Crime | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Man Beaten in Hate Crime Assault in NYC's Hell's Kitchen

Lovendusky

Another anti-gay hate crime has reportedly occurred in NYC's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.

Alan Bounville, of the activist group Queer Rising, reports:

Last night, Friday, May 24th, a group of 9-10 men attacked one of my dearest friends, Eugene Lovendusky. They yelled "faggot" at Eugene as he was punched in the jaw. There have been a half-dozen, publicized violent anti-queer crimes in New York City in May 2013, including the cold-blooded murder of Mark Carson, 32, for being a "faggot."

Adds Scott Wooledge on Facebook:

This hits home as I know this man personally. There have been a spree of anti-gay hate crimes in New York City this month. As people are unable to enforce their bigotry by laws and policies, they will turn to expressing their impotent hate on the streets.

I can't do much to help make the world safer for my friends. But I have a platform, and I'm sending out this message to gay bashers: "You can kick us. You can punch us. You can shoot us dead as you did Mark Carson and Harvey Milk. But the LGBT community will not go back to the days before Stonewall Riots and DADT repeal. We will not abandon our righteous claim to be treated equally under the US Constitution and the laws of our states. You will lose eventually.

And eventually we LGBT people will meet our respective Gods with our hands clean of blood."

(via tncrm)

Comments

1. "Love Defeating Hate" is so advertising agency. Where is this love? Sadly. this violence is the back lash from too much gay exposure,
    and the GLAAD honorees certainly won't be the victims.

Posted by: Edward | May 26, 2013 4:42:18 PM

2. @Rick Unless you were just being ironic or a troll in your first of three comments, saying "decide to be men [by] learning how to fight" would do little good even for 1 or 2 tough straight guys confronted by a swarm of four or more thugs.

@Michael Pepper spray will even things out a bit, and unlike many other weapons, won't kill you if they're somehow able to grab it & use it against you.

Posted by: Jeff | May 26, 2013 4:46:51 PM

3. @Jeff Only the first two comments were mine. Obviously, the third was from Little Kiwi posting as an impostor, using my name, as he often does.

As for your point about being confronted by a gang, yes, you are right.

However, a) most attacks on gay men are one-on-one, not gang attacks--and they almost never fight back in those instances, either (look back through the Towleroad archives and find a single example to the contrary, if you can), and b) the attacks generally only occur because the "victim" is obviously gay to begin with--i.e. is behaving effeminately--so if he were not behaving in such a manner, the attack would never have occurred.

Effeminacy and cowardice go hand-in-hand and potential attackers know this, as do men in general.

And until gay men discard the culture of effeminacy which is the cause of both, then problems will continue.

Posted by: Rick | May 26, 2013 4:56:12 PM

4. @Jeff,

Rick just made all of that up. He has no idea if the victims were behaving effeminately, but he does think all gay men except him are "femmes" so he's jumped to that conclusion. And most of the attacks involve more than one attacker. Rick just said it's always a single attacker to make the victim look like the loser Rick thinks all victims are, but it's not true.

Posted by: Brian1 | May 26, 2013 5:22:22 PM

5. For example, I've never been gay bashed. Now, I'm also not out of the closet and never leave my apartment, but that doesn't change the fact that I've never been gay bashed.
    But I need to correct myself, I didn't mean to say "effeminacy and cowardice go hand-in-hand" as it's more than obvious from my postings and the comments of guys like me that it's actually anti-effeminacy and cowardice that go hand-in-hand.

Because, as you loyal lemmings of the liberal left have noticed, we self-professed masculine gay men who hate effeminate gay men can't put a face to our claims and live by any sort of example.

For two very specific reasons; we're not actually masculine, even by our own narrow definitions, and we're completely closeted cowards.

We're a pretty miserable crew.

I'd kill myself but the last thing I want to do is anything that would make my dad happy.

Posted by: Rick | May 26, 2013 5:26:02 PM

6. Whatever happened to the gay patrol groups?

Posted by: rick scatorum | May 26, 2013 7:04:16 PM

7. Just ignore "Rick" altogether please. Posting comments under his name only feeds the troll. Please stop already.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | May 26, 2013 7:06:32 PM

8. Is anyone on here old enough to remember the "Pink Panthers"?

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | May 26, 2013 7:29:29 PM

9. @David Hearne and everyone else crying that they can't find this story reported anywhere else...

