Crime | New York | News

Police Release Footage of 8 Knicks Fans Wanted in Violent Attack on Gay Couple: VIDEO

Knicks_vid

Earlier this week I reported on an attack on a gay couple that took place on Sunday afternoon near Madison Square Garden. The attackers were wearing NY Knicks gear (a game was happening at the time) and a bystander provided police with some cell phone images of one of the attackers.

GaycrimeNick Porto and his partner Kevin Atkins were assaulted by a group of men using homophobic slurs as they walked arm-in-arm on Eighth Avenue at 34th street after having brunch.

On Tuesday, police released a photo of one of the suspects and now they have released video showing seven others they want to question regarding the attacks.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at www.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.com or by texting tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then entering TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

Comments

1. A thug is thug is a thug. Low lifes who brutally attacked two very nice men who were enjoying their Sunday together, bothering no one. Attacked in broad daylight in midtown Manhattan in 2013! Depressing. What must be done? When does this stop?

Posted by: jamal49 | May 10, 2013 8:05:03 AM

2. Yesterday, I used the term "thug" to describe the young men in the video. I didn't realize it until this morning that until they are found guilty they are not "thugs", they are young men on a surveillance video.

Years ago I argued with a graduate student from the African-American Studies department at our university. He told me, "you don't know if the boys in the Central Park Jogger Case are guilty."

I said, "but they confessed, they knew certain details of the crime."

He gave me a look that brought me much deserved shame. And the expression on his face said, "you ought to know the history of how police departments in our country extract confessions from citizens-especially minority youth."

The young men in the Central Park Jogger case spent 10 years in jail for a crime they did NOT commit.

The young men the above video are innocent until proven guilty, right?

When I got up this morning I worried over my use of the word "thug". When I looked into my bathroom mirror I could have sworn I saw Clarence Thomas for a second in the relection. Shame.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 10, 2013 9:19:22 AM

3. @S.c.

9000 police and intelligence personnel were working on finding the Boston bombers. BPD,police departments around Greater Boston, MA state police, FBI, CIA, NSA ...front page news around the world.

2 guys getting assaulted after a Knicks game in midtown/Chelsea isn't exactly high priority. Folks planning on being in the area are well advised to be aware when there are home games at the garden, start times and estimated end times. I'm always aware of home games being played by the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics here in Boston, partly because I frequently must be in areas that are heavily impacted with additional crowds by home games, not necessarily because I'm afraid of being gay bashed. You of course get a lot of drunk people before and after games, many hang around at bars afterwards, also. So yeah, it's an environment you want to be aware of.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2013 9:21:41 AM

4. Matias Reyes is the Central Park jogger rapist. Here's his story:

Portrait of a Serial Rapist:

Effing savage.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2013 9:27:46 AM

5. VICTIM's FUND

Posted by: Mick | May 10, 2013 12:09:44 PM

6. Keep the heat on, guys. I don't have all that much faith in the NYPD to follow through on this and nail those punk a-holes.

Posted by: mikeinqueens | May 10, 2013 3:20:34 PM