Crime | New Jersey | News

'Kai the Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker' Wanted in Beating Death of NJ Lawyer: VIDEO

Kai

Caleb Lawrence McGillvary, a 34-year-old man who became internet famous after a video of his life-saving efforts against a man who thought he was Jesus Christ went viral on YouTube, is now wanted in the beating death of a NJ lawyer.

ABC News reports:

He was last seen at a light rail station in the Haddonfield, New Jersey area, said Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow. McGillvary is considered to be armed and dangerous. The Camden County Prosecutor's Office said that McGillvary is likely no longer in New Jersey and there is "no immediate danger in Haddonfield."

McGillvary is homeless but considers himself "homefree" and relies on the generosity of strangers for food, lodging and transportation.

The AP adds:

Joseph Galfy, Jr., was found dead in his home Monday, two days after authorities said he met McGillvary in New York City. He was found wearing only his underwear and socks by police who went to his home to check on his well-being, the prosecutor said.

Statements posted on McGillvary's Facebook page following the homicide indicated the encounter was sexual in nature, Romankow said, though he declined to go into specific detail.

On his Facebook page, McGillvary's last post, dated Tuesday, asks "what would you do?" if you awoke in a stranger's house and found you'd been drugged and sexually assaulted. One commenter suggests hitting him with a hatchet — and McGillvary's final comment on the post says, "I like your idea."

Watch ABC7's news report, AFTER THE JUMP...

After McGillvary's video went viral, he appeared on Jimmy Kimmel, and has since "traded on that celebrity to meet fans across the country," the AP adds.

UPDATE: McGillvary has been arrested at a Philly bus station.

Comments

1. "what would you do?" Tie the guy up while he was still asleep as quickly as possible and call the cops. Rape is terrible. Murder does not right a wrong.

Posted by: MateoM | May 16, 2013 7:08:26 PM

2. If he was drugged and raped, why didn't he call the police, report it and have an exam as well as a blood test to detect drugs in his system? Let's see if he tries to use the Gay Panic defense.

Posted by: RONTEX | May 16, 2013 7:30:24 PM

3. So a homeless guy who is clearly insane makes up a weird story and we're supposed to be empathetic? I've been drugged at gay bars twice and saved in both cases by straight male strangers who essentially carried me home. Non-US citizens and straight guys often seem more caring than gay men, and no I'm not self-loathing.

Posted by: Paul R | May 16, 2013 7:41:23 PM

4. Paul R, way to generalize. Just because some gay men didn't rush to your aide does't mean we all wouldn't.

Posted by: MateoM | May 16, 2013 8:03:34 PM

5. Typical hippie-gone-bad syndrome, showing their true homophobic nature. Expect he'll become a muslim in prison.

Posted by: Kev C | May 16, 2013 8:36:38 PM

6. Kev C: is that you Rick? I see you got a new alias.

Posted by: MateoM | May 16, 2013 8:44:06 PM

7. MateoM, I don't know who that is, or who you are. But if you remember the 60s and 70s, hippies supported black, feminist and environmental causes, but not gay causes.

Posted by: Kev C | May 16, 2013 8:57:06 PM

8. The gay panic defense!!!!

Posted by: jaragon | May 16, 2013 9:06:17 PM

9. The gay panic defense!!!!

Posted by: jaragon | May 16, 2013 9:06:20 PM

10. I knew when I read the man's obituary that he was a nice 70-something gay man who workers described as conscientious who made the mistake of picking up this loser and bringing him to his home.

Posted by: MIke | May 16, 2013 9:21:11 PM

11. @MateoM: Note the use of the qualifier "often." Not the same as "always." I live in SF, I was drugged by gay men in the Castro, and I was helped by people who weren't gay. That's my experience; it's not saying that I hate gay men or they're all evil. I've dated a few, after all.

Yes it was a broad generalization. Sorry. But I lost my job because of one incident (went to the holiday party afterward and acted kooky) and got a concussion that required a hospital stay after another.

Posted by: Paul R | May 16, 2013 10:18:49 PM

12. This Kai character HUSTLES. This wasn't the first time he went home with an older gay man. Probably has other hustles,too. He's just a 'charming' [on the surface, guarantee you he has a dark side, and people will come forward about how they were afraid of him] sociopathic hustler. Anyone who has known such guys instantly recognize it in others like Kai. The dead man made a fatal mistake picking up this roughtrade. Just my opinion.

Apparently cops are now checking a series of unsolved murders along the route he took traveling across the country. He may turn out to be a prolific serial killer.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 17, 2013 12:02:06 AM

13. Wake up you old f**ks! Young dudes are not interested in your ass. They will not be your boyfriend, your f**k buddy, your lover or your roommate unless you can pay for it. Still, paying for it can get your ass killed.

Posted by: modern meet | May 17, 2013 1:27:19 AM