Comments

1. Jack M says

Amazing stuff! Harryhausen was a pioneer in the special effects field, and Jason and the Argonauts is a must-see. I loved all these movies as a child.

2. Ben Nevis says

When I was a kid, Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favorite movies. Best part for me was when those bat winged flying things stole that blind man’s food. In later years I really liked the Medusa in Clash of the Titans. Snake headed people always make me sit up and notice.

3. Mike in nyc says

What a great Artist. Exciting that new eyes will always be discovering his great work. Makes me want to watch all those early films again.

4. JSH says

I can still vividly remember being transfixed by the original CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981), which I saw when I was 11 or 12. Harryhausen’s stop-motion effects were a revelation, and he was a legend in being able to transport a moviegoer to another world through his achievements.

(Of course, the other reason I loved the movie was seeing Harry Hamlin in THAT toga, but never mind…)

5. says

The man was a legend who brought other legends to life. It speaks volumes that a stop-motion Medusa remains a more creepily-impressive presence than a CGI-created one.

Fantastic cinema was my escape as a child and a great many weekends were spent taking in the wonders he created. Thanks man, and congratulations on cementing your place in cinema history.

6. jamal49 says

I must have gone to see Jason and the Argonauts ten times as a kid when it first came out. I mean, I thought the Ray Harryhausen effects were awesome to my very young 60’s mind and all that, but I was more awed by Jason (Todd Armstrong). I had some serious fantasies about being his main Argonaut.