Posted by: Gigi | May 26, 2013 7:39:56 PM

10. Liberals attack us again, with the aid of women. You'll find that the thugs who did this are from the Democratic Party-voting demographic.

Posted by: brian | May 26, 2013 8:15:16 PM

11. Why are all the recent hate crimes being committed by Latinos? Is there something I am missing? Aside from the one at MSG they are all hispanic.

Posted by: J Y | May 26, 2013 8:37:55 PM

12. If immigration "reform" passes, you will have even more Hispanics in New York bashing gays. Is this what you want? Is it?Is it?

Posted by: brian | May 26, 2013 9:04:14 PM

13. I guess Brian is a new alias of Rick. Same exact talking points, worded exactly the same. So tiresome.

Posted by: MateoM | May 26, 2013 10:10:19 PM

14. Gay men are more interested in drinking and f@king than in protesting.

Posted by: brian | May 26, 2013 10:10:32 PM

15. Of course, a 380 auto hollow point would be better

Posted by: David Hearne | May 26, 2013 10:16:47 PM

16. He looks like a gay basher. Have you been on his site? He sports that bald headed look which is so dated and unattractive. He's obviously not USA pretty gay, that's for sure. He manages the war from across the border. His perception is a bit warped, but always welcome. It's cliche militant angry, and very stubborn about being right.. Sound familiar?

Posted by: NewGay | May 26, 2013 10:18:45 PM

17. Yes, David Hearne, unless you're packing grenades, your precious penis pistol hits one... it's not even a guaranteed kill unless you're so delusional you think you can headshot someone in the dark under duress.

The Punisher is a fictional character.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 26, 2013 10:27:22 PM

18. Rick. As always, you are a moron. Long walk.Short Pier. Idiots' line forms to the right.

Posted by: James | May 26, 2013 10:52:58 PM

19. ...my proof? In two simple words: Rosa Parks.

If you think she shoulda been packin' heat to solve her 'whites-only' problem do you even for one moment think we'd have a president today?

So get to the roll, troll.

Posted by: James | May 26, 2013 10:55:04 PM

20. PEPPER SPRAY DOES NOT REQUIRE A LICENSE!!!!
    Stop by Arrow Pharmacy on 58th St. and 9th Ave. They have small sprayers for about $15. Perfectly legal.

Please guys, stop posting "facts" that aren't facts.

Posted by: will b | May 27, 2013 12:22:34 AM

21. I spoke with a friend who's a former cop, and word on the street is that the Dominican gangs are now sending wannabe thugs down to midtown and downtown to "beat up a fag" as part of their initiation. Pepper spray is better than nothing, but please know enough self defense (knee-capping and upper cut, also groin kick) to get yourself a 15- or 20-second lead time to run like hell and scream for help.
    ps - that said, it's VERY concerning that this happened on 42nd St. in prime tourist area.

Posted by: will b | May 27, 2013 12:31:03 AM

22. Pepper spray is not very useful. I've used it a few times on homophobes. Usually they will get angry and charge at you. If you insist on using it, spray and jump away.

Posted by: Kev C | May 27, 2013 12:53:52 AM

23. I do, Kev C. I do insist on using it. It's just one tool of many you can use to protect yourself. Please tell us more about your experiences using it.

Posted by: will b | May 27, 2013 1:34:25 AM

24. I remember spraying one drunk guy. He laid down for a few moments because the spray burns more when you're drunk. And then he hunted me for an hour while I laughed at his drunken derangement. But don't expect everyone to be as incapacitated drunk.

Posted by: Kev C | May 27, 2013 1:56:42 AM

25. I had a friend who was robbed on the subway in Chicago, with the robbers using pepper spray on HIM! This won't be the last hate crime guys, so prepare. Travel in groups. Know your surroundings. If suddenly confronted by a gang, yell FIRE! at the top of your lungs. You will confuse the perps and most likely garner a lot of attention. People do not like to be on fire. You will get more eyes and witnesses than you could ever imagine. Remember, yell FIRE! It works every time.

Posted by: millerbeach | May 27, 2013 3:05:00 AM