Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Pine in Talks to Star in ‘Into the Woods’

Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Pine are in negotiations to join Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep in the big screen adaptation of the Broadway musical Into the Woods, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

Bearded_gyllenhaalDeal-making hasn’t quite begun but the two actors met and even sang for director Rob Marshall for their respective parts and are expected to receive offers to join the star-studded cast. If deals close, Gyllenhaal and Pine would play their first on-screen singing roles.

Streep will play the plum role of the vain and charismatic Witch while Depp will play a hungry and sexy variation of a fairy tale wolf. Sources say that Gyllenhaal and Pine would play the musical’s two princes, Cinderella’s Prince and Rapunzel’s Prince, brothers who are pompous and self-absorbed.

Comments

1. Mike8787 says

Ugh, NO. Do they learn nothing from past musical-to-film failures? Casting should be excellent musical theater performers, not random celebrities!

News says they learned this lesson in casting the Baker, but these two make no sense as the Princes, and likely cannot sing Sondheim’s music.

2. luminum says

Pine’s first singing role on screen was in “Small Town Saturday Night”, and the song he sang is available on iTunes.

That said, not really enthused. I’m completely over Depp in these roles. Streep is good, but she can’t sing.

Why is Hollywood so obsessed with making musicals with people who aren’t prominent stage singers? Is there no working talent that can actually sing and dance and act?

3. says

@mike8787: good musical theater actors are not necessarily good screen actors (the opposite is true too). You need different training and/or skills for them. What they need is good screen actors who are also trained singers (or, at least, that can sing well) that must be possible to find, I guess :)) But why judge negatively before having heard them?

4. says

5. says

looking forward to it, but i’m still concerned about Streep playing the Witch.

i love me some Streep, and she was one of the three good things about Mamma Mia (despite, uh, being two decades too old for the part) and that’s the same issue here: she’s simply too old for the role, as originally written and conceived.

suddenly i’m having terrifying visions of the vaseline-filter on Lucille Ball in MAME…..

6. Bob Kegeles says

I absolutely adore this little known musical. It was filmed as a PBS special, back when they used to do that, Pippin was another I saw on PBS. Since so many of the stars we see in Hollywood films got their starts in High school drama clubs, and live theatre, we shouldn’t be surprised if they can sing and dance. Witness Hugh Jackman’s extraordinary Curly in Oklahoma.

7. Alan says

Yet another badly cast movie version of a popular American Musical Theatre! You can never train old dogs new tricks… Wake up Hollywood– there are PLENTY of qualify artists for these roles…

8. jaragon says

Are Jake and Chris going to play the Prince? Or Jake going to play the Big Bad Wolf- he is already hairy enough…. (they are both pretty but can they sing?!)

9. alex says

I have the pleasure of seeing Chris Pine in two plays (Farragut North and The Lieutenant of Inishmore). He was excellent in both roles. Granted, there was no singing in either play. But, he clearly understands theatrical acting. That’s a important factor when dealing with source material that was written by Mr. Sondheim.

10. Josh M. says

Enough with Streep! There are oodles of under-used actresses over 50 who can sing and deserve a shot! Just for starters: Midler, Close, Newton-John. Was Bernadette Peters too busy?!

11. Dback says

The Princes really only have 1 1/2 songs–“Agony” and then the reprise of it. Oh, wait, I’m wrong, Cinderella’s Prince also has the song “Moments In The Woods” with the Baker’s Wife. (“I was raised to be charming, not sincere.”) Whichever of them has the stronger voice should tackle that role. Any word on who’s playing the Baker’s Wife?

12. BroadwayBoi says

I’m sorry….but you can’t top Miss Bernadette as the witch no matter how may Oscars, SAG or Golden Globes you have. As an equity performer, I am sick of Hollywood trying to over market an amazing show by throwing popular silver screen names into the heavy demands of a vocal role. I love Ms. Streep, but she is a country singer. Not a musical theatre singer. She managed to carry her way through Mama Mia because of some pretty good sound technicians in the studio. I dont think her performances would be well received live.
    Making theatre for the masses defeats the purpose of why a lot of us work in the theatre.

13. BroadwayBoi says

14. Bob says

Yes, Yes, Yes!
    Ooops, I just came from the combination of
    Jake G and Meryl S.
    That plus Chris put me over the edge too soon.
    That never happens, really! 😉