Basketball | Jason Collins | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Jason Collins' Twin Jarron Speaks Out About His Brother: VIDEO

Jarron_collins

Jason Collins' twin brother Jarron, a former NBA player, talks about how his brother came out to him and how athletes who disagree with homosexuality because of their faith should behave toward his brother.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Like brother like brother in intelligence and a humane perspective. They must come from a wonderful family.

Oh, and like Jason he has a gorgeous smile too.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 3, 2013 2:01:49 PM

2. Family full of handsome and wise men. Ooh baby. I love these men strong enough to support people who are different from themselves. His smile is as beautiful as his brother's.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 3, 2013 2:05:08 PM

3. the 'religious objections' are ugly as heck.

and, if we can be real, also show a galling level of anti-NON-Christian prejudice.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 3, 2013 2:06:06 PM

4. Yes, asking others to be mature is the best advice I've heard yet. Maturity is a quality that homophobes completely lack.

Jarron is worth his weight in gold!

Posted by: Jack M | May 3, 2013 2:23:50 PM

5. I honestly wouldn't mind the anti-gay christian rhetoric if they were consistent with their beliefs. Call out those who get a divorce. Call out pre-marital sex. Call out those with children born out of wedlock. Call out anyone who mixes fabrics. Call out anyone who has a tattoo or eats shellfish. Call out women who have sex with their husbands on their period. Call out any married couple that is having sex for enjoyment and not for procreating. According to Christian doctrine all sin is equal so if being gay is a sin it's equal to all that I've listed yet you don't see organizations actively boycotting these things. You want to know why? It's because they know they'd never make any leeway with these kind of boycotts. The reason they can attack gay people is because they do tend to win sometimes. Thankfully that trend is shifting switfly but not fast enough.

Posted by: Derrick | May 3, 2013 2:37:27 PM

6. His brother is intelligent just like him. I loved how he articulated himself when answering the questions. Everything he said was on point and he's the epitome of a brother, showing unconditional love and understanding to his twin. Very well done, sir.

Posted by: TY | May 3, 2013 2:59:16 PM

7. Good interview. Let's hope Jarron never agrees to go on ESPN. They would bring on their resident homophobe, Chris Broussard, for the response.

Posted by: Ninong | May 3, 2013 3:01:59 PM

8. Oops! That *was* ESPN. My bad. I guess they're trying to make amends.

Posted by: Ninong | May 3, 2013 3:03:22 PM

9. What I experienced and glad to hear in this interview was each person has to be comfortable with coming out. I mentioned this to my best friend 22 years ago and that was the moment it hit her, that it's not about her and how comfortable she feels regardless if she knew. I had to be comfortable first. I just love these guys. Wonderful family.

Posted by: Maverick69 | May 3, 2013 3:13:43 PM

10. LOL,

notice the number of comments on this story compared to the number on the Antoine story and the Asante Samuel story.

The Ku Klux Klan b.tches aren't interested in Jarron or Jason. They want Asante and Broussard and poor Antoine. LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 3, 2013 3:25:02 PM

11. Derrick, that's (as we both know) because they can't look at this story and blame black people for their own white families' intolerance of them.

anti-gay stories about black people are their food. why? because hating blacks is a lovely distraction from the fact that their own white right-wing conservative families loathe them.

pro-gay stories involving members of the black communities? those just inspire rage in them. so they avoid it.

for them, hating blacks is the last thing that they have in common with the scum that birthed them :D

#NotALiberalProblem

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 3, 2013 3:31:47 PM

12. Buzzfeed penned a good article titled, "Yes, It Matters that Jason Collins is Black and Gay". I have read snarky comments on this site and others as to why he stated the 'obvious' -- that he is black. Well, the article will provide some insight.

Posted by: Belthazar | May 3, 2013 4:06:54 PM

13. What wonderful people the Collins brothers are!

I'm 30 and can't fathom what it would have been like when I was plying high school basketball in the late 90s to have an openly gay pro player on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Posted by: Brian H/ | May 3, 2013 4:31:00 PM

14. That's a really awesome family.

Posted by: MikeB | May 3, 2013 4:50:45 PM

15. Little Kiwi,

you've got it right. But I was so naive. In the 1970's the Gay people who came out back then seemed to be accepting of everyone, and maybe they were--THE ONES THAT WERE OUT OF THE CLOSET.

Now, all these conformist Gays have come out over the last 30+ years and they have the same prejudices and bigotries as the hetero world(just as you say).

I'm not sure that I ever knew the extent of anti-Black sentiment among White Gays until I discovered Towleroad 8 years ago. And I have been harshly criticized by other Blacks for my presence and performance on this blog.

Oh, the irony: so many White Gays complain about rampant Black homophobia while at the same time they are rabid anti-Black racists themselves (and a few are Korean too):-)

I laugh at 'em now. Child, please.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 3, 2013 5:10:27 PM

16. @Derrick from Philly

I feel you. bro, the racism on this blog does get to be a bit much at times.

To be more precise about it, for me it's not even so much the racism (personally, I expect a white person to be overtly or covertly racist until proven otherwise) it's the irony and the hypocrisy that gets me...especially since many of these white gays expect black people to treat them better than their own Mom, Dad, and siblings, many of whom express equally vile homophobic sentiments.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 3, 2013 5:53:59 PM

17. "since many of these white gays expect black people to treat them better than their own Mom, Dad, and siblings, many of whom express equally vile homophobic sentiments."

Absolutely. I never thought of it that way. But that's exactly what you and Little Kiwi have been talking about:

"it's one thing for other white folks to put me down, BUT not you n-words. I'm better than you....aint I?"

LOL. They make me laugh.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 3, 2013 6:09:38 PM

18. DOGGONE... I mean, his brother's cute, but he's DREAMY.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 3, 2013 8:37:19 PM

19. I wish I had a brother like him...

Posted by: Chaz | May 4, 2013 10:58:45 AM