we get the equal rights… we need to STOP acting as if we already won & stop displaying a show of public affection that is angering the assholes who are doing the bashing… IF & when we win, then things MIGHT be different, but I as an older gay man truly doubt it… like I said before, the bashers WILL always be there as long as we as gays want to display ourselves in public!!!

48. Kev C says

Tear gas and ju jitsu aren’t effective against these large crowds of bashers, which is becoming more common to see 8 or 10 guys at a time. Tear gas is just going to piss them off and make them more violent. We need weapons that have a deterrence factor for just displaying them. We actually need the right to keep and bear guns, which you would think we have but don’t, because of liberal nanny-state government has effectively shredded our constitutional rights.

49. says

Tim, you’re more than free to hide away from the world.

But everyone else that doesn’t will be the ones responsible for affecting the changes that you want to see, yet feel won’t happen.

because you dont’ change anything when you hide in the darkness.

50. tiko says

Taser guns – ASAP! Anything, really. If our community lies down and takes it with a “Peace and Forgiveness” attitude, there will be more of this to come. Much more.

51. Jeton Ademaj says

candlelight vigils will never stop gay-bashers, nor will love. only FEAR will discourage them…massive fear of harm.

i am saddened that Eugene went thru this…but i am not surprised. when i spoke at his rally 10 days ago i held back from talking about guns and simply addressed self-defense and weaponry in general. i was pleased that speakers at THAT rally all emphasized fighting back PHYSICALLY howsoever needed. Eugene is not the milquetoast i feared he might be.

36 hours later Mark Carson was dead and Ray Kelly was declaring it a hate crime…and horrifically, the much larger rally for him was also overloaded with speakers directly telling the assembled lgbt “we must not meet violence with violence”!!

butch or femme, small or large…those who abandon their own lives or the lives of their loved ones to the violence of hateful scum are COWARDS lower than the scum who attacked them.

these attacks will continue. don’t talk to me about Rosa Parks because she would never have survived her childhood if her father hadnt sat on his porch many nights with his SHOTGUN shining in the porchlight…ready to take on wandering Klan!

time to bash back. whistling in the onslaught is a bad joke.

52. Morton says

Hispanics and their catholicm and machismo mentality is what leads to this. Just look at Ruben Diaz. A MILITANT Nazi homophobe who consistently gets reelected by his Hispanic constituents while promoting hate for gays. And they are democrats. So clearly we have a problem with the Hispanic population in NYC and the fact that evangelism is on the rise in a city that is getting more socially conservative.

53. the valeyard says

oh. no. love will conqueer (yes, that’s on purpose) all. i’m shaking in my air jordans. lol. try “our firearms will defeat your hate”

54. ratbastard says

CORRECTION:

NYC does indeed allow pepper spray. It used to not to. My bad. However, for it to be legal, you must buy it from an approved NYS seller, be 18 or above and a non-felon. They should just allow people to use pepper spray for defensive purposes period, and allow them to get it from whatever source they choose. I imagine it has something to do with how strong the spray is, but it probably has to do with forcing people to buy their spray from businesses that lobbied state government to restrict sellers.

My state Massachusetts is even worse. You really do need some kind of firearms license to legally own and carry pepper spray! I’m sure some ‘progressive’ politicians and advocates padded their resumes after getting this stupid law passed.

55. ratbastard says

CORRECTION:

56. ratbastard says

Mr. Miller,

You’re like the obnoxious, loud, in your face, bum kissing ‘team leader’ at work, who everyone despises with a passion. Why don’t you just stick to writing posts about people’s mom and dad being anally raped. You’re very good at that. You should write violent fetish porn or something.

===================

ATTENTION CANADIANS:

Pepper spray is illegal for use as personal protection against assault in Canada, in all provinces. It’s only legal to be used against dogs and other animals. Canada bans pretty much all personal defense ‘weapons’.

57. Original Anna says

These “men” make me laugh. Women have been putting up with this crap since the beginning, oh, you “men” don’t believe in the beginning, sorry. Why are you picking up men in bars? Why are you out at 3 am and not home in bed? Why don’t you ask for protection from women since you hide behind women in school to protect yourselves from bullies instead of taking on the bullies yourselves. See, that’s your problem. You got it all turned around, you the man, you protect women not use them for pretending you like women to the world, oh, and leave the boys reaching puberty alone, maybe the baddies of society and the adolescent men would leave you alone. As for equality, you as mostly white men have had the vote in any culture you lived in unlike us women or blacks. You had the ability to marry women and hide yourself in society unlike women and blacks. Quit your bitching, you’ve had it good for too long. And I’m not for any beating or shooting of any one but as a woman I’ve lived with fear of the unknown and person walking behind me and the known person walking with me as all women have for eternity.